Early community images for H3, H6 and A64

• These builds will continue using the GPU the proprietary drivers or the lima drivers? I'm asking, because the other day I tried it on an amlogic s905x and the truth is that it's already quite good.

• These builds will continue using the GPU the proprietary drivers or the lima drivers?

For now with proprietary driver, but later on, when lima will be well tested and all quirks worked out, it will be switched. I'm conservative here.

• 4. H3 nightly updates won't be compatible with builds linked here due to missing kernel feature (but A64 and H6 updates are fine)

what does incompatible mean in this context? Do we have to reinstall from scratch?

What kernel feature is missing?

• what does incompatible mean in this context? Do we have to reinstall from scratch?

What kernel feature is missing?

Updating won't work because kernel won't be able to mount squashfs image due to unsupported compression method (zstd). Nightly images will have this method supported in kernel.

I suppose you could update it by hand, but that's not recommended nor supported.

• Thanks for your impressive work!

Orange Pi PC2 (H5, 1GB RAM) has one of the best price/performance ratios. And no built-in wifi, so that's not an issue.

Patiently waiting for working LE support which would be awesome!

• Updating won't work because kernel won't be able to mount squashfs image due to unsupported compression method (zstd). Nightly images will have this method supported in kernel.

I suppose you could update it by hand, but that's not recommended nor supported.

Thanks for your detailed response.

That means in case I would absolutely want to update, via the tar way, I would need a tar with new Kernel and old userland to enable loading the actual update...

• Thats great news! Ive been running as a daily driver for a week now but I had a few random crashes. I dont see exact reasons why. Also some streams seem to have an audio problem because it only produces static. For now, I am gonna flash a fresh install and try again for tonites watching :)

Edit: If it seems like a good daily driver I will make a 3D print case for it + 3.5 HDD bay for you guys!

Edited once, last by boatfreak ().

• Patiently waiting for working LE support which would be awesome!

I have basic H5 port, but it's not very stable. You can build it yourself, though:

GitHub - jernejsk/LibreELEC.tv at h5

You can build image by:

PROJECT=Allwinner ARCH=arm DEVICE=H5 UBOOT_SYSTEM=orangepi_pc2 make image

Reportedly it works good at 1080p, but my 4K test sucked. BTW, HDMI CEC also doesn't work.

lumpi I was intentionally vague. Just go with chewitt proposal.

• Build it by opi prime (please, add it in uboot_helper).

FullHD played good, direct sound output do not work.

But in general, this is good news, maybe this board will cease to be a brick with me.

• bsnox

what do you mean with direct sound output? HDMI audio passthrough or something else? Anyway, did you try to select different sound output?

• jernej , the last H5 workaround release (v3) should be better with kodi; It can handle any rendering surface size. It requires some testing anyway.

• I compiled the image for orange pi one, because jernej dropped support, so if anyone wants to try it out here is the link.

MEGA

• noblock do you mean Allwinner H5: lima 1e80000.gpu: pp error (#73) · Issues · Lima / mesa · GitLab ?

Lima is not yet used for any SoC, but I'll prepare a variant with lima for H3 and A64 soon (H5 is currently not supported and thus not a priority).

This one: sunxi-mali/0092-mali-experimental-h5-workaround-v3.patch at master · noblock/sunxi-mali · GitHub

This is the same code, but it will fix on the fly the values generated by the blob.

• bsnox

what do you mean with direct sound output? HDMI audio passthrough or something else? Anyway, did you try to select different sound output?

Yea, its HDMI audio passthrough, and I tried all the available outputs.

If passthrough mode is on, a distorted noise plays in the speakers.

• Yea, its HDMI audio passthrough, and I tried all the available outputs.

If passthrough mode is on, a distorted noise plays in the speakers.

As it is noted in OP, passthrough is not yet supported.