Status of NanoPC-T4 (RK3399)

• Looks like the device-tree was merged for Linux 5.1 (see [v5,1/5] arm64: dts: rockchip: Add DT for NanoPC-T4 - Patchwork) so it should be picked up in the mainline rebase work at some point. If someone submits a valid Linux 4.4 device-tree to @kwiboo's rockchip kernel repo it can probably find it's way into the ongoing alpha releases for RK hardware. Otherwise I have nothing to add .. I'm not that involved in the RK work.

• For everyone who has this particular board NanoPC-T4, you can get a working version LibreELEC by following these steps:

1. Grab the LibreELEC image for ROCKPro64 from Index of /
    2. Burn the image to SDCard
    3. Boot the SDCard and you will get into LibreELEC, you can shutdown the board now
    4. Grab the dtb file from Sendspace.com Mobile File or MEGA
    5. You'll need to replace the file on the SDCard's boot partition with the one you downloaded from Step 4
    6. You're all done and now you can enjoy your fully working LibreELEC

Note: Steps 4 & 5 are needed if you want to have a working Ethernet, Wi-Fi & Bluetooth.

You can do this till this board gets Official Builds start rolling.

• Hello everybody,

i also own a Nano PC T-4 and use the aarch64 images from balbes150 at

https://yadi.sk/d/qgyvmkow5oqcha

as well the DTB from above.

So I can use WiFi, Bluetooth and EMMC.

Because the WiFi adapter is not always recognized, I have under

/storage/.config/modules-load.d/ a file bcmdhd.conf created with the following content: UPDATE 20190322

Code
    brcmfmac
    brcmutil
    bcmdhd

So WiFi starts without delay.

Edited once, last by JerryPenguin (March 22, 2019 at 12:48 PM).

• Greetings,

I am new here and this is my first post (apologies upfront). I am tad confused in what are the exact steps if one has the NanoPi M4? Can someone clarify what is the proper working LibreELEC to install that has everything working?

Thank you kindly!

• Greetings Jerry,

Thank you! I was not aware the NanoPi M4 was same as NanoPC T4.

Thank you for that info!

^^

• Greetings Jerry,

Thank you! I was not aware the NanoPi M4 was same as NanoPC T4.

Thank you for that info!

^^

Greetings Jerry,

So I got everything working except one thing. When I go to Add-ons >Install from LibreELEC repository> LibreELEC Add-ons says it can't be launched. I'm trying to install the InputStream.Adaptive driver. Can anyone help? I need this for Netflix.

Thank you.

Edited 2 times, last by Mario.D (March 7, 2019 at 5:58 PM).

• Hello, So i just got a NanoPi M4, i have loaded "LibreELEC-RK3399.arm-9.1-nightly-20190311-28f2bb3-rockpro64.img.gz" and i see in the display settings within Kodi, the resolution is max @ 1920x1080p. There is no listing for 4k. how can this be resolved?

So, after doing a little digging, i have noticed that these modes are avilable when running the following command.

LibreELEC:~ # cat /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/modes

1280x720p60

1920x1080p60

1920x1080p50

1280x720p50

720x576p50

720x480p60

What log files would you like to see or command outputs?

Many thanks

Edited once, last by MrTiptop (March 18, 2019 at 10:17 AM).

• I can't comment on this as I don't have a 4k Display.

• Well I figure out how to get it installed. It's part of the install of the Netflix. Yeay I have Netflix now working!

For everyone else, here is my NanoPi M4 happy in an aluminum anidees case. I like it a lot, unlike the one recommended as it's open with no protection. The anidees is VERY well made and fits it perfectly. I just needed to make it work but it was easy.

What I did/used:

1. 3 pure copper plates on top of the processor with thermo tape and thermo tape on the inside bottom of the case so the CPU is using the case as a heat-sink just like the Flirc.

2. 12v fan right on top of the board to get the temps even lower and the temps after 3 hours of running never go above 135 F. I've seen 140 F spikes but they go back down to 135 F under a minute.

3. Added 2.5 mm aluminum spacers under each screw on the top acrylic top to allow the hot air to escape.

4. Raspberry Pi heat-sinks on the memory chips and the USB 3.0 chip. Not sure if they are needed but I added them.

5. Using a Rii remote also to control everything-works perfectly.

I think the NanoPi M4 is happy in the case. I really like this board!

Edited once, last by Mario.D (March 18, 2019 at 7:45 PM).

• Nice work, what build are you using? Are you plugged in to a 4K display? once i get the native 4k @ 60Hz working, ill start testing Audio and Video findings.

• Nice work, what build are you using? Are you plugged in to a 4K display? once i get the native 4k @ 60Hz working, ill start testing Audio and Video findings.

Build from this thread. The nightly build one? 20190227, they all seem to work one way or another. Don't bother with anything from here: Rockchip – LibreELEC it will all crash and fail sooner or later. For me it was sooner. Tested on a slow 8GB card to see and got three recovery failed boots and lost everything three times in a row. So don't bother until there is a true release.

Not on a 4K yet cause I'm still configuring it, but I have played 4K video with no issues via YouTube. I have a 4K TV and eventually will connect to just play, but the true reason for this build is to connect to a projector for projecting onto a 90" screen.

Only issue I have is (was - see below) the Wi-Fi will not stay on after a shut down/reboot. Sometimes it's on and sometimes it's not connected. I have to go to settings and flip it off then off again to make it work. I know there was a post to put the file dtb somewhere but I can't understand how?!

It was posted:

Because the WiFi adapter is not always recognized, I have under

/storage/.config/modules-load.d/ a file bcmdhd.conf created with the following content:

bcmdhd

So WiFi starts without delay.

Huh where? HELP??!!

Update: I think I figured it out. I found the folder, and created a file there called bcmdhd.conf with notepad and only put in "bcmdhd" and rebooted a few times and the Wi-Fi seems to work now?! Yeeay. I also put the file rk3399-rockpro64.dtb in that directory, not sure it it was needed or not but it seems to work now. I was going crazy trying to figure out why I can't stream anything thinking it was that plugin like Netflix or Crackle etc. Thank you Jerry Penguin for your post. You have my NanoPi M4 working sweetly!

Edited 4 times, last by Mario.D (March 19, 2019 at 12:41 AM).

• Not on a 4K yet cause I'm still configuring it, but I have played 4K video with no issues via YouTube. I have a 4K TV and eventually will connect to just play, but the true reason for this build is to connect to a projector for projecting onto a 90" screen.

Can i please ask you to test it connected to a 4K display? If go into settings -> Display, what options are whitelisted and what resolution options can you select?

• Can i please ask you to test it connected to a 4K display? If go into settings -> Display, what options are whitelisted and what resolution options can you select?

So here is what I found when I connected the NanoPi M4 directly via HDMI to a Hisense 55" 4K HDR TV using LibreELEC.

Using Netflix, played "Golden Eye" that is stated as 1080p by Netflix. In the player's settings, Kodi, I can select 1920x1080 50/60 Hz, and 1280x720 50/60 Hz only.

Here is what you wanted to know specifically; In LibreELEC, Display> Settings, I can see and select all the display settings and all the different Hz's, 1920x1080, 1280x720 etc. with each of 50/60 Hz. I also can see all the displays resolutions in the white list also, ie: 1920x1080, 1280x720 etc. with each of 50/60 Hz value.

Hope that helps.

Edited once, last by Mario.D (March 20, 2019 at 8:39 PM).

• Ok, thanks for this. So i have done some more research and it seems that the Kodi GUI is limited to 1920x1080p and this is the max resolution you can get out of Kodi GUI (which is not bad otherwise you might struggle to see what you doing). I need to check later whether or not the resultion automatically changes when you select to play a 4K movie. I was able to play 4K movie files but they were a little choppy.

Mario.D , can i ask you to test playing a standard 4K MKV/any local 4K file. Once its playing can you please follow these instructions? and take a photo of the outputs?

Link: Video playback - Official Kodi Wiki

6 Player Process Info

Video Playback OSD 08.jpg

The Player Process Information OSD details the Audio and Video codecs in use, along with system memory and cpu usage.

The OSD can be activated using one of the following methods...

• Pressing o on a keyboard
    • Pressing the equiveland key on your remote control. This is not a standard button press and will need to be mapped to your remote control. See: Keymap Editor
    • Using one of the remote control Apps, special functions are available to activate and deactivate this OSD

See also: Codecinfo

7 Player Debug Info

Video Playback OSD 09.jpg

The Player Debug Info screen displays dynamic data of the current audio/video stream.

• Pressing ctrl+⇧ Shift+o on a keyboard
    • Pressing the equiveland key on your remote control. This is not a standard button press and will need to be mapped to your remote control. See: Keymap Editor
    • Using one of the remote control Apps, special functions are available to activate and deactivate this OSD

VSyncOffIndicates the offset between the vertical sync signal of the display and the timestamps of the video frames. This offset is used for a/v sync. If VSyncOff is greater than zero and constant, all good. If the value shows 0.0, the framerate (fps) of the video does not match the refresh rate (Hz) of the display.

See also: Codecinfo

8 Display Info

Video Playback OSD 10.jpg

The Display Information screen displays the View Mode, Aspect Ratio and other display related data.

• Pressing z on a keyboard

The following data is displayed

View ModeThe zoom/crop/stretch mode currently in use. For available options See: Video Settings above.SizingInformation about the output display of the video stream(Resolution of video)->(Output resolution. Shows upscaling if any) (If any zoom has been applied) AR:Aspect Ratio of video (Pixels: Pixel ratio in use) (VShift: Amount of Vertical Shift applied)See: Video Settings above.Screen resolutionReported resolution to Kodi. Usually the resolution set on the graphics card, and the TV may then further upscale. Also displays the type of Full Screen in use.

Ill do the same this evening and post my findings..

Appreciate the help.