Early community images for H3, H6 and A64

• jernej

The boot sequence do not go enough far to ssh the Pine H64 so I am unable to login to do a dmesg. I attach a photo of my screen, maybe that will help. If I plug a USB/TTL dongle do you think I can be able to provide you more interesting information ?

I do not provide the decoded EDID, how I can provide that ?

• Hi all,

I've tested the "LibreELEC-A64.arm-9.1-devel-20190324123655-b764cb6-pine64.img.gz" and "LibreELEC-A64.arm-9.1-nightly-20190501-6f2af43-pine64.img.gz" image with a Pine64+ 2GB board, but so far it's not possible to get any sound over HDMI.

The audio device is set to "ALSA:allwinner-hdmi, SAM SAMSUNG on HDMI" and passthrough is disabled. The HDMI cable is fine, as it works with another device. I've changed several other audio settings but without success.

Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem?

• Hi all,

I've tested the "LibreELEC-A64.arm-9.1-devel-20190324123655-b764cb6-pine64.img.gz" and "LibreELEC-A64.arm-9.1-nightly-20190501-6f2af43-pine64.img.gz" image with a Pine64+ 2GB board, but so far it's not possible to get any sound over HDMI.

The audio device is set to "ALSA:allwinner-hdmi, SAM SAMSUNG on HDMI" and passthrough is disabled. The HDMI cable is fine, as it works with another device. I've changed several other audio settings but without success.

Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem?

Hello. Same on my side with Orange Pi PC Plus.

Only GUI sounds and from Youtube addon.

No sound from files with multi channel sound - different options tested, different audio sources.

• Polczak

I would already be happy if I had GUI sounds and also from the Youtube addon :) , but I have no sound at all over HDMI :(.

The only sound source that is working so far is the analog "sun50i-a64-audio" device via jack cable .

So currently I've no idea where to start debugging, because I don't no if it is a problem with the Pulseaudio/ALSA audio subsystem or with the Linux kernel itself.

At least there are two recognized audio devices as I can see from the dmesg output:

Code
    [    2.015242] ALSA device list:
    [    2.015247]   #0: sun50i-a64-audio
    [    2.015251]   #1: allwinner-hdmi
  • Hi - Rgd BPI-M2+ images, are HiFiberry Digi+ and JustBoom Digi HAT "for the Raspberry Pi" supported on this board?

I am asking as it looks like it is physically compatible, but I realise it also depends on the software, at this stage I can't see any mention of it being in the kernel for instance, but perhaps "jernej" has a view on this?

Please also refer to: http://wiki.banana-pi.org/banana_pi_bpi-m2%2b#gpio_pin_define : "Banana Pi BPI-M2+ (BPI-M2 Plus) has a 40-pin GPIO header that matches that of the Model Raspberry Pi 3. "

• dolphs

Buying such an extension board would not make sense, because for the price you can also get a Raspberry Pi 3 which will work out of the box with LibreELEC + Kodi.

I'm not quite sure about the general support for HDMI Audio with certain Allwinner SoCs in the Linux mainline kernel, but according to this website Linux mainlining effort - linux-sunxi.org there would be no support at the moment.

In contrast I found on this website #linux-sunxi — irc logs at whitequark.org that there is a chance to have basic HDMI support (probably only 2 channels) which would be fine for now. Polczak also mentioned in his post before that he has basic HDMI audio on his Orange Pi PC Plus board which is equipped with an H3 SoC (ARM Cortex-A7)

So maybe a developer can give us an update on the current status.

• Official Post

dolphs it certainly doesn't work out-of-the-box. If pins are compatible (didn't check) you would need to modify DTB file to tell that spdif should be enabled. That would be ideally solved with DT overlays, but currently there is no support for that in AW images.

mike2002 There is certainly a difference in output. Interestingly, AVR adds some strange video modes like 1440x480@60Hz and 2880x480@60Hz. Can you edit "extlinux/extlinux.conf" on SD card and add drm.debug=0xe at the end of APPEND line? Please provide full dmesg output and output of cat /sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary with AVR connected.

andre_276 while it's true that mainline kernel doesn't support HDMI audio on any of Allwinner SoC, images here contains support for up to 8 channels linear PCM HDMI audio. This is obviously work in progress, but eventually this work will be included in mainline kernel. You can dig out patches from LE build system if you are interested.

In contrast I found on this website #linux-sunxi — irc logs at whitequark.org that there is a chance to have basic HDMI support (probably only 2 channels) which would be fine for now. Polczak also mentioned in his post before that he has basic HDMI audio on his Orange Pi PC Plus board which is equipped with an H3 SoC (ARM Cortex-A7)

So maybe a developer can give us an update on the current status.

Just an addition to that - I do not have same issue on an old Libreelec 7.0 image.

• andre_276 while it's true that mainline kernel doesn't support HDMI audio on any of Allwinner SoC, images here contains support for up to 8 channels linear PCM HDMI audio. This is obviously work in progress, but eventually this work will be included in mainline kernel. You can dig out patches from LE build system if you are interested.

jernej

Got it.

So in theory this would mean, that this image libreelec-a64.arm-9.1-nightly-20190506-b0a838b-pine64.img.gz should have HDMI audio support for the Pine64+ board, right?

Anyone else here in the forum who ever tested a Pine64 board successfully and can share his audio configuration?

Unfortunately I have no other board with an Allwinner SoC at hand that I can test with.

• Question to Libreelec developers: does RaspberryPI 3b+ have any issue with Libreelec? Or everything works fine?

I am thinking to switch to RP3b+ but I am affraid that I will end up with same or different issues.

• Official Post

Polczak RPi is much more mature platform at the moment, so if you want features and less bugs, go for it. But in many ways Allwinner H6 (and some others) has better features, just software is not there yet.

skyeagle  lumpi Given that Beelink X2 has Broadcom based WiFi module, it should be easy to support it. Recently I received this box, but first I have to make booting more reliable (it rarely boots). Once that's fixed, it should be relatively easy to add WiFi support.

• Given that Beelink X2 has Broadcom based WiFi module, it should be easy to support it. Recently I received this box, but first I have to make booting more reliable (it rarely boots). Once that's fixed, it should be relatively easyto add WiFi support.

be aware, only older X2s have AP6181newer versions have RTL8189ETV, so I'm not having too many illusions.

What boot problems do you have? I never faced any, having some sandisk uSD I guess, and it boots 100% of the time very reliably with your image. Let me know if you want to compare something (logs?) with my unit.