Intel true 10bits/HEVC/HDR support... ?

• Hey again smp , the latest build in post #657 seems the most stable so far, thanks again!

I just noticed however, that it does not output HDR content. I have DRM PRIME enabled, and allowed DRM PRIME to use hardware acceleration.

I connected my Xbox One to the same HDMI cable/port and it sends out HDR no problem, so I don't think it is an issue with the TV/port/config on that side.

Are there any other settings I need to enable/disable to get HDR to output?

Cheers!!!

Ken

• No idea, a build from post #778 does output HDR on my box.

Ah yes, I meant post #778. Yeah I'll keep testing, maybe I am missing something.

Cheers!

Ken

No idea, a build from post #778 does output HDR on my box.

OMG... OK so, in the BIOS on my NUK, I disabled the Thunderbolt and Consumer IR under "onboard devices". When I re-enabled them, I get HDR again.

I guess the Thunderbolt connection has something to do with HDR output to the HDMI connection...

Lol, user error. All good thx!

Edited once, last by kenmills: Merged a post created by kenmills into this post. (August 5, 2021 at 10:02 PM).

• Hi,

sorry for stepping into this thread without ever testing the images provided here.

But I am planning to step into UHD content and I am willing to test related patches.

My current TV is limited to HD (1080p) and I would like to ask whether Kodi is able,

maybe with some patches added, to display UHD (2160p) content on a new UHD-

capable TV set yet to be bought.

My setup is:

- Intel Rocketlake i9-11900tT

- ASRock Z590 Extreme with HDMI 2.0b output

- kernel 5.13.x

- mesa3d 21.2.1

- media-driver 21.3.2

Do I need to use a fiber-based HDMI 2.0 cable to cover the 12m distance between

the PC and the TV? Currently I am using a HDMI 1.3 copper-based cable.

Will fiber-based cables still route CEC signals?

Is the limitation "4K60 4:2:0 8-bit" of the USB CEC adapter a problem in real life?

• The bigger issue for you won't be UHD - it will be Wide Colour Gamut HDR.

Most UHD - but by no means all UHD - is also Wide Colour Gamut (aka Rec 2020) and HDR (usually HDR10). The UHD downscale to HD isn't usually a problem, so UHD Rec 709 (i.e. 'normal' colour) SDR video will be no problem at all. However for HDR stuff (which is Rec 2020) the player will have to also 'tone map' which is converting the HDR and Wide Colour Gamut video into the narrower colour range and narrower dynamic range of regular HD SDR content. That's the trickier task. (*)

If you plan on going UHD at some point then the 8-bit limitation will be an issue - as HDR really needs 10-bit - though that limitation may not be an issue at 4K30 and below.

(*) There are now some HDR Wide Colour Gamut 1080p TVs on the market - if you have one those you may be in a better situation with HDR content.

• This thread is confusing me.

What is the absolute minimum on Libreelec needed to output 10bit/HDR on Intel chipsets? Kaby Lake? 4k/24Hz max is fine.

What Intel gen graphics HD600?

I ask because I have quite a few old mini-PCs/integrated motherboards lying around.

• Kaby Lake/Apollo Lake will work only if the board has HDMI 2.0 (via DP->HDMI LSPCON chip). Native HDMI 1.4 port will not output HDR.

Anything with HDMI 2.0 onboard should work.

• Kaby Lake/Apollo Lake will work only if the board has HDMI 2.0 (via DP->HDMI LSPCON chip). Native HDMI 1.4 port will not output HDR.

Anything with HDMI 2.0 onboard should work.

Thanks- that clears things up. I need to do a little research now.

• Dear All,

I have installed LE10.0.0 and I can't read the HDR files properly.

Here is my Setup

Asus Prime H310i Motherboard

Intel I3-8100 Coffe Lake.

I read the recent post and I have 2 questions for you :

Can Le 10.0.0 official read HDR on Intel platform?

Can Intel I3-8100 can read HRD ?

My motherboard is equiped with an HDMI 1.4b. I read that this version of HDMI can't read HDR. If I buy a HDMI 2.0 Motherboard with my Intel I3-8100, Can I read HDR with Official LE10.0.0

Thanks for your Help.

• The current official LE 10.0 build does not support HDR on Intel yet.

You can use the Devel version that is posted on this thread (that uses patches to enable HDR) but you will definitely need a board that supports HDMI 2.0 at least.

I hope that helps.

• The current official LE 10.0 build does not support HDR on Intel yet.

You can use the Devel version that is posted on this thread (that uses patches to enable HDR) but you will definitely need a board that supports HDMI 2.0 at least.

I hope that helps.

Thanks kenmills foru your help.

So I will wait for LE 11 and buy in the future a new motherboard with HDMI2.0

• Do you think this will break audio for Apollo Lake again or has there been fixes for that since last build?