Windows 10 dual boot with UEFI

• I bet Steam OS has the capability to re-install the boot loader (BIOS MBR in your case). Then you don't need an unwanted extra Linux.

The point is that sometimes (like after major Win 10 updates) you have to re-install the boot loader. Do a research whether Steam OS has such capability, just to be sure. The boot loader will find all installed OS'es, including LE.

I'm not sure whether Win 10 likes the shrinking. If you have to re-install all OS's, do Win 10 first, then Steam OS (if it can re-install the boot loader), then LE.

• Hi I've got a dual boot Windows 10/Libreelec set up since November. See thread: Dual boot LibreELEC w/ Win10.

Mine is done on legacy MBR boot. It is a standard Windows 10 setup with an option to boot to Libreelec so I can update Windows 10 without affecting the bootloader. My Libreelec was originally installed on a SD card. I created 2 empty EXT4 partitions on an empty SSD as placeholders for the Libreelec. Then I installed Windows 10 as usual on the remaining empty disk. Then I copied the Libreelec over to the empty EXT4 partitions. Then I used EasyBCD to create the dual boot.

Edited once, last by tkwou (January 30, 2020 at 7:51 AM).

• Hi,

I need a little help.

I followed the instructions. But my Beelink X55 has Win10Pro preinstalled. so I booted Ubuntu and created with gparted sda5 (for GRUB) sda6 (LibreElec Boot) and sda7(LibreElec Storage). my sda1 is the Win bootloader, this seems to be the difference to this manual, so I changed the grub.cfg to set root='hd0,gpt1' in the Windows-menuentry

long story short: I only get into the GRUB rescue screen. So I think there's sthg wrong with my grub installation.

In this rescue screen I can successfully boot in my LibreElec by typing

Code
    set root='hd0,gpt6'
    linux /KERNEL boot=/dev/sda6 disk=/dev/sda7 quiet
    boot

I'm a bit confused about the UEFI. When I set my BIOS to secure boot I got a red

Code
    Secure Boot Violation. Invalid signature detected. Check secure boot policy in SETUP

When I turn secure boot to disabled, then I come in the grub rescue screen.

As I understand the manual I have to start Ubuntu in UEFI mode, i installed grub-efi, so I think it must work in UEFI, UEFI ist secure Boot, isn't it?

So what's my problem.

What did you need from me to help me boot into the grub menu with LibreElec as default start?

see the attached screenshots