I'm really confused

• Hi all,

Let's just say from the onset I'm really confused about this and I'm very new to Kodi/LE so please be kind with the comments.

I needed to replace my dying PVR so thought I would build myself an HTPC and Kodi looked like a good option. Did some research on a few forums and asked about which hardware I should use. Got the following reply from one:

Tanix TX92 / Vorke Z6 because they have a Gigabit ethernet port plus they will handle anything you throw at them when running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

Plus I've seen S9xx devices recommended on this forum too, so it seemed like a fair enough option.

So I purchased a TX92, installed LE (LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4.1.force.444.10bit.img.gz) and TvH and all seemed fine. I then started to get intermittent reboots after 5-6 hours of streaming live TV plus the occasional random freeze and the logs always ending with "CVideoPlayerAudio::Process - stream stalled". So I hit google and found this.

If you read the thread it is exactly the same problem that I'm getting and on AML hardware. So I asked a couple of noob questions and it seems it's an AML known issue with comments like:

A shame that AML never fixed their kindergarten bug, in deed. Even more a shame that users buy this crappy buggy hardware with kernels that even don't receive Bugfixes anymore and use an Android GPU driver as vendor did not want to support Linux at all.

So, if this is an AML issue why would AML products be recommended at all and why don't I see heaps of posts with the same problem?

Is this issue fixable and if so how?

Have I got it all wrong, and if so please tell me?

Sorry about the long post, and TIA,

Greg

• So, if this is an AML issue why would AML products be recommended at all and why don't I see heaps of posts with the same problem?

People buy them in the first place because they are 'newer' and mostly because they are cheap.

AMlogic support itself has been over the years "like a box of chocolates..."

Also, a remark from the START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Nov. 2018):

Important Notes:

AMLogic S912 devices are mentioned a few times in this post, but be aware these devices will not work with LibreELEC or CoreELEC Kodi when Kodi v19 M comes around in over 1 years time. Android Kodi should, however continue to work.

Kodi v19 M will change it's Linux graphics rendering codebase and the current S912 Hybrid Linux/LE/CE GPU drivers will not be compatible.

There are open source GPU drivers currently under development, so anything could happen in over a years time.

• The main issue with current Amlogic hardware is low-quality kernel source full of bugs and proprietary code and the amcodec interface which has lots of hacks to workaround the bad kernel source. We've cleaned up some major issues over time but there are lots of minor ones that aren't resolved - and won't be resolved (on that codebase). The long-term solution for Amlogic hardware is to move up to mainline kernels. This won't be a magic cure-all (new code = new bugs) but since the underlying codebase will be common to all our platforms (Generic, Raspberry Pi, Amlogic, Allwinner and Rockchip) the process of fixing stuff will no longer depend on someone working up the enthusiasm to poke sticks at a bad kernel source where fixing one thing frequently results in fresh breakage somewhere else. We are months (not years) from making the mainline jump.

NB: I wouldn't read too much into the S912 future story as the situation has changed. Open-source alternatives to the missing libmali are taking shape, we are well engaged with the developers and Kodi support is a mutual goal. I'd estimate we're about six months from a usable solution.

• You could always try Coreelec. If you install to a different usb stick, it won't affect what you already have.

• The main issue with current Amlogic hardware is low-quality kernel source full of bugs and proprietary code and the amcodec interface which has lots of hacks to workaround the bad kernel source. We've cleaned up some major issues over time but there are lots of minor ones that aren't resolved - and won't be resolved (on that codebase). The long-term solution for Amlogic hardware is to move up to mainline kernels. This won't be a magic cure-all (new code = new bugs) but since the underlying codebase will be common to all our platforms (Generic, Raspberry Pi, Amlogic, Allwinner and Rockchip) the process of fixing stuff will no longer depend on someone working up the enthusiasm to poke sticks at a bad kernel source where fixing one thing frequently results in fresh breakage somewhere else. We are months (not years) from making the mainline jump.

NB: I wouldn't read too much into the S912 future story as the situation has changed. Open-source alternatives to the missing libmali are taking shape, we are well engaged with the developers and Kodi support is a mutual goal. I'd estimate we're about six months from a usable solution.

Thanks for the detailed reply, it's greatly appreciated. I have two questions:

1. Would you recommend I stay with the AML platform (S912) and wait or swap to another platform like Allwinner or Rockchip?

2. As the main usage of these boxes is to stream video, and the issue I have described is related to streaming, why are AML products being recommended when this bug clearly interferes with the boxes main purpose? Sorry, but I just don't get it ?(

TIA

Greg

• 2. As the main usage of these boxes is to stream video, and the issue I have described is related to streaming, why are AML products being recommended when this bug clearly interferes with the boxes main purpose? Sorry, but I just don't get it ?(

My AML products are working fine 24/7

But, I only stream video/audio from NAS via ethernet cable - I do this every day - UHD/HDR everything works fine

Don´t use tons of addons and I never will use TVH.

If I want to watch TV I use my 50€ dreambox SAT-receiver

Most(not all) of this cheap AML boxes need better cooling to run 24/7.

You reported several reboots after a few hours - I believe Your device needs better cooling

Many users expect to much. An AML box is not a HTPC and it´s not a high-end multimedia hardware

• 1. Would you recommend I stay with the AML platform (S912) and wait or swap to another platform like Allwinner or Rockchip?

2. As the main usage of these boxes is to stream video, and the issue I have described is related to streaming, why are AML products being recommended when this bug clearly interferes with the boxes main purpose? Sorry, but I just don't get it ?(

Allwinner support is in the earliest of early stages of support. It will be some time before it matures. Rockchip is further up the curve but still subject to major rework before we publish a full release. Rockchip is both better and not as proven as the Amlogic 3.14 mess (which has been used long and is a bit more refined). If you already have the S912 box; it's a good box, be patient.

As a general rule Amlogic behaves well with most media. There's always going to be some exceptions though. If anyone else wants to investigate I won't stop them - it won't be me though.