LibreELEC-RR 9.x [ Emulationstation | Retroarch | Pegasus | DolphinQT | Moonlight | Chrome | Spotify ]

• Hi

I hadn't tried that but I have just tried it now and also disabling the udev option above it as well and the problem still persists.

Which logs do you require? the standard kodi logs or emulationstation?

cheers

What kind of udev option? Read the start post there is explained how to obtain logs.

• it was the "use module-udev-detect to autodetect PulseAudio device" option

hastebin

thats the kodi log from log uploader and below are the other logs from the var folder

thanks for looking into this.

This is only necessary if autodetect doesn't work or if you use a GPU as video output for example. The tsched option is independent of this.

Well you run your games in 4K on a "Haswell" system. /shrug

My build isn't optimized/tested for this resolution and maybe doesn't set appropriate refresh rates. You've probably have set Kodi to 50Hz or something and so NTSC games won't run at full speed also the log says "Rate 60.00 Hz not available for this size" so I'm not sure if your system or display can use 4K@60Hz

Open a terminal and enter this: xrandr | paste and post the generated link. Also post a full log zip because I have no clue what system you use.

• Well you run your games in 4K on a "Haswell" system. /shrug :D:D:D my bad.

That hadnt even crossed my mind, I only had a new 4K TV delivered yesterday so it has always just been set at 1080/60 not 2160/30

Kodi had autodetected and switched over to 4K, I've just switched it back to 1080 at 60 and everything is fine and working.

apologies for all the hassle. feeling at bit silly now.

Cheers for all the help.

• Well you run your games in 4K on a "Haswell" system. /shrug :D:D:D my bad.

That hadnt even crossed my mind, I only had a new 4K TV delivered yesterday so it has always just been set at 1080/60 not 2160/30

Kodi had autodetected and switched over to 4K, I've just switched it back to 1080 at 60 and everything is fine and working.

apologies for all the hassle. feeling at bit silly now.

Cheers for all the help.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you need at least HDMI 2.0 or Displayport 1.2 to drive your Display at the resolution & desired refresh rate. So maybe change the output device to DP if available.

• 5schatten, a though concerning Spectre & Meltdown vulnerabilities... It's a known fact that related patches for the vulnerabilities are slowing down an OS.

I know those patches are crucial for hosting companies for obvious reasons. As for LibreELEC we basically have just root user so I feel like it's useless to have them enabled.

• 5schatten, a though concerning Spectre & Meltdown vulnerabilities... It's a known fact that related patches for the vulnerabilities are slowing down an OS.

I know those patches are crucial for hosting companies for obvious reasons. As for LibreELEC we basically have just root user so I feel like it's useless to have them enabled.

Well I'm not an expert if it comes to spectre & meltdown but afaik it's partly about isolating memory content from access of other software so i.e. one website shouldn't be able to read your protected account data from another one. Anyway those patches are included in bios updates, kernel firmware and finally in in the kernel itself. If you think it's worth it then feel free to disable them, I'll stick to the LE upstream kernel as far as possible.

Btw. a lot of lr cores like mame2010, scummvm, yabause etc. already use -O3 as GCC optimization so I hardly doubt you'll see any crucial performance improvements.

As escalade said if you have to tweak GCC optimize options to make things run properly you better think about upgrading your hardware /shrug

• This hash is generated by the download script used by LE

The "alt" key isn't used in Retroarch but in Emulationstation.

Logs.

I don't know what you mean by Glide? OpenGL? Vulkan should work for specific games with Intel IGP. Dolphin should work, PPSSPP used to work but crashs right now probably due to Mesa 19.0.0-rc7 bugs or else. Most libretro cores won't work flawless with Vulkan so it makes no sense to enable it in Retroarch. Basically Vulkan makes sense for Dolphin everything else won't suffer from OpenGL or doesn't support video acceleration at all.

Ok for opengl-vulkan stuff. For the keyboard layout, I don't know what logs could be helpful to you... if I run chrome, the keyboard layout is right, if I try to write in emulationstation, it's right... if I run retroarch and go to the input configuration to remap some keys (volume up/down for example), when I press the keyboard keys, no key has the right association.

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard+mousepad (fn key present) with Italian layout.

Thank you

• Ok for opengl-vulkan stuff. For the keyboard layout, I don't know what logs could be helpful to you... if I run chrome, the keyboard layout is right, if I try to write in emulationstation, it's right... if I run retroarch and go to the input configuration to remap some keys (volume up/down for example), when I press the keyboard keys, no key has the right association.

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard+mousepad (fn key present) with Italian layout.

Thank you

Well if you have an italian keyboard layout & a multimedia keyboard you can't expect it to work out of the box. You have to change your keyboard layout in LibreELEC settings to get your keys interpreted as italian layout and you have to probably have to change the language in Retroarch to italian too.

Also I'm not entirely sure what you're going to remap and what purpose this serves. In the end it makes not much sense to use any emulator without a proper gamepad /shrug:/

Anyway there is a complete documentation available for such topics Input and Controls - Libretro Docs

You can disable them with kernel command line options: Linux kernel gets another option to disable Spectre mitigations | ZDNet

• but afaik it's partly about isolating memory content from access of other software so i.e. one website shouldn't be able to read your protected account data from another one

not really, well kinda... those vulnerabilities are dangerous for multi-user scenario, something like: lets say there's some machine with root user and some unprivileged users (no sudo/root access), so by using the vulnerabilities the unprivileged users can access content in the memory that does not belongs to them and technically they can steal sensitive content from root, also in most cases they can get root access. Now just think about those guys like for example AWS EC2 or Google GCP. They provide a set of virtual machines (VMs) and containers (maybe better term is paravirtualization here) that are running on a single machine (hypervisor). So attacker can use these vulnerabilities to steal data from neighbors or even to get access to neighbors environment. Now back to LibreELEC topic, we have just a single user aka root, so potentially if somebody will steal your credentials to ssh under root to LibreELEC - this person basically already will be full privileged user, he don't need to apply these vulnerabilities since full access is already granted.

Anyway those patches are included in bios updates, kernel firmware and finally in in the kernel itself. If you think it's worth it then feel free to disable them, I'll stick to the LE upstream kernel as far as possible.

So let's make it clear, I'm talking about kernel space.

If you pay close enough attention you find a switch. There's a switch which disable these patches, so why do you need it? Yeap, because of performance issues. At this point I don't understand LE upstream committers. There's no point to use these patches at LibreELEC, it slows down the system. I have a feeling that they just too busy with other things or just not fully aware concerning this situation, and these patches are enabled by default, for security reasons,... which is not the case for LibreELEC as mentioned above. /shrug

And now comes the question! :D What the level of regression.... for let's say Kodi and related libs? This is highly application/code dependent. For MySQL myisam the level of regression is 40% (just en example), there're apps where regression is just about 5% .

Some more benchmarking can be found here .

This is just fyi, to bring some clarity into this, I work as a system engineer and have some knowledge :S

For sure I will disable this for myself, tho some people might ask a question like: why my 4k blu-ray/mkv(whatever) movie of jellyfish has some frameloss, it was not the case few kernels ago,..... or maybe not ;)

Btw. a lot of lr cores like mame2010, scummvm, yabause etc. already use -O3 as GCC optimization so I hardly doubt you'll see any crucial performance improvements.

I feel like now everything loads much faster, but I'm pretty sure it's a placebo effect :D .

if you have to tweak GCC optimize options to make things run properly you better think about upgrading your hardware

I have skylake arch, i5-7260U . It's more like for fun, to activate all force of the cpu ^^

I remember we did some tests at work and we found some applications perform much better on non-standart compile flags, tho an environment quite different.

• Are there any 32-bit graphics libraries for Nvidia cards in your build? From what I've been reading that my be why PCSX2 is not working for me.

PCSX2 is included in a Docker image because generic LE builds are 64bit only /shrug The Docker image of course features only one Nvidia driver which is recent. So it installs this Arch Linux - nvidia 418.43-7 (x86_64) which ist right now version 418.43 and all other drivers can't be installed at the same time Reverse Conflicts: nvidia-340xx, nvidia-340xx-dkms, nvidia-390xx, nvidia-390xx-dkms, nvidia-dkms so if you own an older card which is not supported by the lates driver set it will fail.

In the end blame either PCSX2 because they are too lazy to rewrite a proper 64bit recompiler or blame Nvidia for not including opensource drivers that cover all of their products.

• I currently have the latest milhouse build of official libreelec on my pi3 b+.

Can I now just set my Update Channel to Index of /builds/ and update?

Or do I need to flash the 9.1 Version from your Starting post and then set the Update-Channel?

Does the Netflix addon (widevine encrypted) work with your fork?

Thanks

• I currently have the latest milhouse build of official libreelec on my pi3 b+.

Can I now just set my Update Channel to Index of /builds/ and update?

Or do I need to flash the 9.1 Version from your Starting post and then set the Update-Channel?

Does the Netflix addon (widevine encrypted) work with your fork?

Thanks

This is LE 9.x with additions so what works with master LE most likely works with my build too. But you have to make a clean install first. Afterwards you can switch between any version as you like but since vanilla LE uses 512MB partition size my builds don't fit.