Intel true 10bits/HEVC/HDR support... ?

• 1. LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-10.0-devel-20210422040736-13c3cc6.img.gz

2. LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-10.0-devel-20210422041617-13c3cc6.img.gz

- Updated with the changes from current Kodi and LE master branches.

- Linux kernel 5.12-rc8

- Fixed Retroplayer glitches (CONFIG_DMABUF_HEAPS)

Image #1: lrusak/drmprime-2img-no-ffmpeg-bump branch (HDR known to work on Tiger Lake, Gemini Lake and some other Intel hardware)

Image #2: lrusak/drmprime-vaapi-hdr branch (HDR probably works only on Gemini Lake)

• For Gemini Lake is there one build you would recommend over the other?

• Thank you smp . Fantastic work!

I’ll test on my new NUC8i3BEH I built earlier today.

EDIT: Image 1 looking good. HDR, HBR audio, multichannel hires FLAC all ok.

Subtitles are a red block, unreadable.

Thanks again SMP!

Edited once, last by HomerJau (April 22, 2021 at 11:24 AM).

• I'm not 100% sure about this. Someone tried my build with Kodi compiled from that branch some time ago and it didn't work for them, so I assume it works only on Gemini Lake.

I can confirm no HDR on your image 2 above on my NUC8i3BEH. I’ve gone back to image 1 that’s ok except for subtitles.

Does ffmpeg render subs?

The red subtitle block is just the video stretched to fit in the subtitle frame but shaded red.

• The red subtitle block is just the video stretched to fit in the subtitle frame but shaded red.

There's something more going on since ASS subtitles are also broken (white block instead of text). I suspect it has something to do with the layering stuff or shader color conversion, but have no experience in graphics and gl programming, so I'm definitely to stupid to figure this out. Interestingly this bug also affects subtitle rendering when not using the GBM frontend and running kodi in wayland (but maybe that's not surprising to kodi devs).

• smp is image 1 using the direct to plane and image 2 using the EGL rendering?

Just an FYI, the direct to plane stuff likely won't ever land in Kodi for intel. This is only useful for Gemini lake (and Ice lake?) as these platforms support YUV planes.

All recent intel platforms (including those using LSPCON) should be able to do HDR using the EGL rendering method (I believe the HDR patches landed in the kernel for LSPCON already but I haven't tested myself).

I hope to pick this work up again soon after doing some larger maintenance work with Kodi.

• is image 1 using the direct to plane and image 2 using the EGL rendering?

Both using direct to plane. When EGL is selected HDR does not work.

This is only useful for Gemini lake (and Ice lake?)

I don't believe so. Direct to plane even works on an old Apollo Lake SoCs, not to mention the new Tiger Lake (already confirmed working), Rocket Lake, Elkhart/Jasper Lake.

• When EGL is selected HDR does not work.

I mean it does not work on image #2. On image #1 HDR works with both direct to plane and EGL.

Someone in this thread tested on Apollo Lake with direct to plane + LSPCON kernel patches and HDR worked.

• Both using direct to plane. When EGL is selected HDR does not work.

I don't believe so. Direct to plane even works on an old Apollo Lake SoCs, not to mention the new Tiger Lake (already confirmed working), Rocket Lake, Elkhart/Jasper Lake.

I don't think that's really possible. Using direct-to-plane requires YUV planes which aren't provided when using LSPCON. So unless intel has updated there driver to expose this it won't work.

If you think it does work please post the output of the "modetest" utility.

I'm not sure which branch your are using of mine at this point but as I said the direct-to-plane method won't be merged for intel. So really this branch is the only way forward (but likely has a lot of bugs and quirks) Commits · lrusak/xbmc · GitHub

• Both using direct to plane. When EGL is selected HDR does not work.

That's incorrect. I'm using the drmprime-2img-no-ffmpeg-bump branch diff applied onto current kodi master and gbm+egl produces HDR perfectly (aside from the weird subtitle problems) on my NUC (coffee lake)