Web browser for RPi

• Hi.

I'd like to install a real web browser in LibreELEC on my RPi3B+ install.

I've search in official addons but I can't find. I tried to install several "Web Interface" extensions but no one can launch.

Also, I can't find any "Chromium" add-on in the repositories.

What did I not understand ?

/shrug

• Oh f...

Thank you for your answer, this will save me hours of unsuccessful searches.

But, do you know if it could be available on later versions of LE or not ? Or if there are unofficial repositories that could give a minimal web browser ?

• People have compiled Chromium to be used with a GBM back-end and a large number of people have pointed this out to us since we are generally moving towards a V4L2/GBM video pipeline in Kodi. There's no guarantees this will be viable though, and we've maintained Chromium in the past and found it to be a rapidly iterating pain in the rear to keep current. TL/DR; don't hold your breath.

• Chrome/ium with GBM is very experimental and a pain in the ass to maintain (self building Chromium is really nothing anyone wants anymore). I still hope that Kodi get the browser integrated via CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) that would solve all our problems. Its basically the only missing part at Kodi to a full fledged HTPC software - there is already an older very pre alpha demo of that. Sadly no timeframe at all.

• Hi with the advent of Pi 4 4gb isn't it really about time this lack of a web browser was addressed? I do think that libreelec is the best and specifically bought the 4GB pi 4 to run libreelec but I do miss a web browser, so any chance guys and gals?

• Hi with the advent of Pi 4 4gb isn't it really about time this lack of a web browser was addressed? I do think that libreelec is the best and specifically bought the 4GB pi 4 to run libreelec but I do miss a web browser, so any chance guys and gals?

I think there is no chance. A modern web browser already is a media player in many ways. On a lean OS you don't want that double-dip. Second point: There is a strong dependency between GUI design and prefered input device. For LE the prefered input device is a TV remote control, but for a web browser it's mouse and keyboard.