does it matter what brand of android box?

• Hi, I have som oprton of buying some android boxes here in my town, all three of them have these speecs: Amlogic S905W, 1gb ram... different brands like mecool(the most expensive one with android 7.1) and one brand was T95m(androiid 6 I think this one was running), and some even cheeper one....

If I am going to boot from a microsd card and run latest stable Libreelec on them, does the brand even matter? And does the version of android matter, if it is 6, 7 or 8?

• This might help Box Guide.

I have a Mecool M8S Pro + (Based on the information in the thread) and I'm impressed with it. About the same price of a RPI3 B+ but with more RAM, and X265 decoding.

The Android version shouldn't matter, but the later the version, the newer the hardware.

• I think I will buy the; Mecool M8S PLUS W S905W 1GB RAM 8GB ROM Android 7.1 TV Box

But I see there is no microsd card slot, is it ok to boot LE from an USB stick on this one?

using the "reboot to libreelec" app......

• No idea - it might, it might not. It will be an experiment as not all USB sticks are bootable (as I have found out the hard way). The box also doesn't have Ethernet, so you'll have to rely totally on Wifi - so if you intend to stream, look for another box.

It's your choice. Either wait for someone with a Mecool M8S PLUS W to answer, or pick a box that is known to work.

• I think I will pass Android boxes, as I read that they are limitied to 16bits 48khz audio LPCM 5.1/7.1, So no good to me, if the source is 24 bits I want 24 bits PCM also, not 16 bits...

I have on older receiver that only takes PCM audio 5.1 via HDMi, so I cant let Kodi bitstream audio, therefore I need Kodi to output PCM 5.1.

Ok, no big deal, I will build a cheep PC instead.

• If I am going to boot from a microsd card and run latest stable Libreelec on them, does the brand even matter? And does the version of android matter, if it is 6, 7 or 8?

The Antutu score in the Android TV Box chart from Chigz tech reviews gives a good indication of the speed of RAM and eMMC Flash storage of various AML S9xx boxes that can be used for LE:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ebg4trtmgaf-zxukg1ycotxoerwrocyd-du2shjuc6o/edit#gid=0

Usually the more up to date Android 7.x Firmware - the better the Bootloader which is also used by LibreELEC.

• There are now OSMC AMLogic Kernel mods now going into my LE 8.2.x releases that output 24bit multichannel LPCM audio.

So how do we find this LE realease? and is it something that will be ready soon...

I can only find kszaq LE builds from the download section...

Thanks...

• tested the : LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit.img.gz on my S905X Android box quick now, cant see the bitrate info on my Yamaha receiver but what I saw was it played 96khz 5.1 files, so Im sure the samplerate also is 24 bit.... great...

Cpu load was around 20-40% for a 1080p 24hz to 60 hz videos.....

wrxtasy, is this version the final one regarding PCM 24Bit sound, or only a test version?

I will try it later more when I have time... seems very promising :)

• wrxtasy:

What is the difference between:

LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit.img.gz

downloaded 2018-08-20, size: 125 833 107 byte

LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit.img.gz

downloaded 2018-09-01, size: 125 842 349 byte

Same namne, different sizes.....

been running the first version, seems to run well, but would be nice to know what the newer one adds......