Intel NUC All in One Remote Solutions

• Marciano  didjean  jbinkley60  blueribb  chewitt

I have a NUC8I7BEH (has HDMI-CEC and IR support), similar NUC models apply.. I want to be able to power on/off the NUC and TV (with the same button?), and be able to navigate LibreELEC/Kodi with the same remote.

My take is this can be done by either HDMI-CEC or IR infrared remotes.. what remote setups are you all using with the NUC that accomplish this?

Edited once, last by mrc00l88 (December 29, 2018 at 8:35 PM).

• I use a Harmony 650 with the Microsoft Media Center Extender program. I don't use HDMI-CEC on either of my NUC set-ups.

With that remote do you use the internal NUC IR controller? Does that remote turn on/off with the press of the power button and all that good stuff? Much config needed?

I'd just be installing LibreELEC as the OS, separate from Windows so not sure about the Media Center Extender program? Are you running Kodi on Windows or?

Appreciate the response, thank you.

Edited once, last by mrc00l88 (December 29, 2018 at 9:56 PM).

• I have (2) 3rd gen Intel i5 NUC's. They do not contain internal IR support, so I use external USB compatible IR receivers. I run Libreelec 8.2.5 on both NUC's. I also run Kodi on (2) Windows 10 desktops for testing only. One Windows 10 desktop is also the file server for my gigabit wired network. The Microsoft Media Center Extender program is the Harmony 650 Remote's name used for the compatible key functions. You select it when setting up your Harmony Remote.

Since my NUC's are quite old, I use "suspend" instead of power off. I think the newer NUC's can be powered on and off without using the suspend mode.

The only extra configuration was setting up extra button functions on the remote using Kodi's Keymap Editor Add-on.

• I have a NUC 8i7BEH and am using a Harmony 650. See this thread for some issues I've encountered with the built-in IR sensitivity. I too use the Harmony software for key / button mapping. I've had one button I mapped with an override using the Kodi keymap editor.

• Thanks guys. I have the Harmony remote bookmarked.

Has anyone come across an IR remote that also has keyboard/mouse? For example I have this remote in the picture now, but it just has a USB dongle believe for RF.

2qv5yj5.jpg

Also, any possible way to make a speaker system (Logitech Z623) that didn't come with IR, work with the Harmony or any IR remote? Via adapter or something?

• I use the internal ir for my nuc, DN2820FYKH

I select Intel as manufacturer & DN2829FYKH as the model. this is on my 350, but its the same for the 650.

You can use the learn, function to add commands from your tv remote.

• I’m using a Minix Neo A2 air/gyroscopic mouse/remote (wifi). Amazon sells these for around $25 and available online worldwide. It includes a wifi dongle and works with no config on my two NUCs (5th gen and 8th gen) with LibreElec 9, plug and play (although I haven’t got it to turn turn the NUCs on/off yet, the on/off button is IR apparently)

https://www.amazon.com/minix-keyboard-six-axis-gyroscope-technology/dp/b016oabw8s

The gyroscopic mouse it really nice to use and no reception problems even it large rooms.

• Thanks. I'm using the RF keyboard/mouse remote as in the image I posted.. trying to get the NUC to Power On via USB S5 State.. can't seem to get it to work.

Has anyone been able to get Power On/Wake via USB activity - to work on the NUC?

Has anyone come across an IR remote that also has keyboard/mouse? For example I have this remote in the picture now, but it just has a USB dongle believe for RF.

Also, any possible way to make a speaker system (Logitech Z623) that didn't come with IR, work with the Harmony or any IR remote? Via adapter or something?

NOT an remote with keyboard/mouse: I use as Keyboard a "Perixx Periboard-701 Plus".

Has a touchpad, an RF-Key and great battery-life. size: like a notebook keyboard

alas sold anymore.

I guest this might work:

Perixx PERIBOARD-706PLUS, Wireless Mini Keyboard with Trackball - Nano Receiver - On/Off Switch - 2xAAA Brand Batteries Included

Sound:

As I'm using a computer monitor with 3.5 mm audio out I'm able to drive my speaker via remote (Harmony 350 <=> internal IR, turns NUC OFF)

dito connecting 3.5 mm at the nuc's 3.5 mm audio out (my nuc: D34010WYKH)

Edited once, last by GDPR-7: typO (January 4, 2019 at 9:56 PM).

• Thanks all. I decided to stick with this remote I already own, and only have the TV and NUC setup here with no cableTV, so an IR remote like the harmony isn't of much need.

What I'm trying to accomplish is turn on/wake the NUC via USB/RF remote (as pictured).

2qv5yj5.jpg

Has anyone been able to turn on/wake the NUC via a remote/keyboard/mouse as a USB device?

• Well I still use a Bluetooth PS3 media remote.. I hate IR.. But I can't turn my NUC on without walking up to it and turning it on.. (so now I rarely turn it off)

I have also stockpiled about 4 of them from ebay so I never run out..

• Setup:

Samsung TV Q70R

Intel NUC8 i3

After several tries I managed to control the NUC using Samsung Remote - in the Samsung TV wizard - you have to choose Console/Game Box and then XBOX.

After the 3rd try the Samsung TV Remote has match the IR codes and everything work fine in Kodi.

That's all!

• If you have an Intel NUC 8 or 10, Make sure to configure the IR sensor in the BIOS to RC6 or XBOX. I have had better luck with RC6 as far as sensitivity and range of commands. I have used Windows Media Center remotes, Xbox remotes, and my harmony remote configured as a Windows Media Center remote.

Good luck!!

• If you have an Intel NUC 8 or 10, Make sure to configure the IR sensor in the BIOS to RC6 or XBOX. I have had better luck with RC6 as far as sensitivity and range of commands. I have used Windows Media Center remotes, Xbox remotes, and my harmony remote configured as a Windows Media Center remote.

Good luck!!

I do have Intel NUC8 and indeed Intel is mentioning 100% compatibility with XBOX remote but didn't find yet in the BIOS this option. I will look again.