i.MX6 image with kernel 3.14 from solidrun

• Sadly I can't setup ARC with my Samsung TV UE40JU7090 and AV receiver Onkyo TX-SR508. I think I had this already running when I got TV few months back and don't understand why now doesn't work anymore. Maybe some TV upgrade.
    Meaning I can't reproduce this issue to try to fix it... Any tip welcome.

Edit: Having it working yesterday and today doesn't work anymore.

Edited once, last by vpeter (September 10, 2016 at 9:15 AM).

• Sadly I can't setup ARC with my Samsung TV UE40JU7090 and AV receiver Onkyo TX-SR508. I think I had this already running when I got TV few months back and don't understand why now doesn't work anymore. Maybe some TV upgrade.
    Meaning I can't reproduce this issue to try to fix it... Any tip welcome.

Edit: Having it working yesterday and today doesn't work anymore.

Sounds weird. Haven't had any issues with my TV's stuff. I would contact the samsung support for that or factory reset the tv.
    Well I think the key to fixing my CEC issue is that all the new CEC related stuff from the xbian kernel version needs to be backported to the 3.14 kernel version.
    But I think I'll have bought rpi3 before this issue is fixed if there are no devs. :(

• At the end I did managed to get arc function in work. Will try to reproduce your issue and if I can repeat that then I will also tried to fix it. If not it will stay as is.

• At the end I did managed to get arc function in work. Will try to reproduce your issue and if I can repeat that then I will also tried to fix it. If not it will stay as is.

No worries, thanks for all the help so far. :)
    Just ordered rpi3 kit.
    Going to sell my cubox if it sells.

• Hello,

vpeter, may I add to this post? If it is not the appropriate place, I will create a new post.

I installed your image with the 3.14 kernel to test it. If you saw my responses on other posts, I have the same problem with Kodi not being able to load after installation of LibreELEC 7.0.2 on SD card. So I installed your image and had no problems booting up.

However, I am primarily concerned with having good live TV so I tested both tvheadends (4.0 and 4.2) and all the variations of deinterlacing options on many channels. The problem is that my Cubox-i4x4 cannot deinterlace many channels adequately. Either the video lags way behind or there is video stuttering. Additionally, switching between channels is really slow, there are frequent freezes, continuity errors (primarily with 4.2).

With LibreELEC 7.0.2 and tvheadend on that version I finally had good deinterlacing, good enough to finally use that version for live TV and recording. But, as you know, I cannot install LibreELEC 7.0.2 on SD card on Cubox and successfully boot up, no matter how many times I tried. If you saw my previous post, the way I got LibreELEC 7.0.2 to successfully boot up and work is by installing OpenELEC 6.0.3 on SD card, installing LibreELEC 7.0.2 on USB flash drive then changing the uEnv.txt on OpenELEC installation to boot from USB flash drive. Ok, it was a workable solution until I needed to use a USB hard drive AND cardreader (to watch encrypted channels that I pay for). Cubox only has 2 USB ports and I do not want to go buy USB hub for this reason.

My question to you and other imx6 gurus is how come LibreELEC 7.0.2 with Kodi 16 can boot successfully by first booting the OpenELEC 6.0.3 from SD card then booting LibreELEC, yet it cannot boot up when it is directly installed on SD card? LibreELEC still has to boot and still has to go through the boot process and run Kodi in the same way, whether OpenELEC runs first or LibreELEC runs by itself. So what is different that allows LibreELEC to boot after OpenELEC boots? By the way, I tried the same thing with your image (3.14 kernel image on SD card and my 7.0.2 LibreELEC on USB flash drive) and that DID NOT WORK. Interesting.

Final question, if nobody can answer or do not want to, can anyone tell me how to install LibreELEC on the USB hard drive? That way I can at least eliminate the extra USB flash drive. I can't find any information on the forums or Internet on how to to this.

Thank you ahead of time for any help. If you suggest to create a new post, please let me know.

• Final question, if nobody can answer or do not want to, can anyone tell me how to install LibreELEC on the USB hard drive? That way I can at least eliminate the extra USB flash drive. I can't find any information on the forums or Internet on how to to this.

It's not about not want to answer. Sometimes there are just no answer possible. I can't fix problems I can't reproduce. I can't even fix problems I can reproduce if they are some deep imx6 related stuff. This platform just newer got much attention from devs (there are only few who has knowledge about it - and I'm not one of them). I wish I could make perfect 100% working image but I think this will newer happen. I think 7.0.2 was very close to that (for some).

And about installing to USB: You still need SD card to boot from. The procedure is the same as for RPi (boot from sd card, system from usb).

• It's not about not want to answer. Sometimes there are just no answer possible. I can't fix problems I can't reproduce. I can't even fix problems I can reproduce if they are some deep imx6 related stuff. This platform just newer got much attention from devs (there are only few who has knowledge about it - and I'm not one of them). I wish I could make perfect 100% working image but I think this will newer happen. I think 7.0.2 was very close to that (for some).

And about installing to USB: You still need SD card to boot from. The procedure is the same as for RPi (boot from sd card, system from usb).

vpeter, I understand everything you said. Thanks for all the info up to this point.

I ended up installing LibreELEC 7.0.2 (as you said, for me this is the "almost" 100% working image) on the USB hard drive. It works great. I had to boot up from SD card using OpenELEC 6.0.3 but then point to the hard drive to boot LibreELEC. This image gives me the best deinterlacing options and great tvheadend version. All other things work well enough for me and with the USB hard drive it seems faster than from USB flash drive.

I am going with this setup for now. I do not think I will change unless I start having issues with live TV and recording.

Thank you for all the help and great work you are doing.
    [hr]

I don't know, maybe this is the exact same problem. I do know that the problem is with Kodi booting up, and not LibreELEC itself. LibreELEC can boot up but once Kodi starts booting, then the problem happens. So I'm not sure u-boot issue you referenced affects Kodi in this way.

Does anyone know?

Edited once, last by pajtaz (September 20, 2016 at 9:04 AM).

• Thank you vpeter.

I had to use your 3.14 kernel versions to get LibreELEC to properly run on my Cubox earlier. I will try this image just to see if it's worth it (tvheadend was unusable in 7.90.004 kernel 3.14 version - constant freezing and Kodi crashing when switching channels - think it had something to do with audio. For same channels, PCM was being outputted in 7.90.004 but Dolby Digital in 7.0.2). Right now with 7.0.2 I have pretty much perfect deinterlacing - finally! - thank you for that!!!

• Vpeter,

I think the issue I mentioned above with newer released of your 3.14 kernel LibreELEC had to do with me booting from USB drive (after booting from SD card). I guess first booting from SD card then booting from USB drive causes some drivers not to be loaded (at least IR receiver and wireless chip, from my experience).

Anyway, I still know two bugs with newer versions.

1. One is with EPG Search. It doesn't work. It was supposed to be fixed in Kodi 17 alpha but I tried the betas you made and it's still there on Cubox. See this post:
    PVR Search broken?

Maybe this fix doesn't get incorporated into your Cubox builds or for all LibreELEC builds in general.

2. The other bug is that the recordings play horribly slow when using TV->Recordings when playing from networked PVR running tvheadend. It's incredibly slow file transfer from my Ubuntu-running PVR machine to any Kodi (Cubox or Windows 7 version). Same issue happens if I add the share using SMB. However if I mount the same share using the kernel, the file transfer is what it should be and then I can play the recordings fine.

I can work around the second issue although I visually the recordings are not displayed the same way in the Videos sectino. The first issue sounds like it should be fixed but it's not.

What do you think?

• 1.) seems kodi issue?
    2.) try setting ethernet speed to 100mbit

Code
    ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full

Thanks for the quick reply.

1) It is present on both Kodi 16.1 and 17 beta 3. Seemingly it is present in all LibreELEC builds so maybe the proposed fix is not being incorporated during the LibreELEC build process?
    2) It would not be worth it to downgrade speed to 100 mbit. I solve the problem by mounting using the kernel and then I get normal speeds (but I can't get the "nice" display of recordings when looking at the list of video files). It is something related to how Kodi accesses SMB shares. It does not seem related to the network adapter.