Problem mounting drive connected to my router

• hello everyone,

i dont very often come her as i dont very often have any problems with libreelec 8.2.5.

But im altering the way in which i use it all to suit my needs and im having a hard time trying to mount a 2tb western digital my passport which is plugged into my router which is a bt smart hub.

firstly i can connect to the drive from my pc using \\192.168.1.254\MyPassport this works perfect (i believe i have to do it this way as ive read the smart hub uses smb1.0)

My phones file manager also see's the drive connected to the router.

But i cant for the life of me get libreelec to mount it.

ive followed the wiki but still no joy.

i hope someone can help me please.

this code produces the following error which im not quite clear what it means

Code
    systemctl status storage-recordings.mount

storage-mypassport.mount - cifs mount script

Loaded: loaded (/storage/.config/system.d/storage-mypassport.mount; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)

Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2018-12-23 14:24:01 GMT; 46s ago

Where: /storage/mypassport

What: //192.168.1.254/MyPassport/Media-Share

Process: 379 ExecMount=/usr/bin/mount //192.168.1.254/MyPassport/Media-Share /storage/mypassport -t cifs -o rw,vers=1.0 (code=exited,

status=255)

Mar 24 15:12:22 LibreELEC systemd[1]: Mounting cifs mount script...

Dec 23 14:24:01 LibreELEC systemd[1]: storage-mypassport.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited status=255

Dec 23 14:24:01 LibreELEC systemd[1]: Failed to mount cifs mount script.

Dec 23 14:24:01 LibreELEC systemd[1]: storage-mypassport.mount: Unit entered failed state.

As you can see i didnt add a username or password as it doesnt require one when i use the shares.

Thanks in advance

Rob

• As you can see i didnt add a username or password as it doesnt require one when i use the shares.

If you want to use that, you have to change the smb settings at LibreELEC settings. By default we don't support SMB1. So you need to change that. Be aware, that you will do that on your own risk as SMB1 is known vulnerable. So don't blame us if something weird is going on.

SMB2/3 conntections do require a username and a password. Hence it's more secure as anonymous browsing for network shares was a SMB1 feature.

A router is a router and not a NAS. Therefore it should stay what it is. I have a Fritzbox 7490 myself and completely disabled the NAS feature as AVM obviously is not able to provide an update for that problem. Furthermore they recommend to enable SMB1 again which is pretty nonsense.

• hi,

Smb1 is already enabled as I have to enable it otherwise my Windows 10 pc doesn't see libreelec

Do I need to put a username or password in even though it doesn't require one.

Thanks

• Ok well that's just assured me that the Bt smart hub doesn't use Smb1

Reason I know this is because when I connect a usb device to my router Windows does not see it in my network.

I have to either map network drive or goto run and enter \\192.169.1.254\

Then I will be able to access the drive.

So what I want to do is mount that network drive to my libreelec installation.

Wiki says it's possible but I'm struggling. I do believe it's because my share doesnt have a username or password so what I want to know is what do I enter in replace of username and password when following the wiki.

Thanks

• ok so i have been playing round with this for the last couple of hours and here is what i know so far.

My drive connected to my router works exactly the same as libreelec default installation samba share. (ive done a fresh install on spare sd card).

Neither libreelec or the hdd plugged into my hub show up on windows 10 network as default, i have to enter the server ip into run to find them or map a network drive.

on a defualt installation of libreelec i can add media via samba share and all works as it should, all works as it should on windows aswell.

My problem comes when i follow the wiki to mount the network drive to libreelec, it just will not work.

Like i have said in previous post when i map the drive to windows it doesnt ask for any type of username or password so it obviously doesnt need one.

so if thats the case surely someone knows what i should be entering for a username and password in the config in system.d directory to make this work, im pretty sure this is why its not working.

Thanks in advance

• Let's go back and answer the actual problem:

a) If you're mounting from systemd the Kodi SMB client settings are completely irrelevant because you're not using the Kodi SMB client. Similarly the the LE settings addon SMB config (for the onboard SMB server) is irrelevant because that also has nothing to do with SMB client configuration.

b) When you access the router share from your PC "with no password" the router is still asking for a username/password and your computer is still providing your logon username/password. You don't see a prompt because the router will accept any username/password. That doesn't mean you cannot provide one. If you don't, you're not authenticated, and you won't see share content.

So either configure the systemd mount file options to include a/any username/password, or connect the USB drive directly to the HTPC.