LibreELEC-RR 9.x [ Emulationstation | Retroarch | Pegasus | DolphinQT | Moonlight | Chrome | Spotify ]

• Dreamcast works for me I had to create a new folder in storage/roms/bios and name it dc and copy the dreamcast bios files here.

• Hi 5schatten,

I love your work, the RR version is the best version for me so far !

But.... i have quite some problems with screen tearing in the chrome browser.

I did try several gpu hardware: amd rv630, rv720, hd3000 they all tear.

Only a amd rv880 works perfect.

I read things about modifying a conf file, but libreelec does not allow that by default.

Could you, by any change, add those options

Code
    Section "Device"   
     Identifier "Radeon"   
     Driver "radeon"   
     Option "TearFree" "on"   
     Option "DRI" "3"   
     Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
    EndSection

to your RR_CONFIGURATION settings like you did with the audio settings for chrome? That would make the tweaking a lot more easy.

Thanks !

• If that works for you just check out the FAQ how to create a custom xorg.conf file, then fill in your changes & reboot your system. If these settings fix tearing then report back. I already talked to the LE dev guys why tear free was disabled in the past and it was probably a workaround for oldschool hardware.

If your fix works for AMD stuff then I'll add it to my FAQ since I have to add the Intel fix anyway.

• Hi 5schatten,

Just want to start off by saying thank you for this build...

I put RetroPi on an old RPi3 about a year a go and loved it, played most nes/snes and n64 games on it and loved it, I also ran Librelec Krypton separately and decided recently to upgrade everything to Leia and run retro gaming from there. I have a a couple of RPi3 and an Intel NUC NUC5PPYH (Pentium N3700) and started off with the stock LibreElec and Gamestarter but all the devices did not run anything well at all, lots of stuttering... then came across your LibreElec RR and it's awesome on the RPi3, no issues with running Mario Bros on nes and Mario kart runs ok on the N64.

Where I'm having issues is the Intel NUC, Super Mario Bros does not run well with any of the emulators, it stutters quite a bit, the n64 isn't too bad but does has some sound issues. these run better on the Pi than the NUC. I do realise they are different architectures but I thought the NUC would at least run Mario Bros on the nes ok.

I have followed steps in the FAQ, tried KMS, didn't think xorg applied, have also tried to search the forum for solutions but can't really find anything, probably because I'm not searching for the right thing... anyway, I've attached logs for mario bros on nes and mario kart on n64.

Would appreciate any help or advice.

• Your N3700 should indeed blow my J3455-ITX out of the water so I don't think it's related to a lack of cpu power. This is an example logfile http://ix.io/1mhq of my Skylake based system which is running Mario Kart 64 PAL. As you see my refresh rate is set to 60Hz but the game runs at 50Hz which is basically fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong but to me it looks like you're running either US/Japan versions of your games? So you need a refresh rate of ~60Hz to satisfy NTSC inner game logic.

Can you delete your retroarch.cfg file, enable KMS in the RR settings addon & run Retroarch + Mario Kart 64 again & post the log? I suspect you've set your refresh rate to some value that doesn't work well and once NTSC games do not run at 60Hz they stutter or have chopped sound.

• Will do, I'll make the changes shortly....

Any ideas on the nes performance as that's the one that's worse?

The game speed / performance is directly tied to the refresh rate. So if for whatever reason the rate is too low you will have low game performance too. Generic builds should feature mesen nestopia & fceumm and all should run fine on a system with your speed so give it a try first.

• Thanks, i have tried all the nes emulators via retro arch, some work worse than others, what I'll do is, make the change you suggested, rerun each of the emulators and post the logs...

• . If these settings fix tearing then report back. I already talked to the LE dev guys why tear free was disabled in the past and it was probably a workaround for oldschool hardware.

If your fix works for AMD stuff then I'll add it to my FAQ since I have to add the Intel fix anyway.

Hi 5schatten,

I have several laptops with different AMD/ATI hardware. I will test them all with different settings in the xorg.conf, and report back to you.

Thanks for your support in this. I'll test it on the build-in chrome and the addon chrome browser.

• 5schatten when will you update to kodi 18.3 there is an annoying bug fixed in 18.3

On my odroid N2 wich is running CE 18.3 the aspect ratio media flags are not removed anymore after playing a library video file.

Thanks!

• Hi 5schatten,

I did test the different hardware today, below are my findings:

Good news : it works on AMD/ATI and Intel gpu's.

What did i use: Libreelec RR-20190614 with linux 5.1.9. kernal and Xorg 3.3 Mesa 19.1.0.

This is a test for the TearFree option in the Radeon driver, when the Chrome browser is used to play a video.

I thas nothing to do with kodi playing video, that was already tearfree for all hardware.

Hardware:

Asus K52J , CPU: intel i3-M350,

GPU: AMD Cedar RV810 (HD5430)

This video : YouTube tears like hell in the chrome browser, the build-in version and the add-on version.

With the Option "TearFree" "on" the tearing has gone !!

Hp compaq 8510p, CPU core2 duo T7500,

GPU: AMD RV630 (HD2600 mobile)

TearFree fixes the problem here too.

Acer 5732z, CPU Pentium dual core T4400

GPU: AMD RV710

Problem fixed with TearFree on.

Dell Latitude E6320, CPU i5-2520M

GPU: Mesa DRI Intel SandyBridge mobile (this is an Intel GPU)

Needs a different Xorg.conf file, the one in post #1702 does the trick !!

Tearing is gone !!

HP DV9700, CPU Core2duo T7250,

GPU: Geforce 8600M Nvidia (this is not a AMD nore INTEL)

OpenGL driver: 3.3.0. Nvidia 340.107

I could not get this driver to switch on hardware acceleration in chrome (type chrome://gpu in the browser search bar to check)

Playing video was lagging, stuttering and tearing.

Make sure to make a full libreelec backup, and save it on a usb stick before you start messing with the Xorg.conf file.

If you make a mistake, Xorg will not start, and kodi UI will not show.

I hope this helps...

• You could test if this xorg.conf solves the Nvidia tearing too https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/nvidia/troubleshooting#avoid_screen_tearing

5schatten when will you update to kodi 18.3 there is an annoying bug fixed in 18.3

On my odroid N2 wich is running CE 18.3 the aspect ratio media flags are not removed anymore after playing a library video file.

Thanks!

The master branch was bumped to 9.80 so I have to wait until addons have been build for the latest LE version too. I thought about rebasing on Le 9.2 too but this branch is missing the Amlogic project files and I'll receive a Khadas Vim3 soon for tests so this is not a valid solution.

• You could test if this xorg.conf solves the Nvidia tearing too https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/nvid…_screen_tearing

Hi 5schatten ,

It worked !

I tested on a laptop :

HP DV9700, CPU Core2duo T7250,

GPU: Geforce 8600M Nvidia

I could not get this driver to switch on hardware acceleration in chrome (type chrome://gpu in the browser search bar to check)

Playing video was lagging, stuttering and tearing.

After inserting the xorg.conf, i was able to activate the hardware acceleration, and video was smooth and no tearing.

Also tested on a desktop, this desktop (core2 Quad E9400) was able to play the videos with software rastering, but a lot of tearing.

The GPU is a GeForce 8400GS

After using the Xorg.conf, hardware acceleration was activated, and tearing was gone !!

This is what i used in the Xorg.conf file for the laptop:

Maybe we should make a new item about this, as many users will have this problem.