CPU Upgrade on old PC?

• I want to be able to live stream tv and live sports from Portugal / Europe...

Currently I have an Intel E2160 with 4GB DDR2 RAM and a Nvidia GT 710. Spectrum Cable Internet (hardwired to pc)

• My motherboards maximum upgrade is an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 so is this upgrade worth it? or should I invest in a whole new motherboard?
  • Personally I would try LE on what you have, with LE installed on a USB flash drive. If it works, then fine. If not, then you'd be better off looking at other alternatives AML, RPi which would be cheaper and probably better than your current spec.

• I want to be able to live stream tv and live sports from Portugal / Europe...

Currently I have an Intel E2160 with 4GB DDR2 RAM and a Nvidia GT 710. Spectrum Cable Internet (hardwired to pc)

• My motherboards maximum upgrade is an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 so is this upgrade worth it? or should I invest in a whole new motherboard?

If your electricity costs are low you're fine with this system and you can also upgrade to the E8600 or else. I had an E8400 in the past and ran LE8 on it. Anyway your GPU will do the main job and features VDPAU feature set C so most standard stuff should be decoded by this card.

But as Iridium stated before any ARM box will basically do the same job and draws way less power while being completely silent.