Posts by jbinkley60

The DXxxRenderers config probably has no effect as DX display drivers are a Windows thing. Enabling GL should be be the only config item to have impact, though I'm wondering if that truly means GL (only)? as GBM images are using GLES not GL (as shown by logs that heitbaum shared).

Yeah, you are correct. Only mks.enableGLRenderer = "TRUE" is needed. Interesting that it doesn't work with my ATI card only the nVidia card. At least I found a solution.

Jeff

To update further, the trick of adding these 3 lines:

mks.enableDX12Renderer = "FALSE"
    mks.enableDX11Renderer = "FALSE"
    mks.enableGLRenderer = "TRUE"

only works with my nVidia 710 cards and not my ATI Radeon 5450 video cards. I had to put the nVidia card back in my 17.5 system and both OVAs started working. With the ATI card I get an error about a bad value with the mks.enableGLRenderer = "TRUE" statement. The good news is that I have more of the nVidia cards laying around and they are still available for purchase.

I did some further reading and VM Workstation 17.5 wants video cards which support DIVX 11.1 and mine are older and limited to 11.0. I suspect that may be why others are working, depending upon the video cards and how new they might be.

Jeff

I found an answer here. I had to add these 3 lines to the virtual machine VMX configuration file.

mks.enableDX12Renderer = "FALSE"
    mks.enableDX11Renderer = "FALSE"
    mks.enableGLRenderer = "TRUE"

With them both the 9.2.6 and 11.0.6 OVA run properly under VM Workstation 17.5. There are a number of reports on the Internet about the graphics changes which VM Ware introduced with 17.5.

Jeff

So the issue is definitely related to workstation 17.5. I loaded VM Workstation 15.5 on my Sandbox machine with the Nvidia GeForce 710 card. Both the 9.2.6 and 11.0.6 OVA loaded right up and came up with no issues. I then upgraded to VM Workstation 17.5 and both working VMs stopped working. I tried uninstalling 17.5 and installing it from scratch and still it doesn't work. I also tried pulling down the most recent version of 17, version 17.5.1 and that didn't work.

Lastly, I loaded Workstation 16.2.5 and that works. So there is something with Workstation 17 which is causing the issue.

Thanks,

Jeff

So the mystery deepens. I replaced the nVidia card with an ATI Radeon 5450 card, the same that is in the 1`5.5 machine The problem persists with Workstation 17.5. So right now it appears to be something with Workstation 17.5 or something else with this particular machine.

To isolate this once and for all, I have a third Sandbox test machine which has the same nVidia GeForce 710 card in it and the same hardware. I will install 15.5 on it, see if both the 9.2.6 and 11.0.6 OVAs work. If so, then I will do the in place Workstation upgrade to 17.5 and see what happens.

I'll keep folks posted.

Jeff

Use snapshots or clone the disk for experiments. Are you mapping the GPU in the VM or using the vmare GPU?

Yeah, moving VMs across hosts and making copies is easy. I have VM workstation set for auto, which uses the VMware GPU. I cannot find a way to change the video card / GPU setting in VM Workstation. I did however take 2 debug logs in Kodi.

The first is the Kodi 11.0.6 VM running on the 15.5 system with the ATI Radeon card.
    The second is the Kodi 11.0.6 VM running on the 17.5 system with the nVidia 710 card.

It's the same VM just copied between systems to do the testing.

Thanks,

Jeff

The "Generic" image switched from Xorg to GBM graphics but IIRC the vmware GPU in the OVA should support that. However if the host GPU has been mapped through to the VM this will 100% fail on nVidia cards as there is no support for them without Xorg.

NB: I've been told the virtual hardware version of the OVA needs bumping for Workstation 17.5 (and likely other recent versions) but that something which can be tweaked locally.

I've tried every setting I can think of in the host OS and VM workstation Guest VM and can't get the Kodi OVA to work with Workstation 17.5. They work fine with 15.5. Worst case I do have a spare ATI Radeon card I can try swapping in the 17.5 system or I can upgrade the working 15.5 system to 17.5 and risk having 2 broken systems for Kodi :)

Jeff

So I have been picking away at this very issue and have some information. I recently upgraded VM Workstation from 15.5.0 to 17.5 and I had a LibreElex 9.2.6 OVA that was running and stopped after the VM Workstation upgrade. It starts and goes to a black screen. I moved the OVA over to another machine still running VM Workstation 15.5 and it started working again. I also tried installing the LibreELec 11.0.6 OVA on the VM Workstation 17.5 machine and it hung after starting. I moved that OVA over to the VM Workstation 15.5 machine and it worked fine.

So the issue is definitely related to Workstation 17.5 but there is also one other difference between the systems, which I believe may be the real issue. The Workstation 17.5 machine has an nVidia GeForce 710 card and the Workstation 15.5 machine has an ATI Radeon 5400 video card.

I need to do some testing with either upgrading the 15.5 to 17.5 with the ATI card, swap out the nVidia card to an ATI card or if you want me to move a working OVA back to Workstation 17.5 and grab some Kodi logs, just tell me what you need. With 2 systems and working OVAs I can easily do testing. I'd like to get this working on Workstation 17.5

Thanks,

Jeff

I feel like a real novice posting this issue but I can't figure out what is wrong. I have a new Raspberry Pi 5 build running off an SD card. I purchased a Geekworm X1001 NVME hat and a Samsung 250GB 970 Evo Plus 2280 SSD. I did not format, partition or do anything to the SSD. My goal was to boot it up, create/format a partition, copy the Kodi database over, set a link to the new database location etc etc. I've done this previously with a USB SSD to test differences in storage access speeds.

My problem is that for the life of me I can't get LibreElec to see the SSD. I've added PCIE_PROBE=2 to the config.txt file. If I look in dmesg or run Parted it isn't being seen. It feels like this is a hardware issue but I've checked the installation twice. I've tried 11.0.6 and the latest nightly.

Is there something else I need to do for LibreElec to see the SSD ? I feel like I am missing something obvious.

Thanks,

Jeff

I did some additional debugging and the issue appears to be related to urllib within LibreElec. I created a simple script and ran it from the Python REP under Python on Windows and Python on LibreElec :

Python 3.7.7 (tags/v3.7.7:d7c567b08f, Mar 10 2020, 10:41:24) [MSC v.1900 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32

import urllib.request, urllib.parse, urllib.error

arg1 = "?contentdirectory=http://192.168.0.34:53168/ContentDirecto…tID=taz1l0z1l13"

args = urllib.parse.parse_qs(arg1)

print(arg1)

?contentdirectory=http://192.168.0.34:53168/ContentDirecto…tID=taz1l0z1l13

print(str(args))

{'?contentdirectory': ['http://192.168.0.34:53168/ContentDirectory/control'], 'mode': ['server'], 'objectID': ['taz1l0z1l13']}

Python 3.8.8 (default, Mar 11 2021, 14:17:31) [GCC 10.2.0] on linux

import urllib.request, urllib.parse, urllib.error

arg1 = "?contentdirectory=http://192.168.0.34:53168/ContentDirecto…tID=taz1l0z1l13"

args = urllib.parse.parse_qs(arg1)

print(arg1)

?contentdirectory=http://192.168.0.34:53168/ContentDirecto…tID=taz1l0z1l13

print(str(args))

{'?contentdirectory': ['http://192.168.0.34:53168/ContentDirecto…tID=taz1l0z1l13']}

On LibreElec arg1 is not parsed to a dictionary. Under Python on Windows it is.

Jeff