LibreELEC-RR 9.x [ Emulationstation | Retroarch | Pegasus | DolphinQT | Moonlight | Chrome | Spotify ]

• its late.. 2 weeks late (me and the months of December and for that matter November and december) dont exactly mix. (i've been told i should seek help in at that time of the year again in diagnosing SADs, but happy new year 5schatten

I've been busy w/ my sort of "Personal Hell" both inner and outer since real late November,so i didnt really monitor for Updates. I went unchecked till December 31st, (new years eve when the Depression began to lift and i could ENJOY things once more) but the build i have in my Download history doesn't match your RC change logs... (so i hope it wasn't a broken-pulled build) the Filename is "LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-9.0-RR-201852-44f803a.img.gz" which seems to place this between RC3 builds "201851-1acbb17" and "201852-52323f1"

i made sure to go thru the builds i didn't recognize for any that indicated to delete something before updating. the only one i couldn't seem to do is for "RC4 201901-c30d584" and this change/deletion request: "completely reworked mupen64plus standalone -> superseeded by m64p -> delete your old mupen64plus config dir before you update!" (simply i couldn't find the folder (so i guess i should be good either way.

(Would be nice if there was a script like in the old days of XBMC on the Xbox that could check for updates and display whats new,but for here, it'd pull from Google Drive download to the Update directory , Display whats new , if anything is marked "Delete before updating" it would delete then restart. sounds too much work to make it to save a few moments of "Get up off laze-arse, check forums, read change logs for if an update Requires configs to be deleted, copy update over, Update")

but either way i hope the month of December treated you fairly and that sofar 2019 is starting off well for you!

Better late than never ^^ Happy new year too.

Well if there is no mupen64plus standalone directory then probably because it's not listed as a common or ARM SBC emulator so it's only available for Generic builds. About the automatic updates keep in mind that this is still a somewhat beta/WIP build. I'm still reworking stuff and try to handle things better than others did in the past so I'm steadily changing stuff in the underlaying system. I could have said well check your mupen64lib paths and update them but just telling perople to delete a folder is the safe way to do this.

I could change a lot of stuff to "auto update" but then you would lose the ability to adjust settings or I would overwrite your custom config with every update what is not a convinient way too.

Mind sharing how you got it to work? I am unable to make it work.

Well get valid bios files & place then in the correct diretory and it will start. But it runs like §%$§&§ for most games but blame libretro overhead for that /shrug The standalone core would maybe perform better but it's IMHO a pile of shards without a proper SDL2 implementation which allows at least an easy controller configuration :rolleyes:

SDL code completely broken · Issue #1322 · reicast/reicast-emulator · GitHub

Make SDL input usable · Issue #1371 · reicast/reicast-emulator · GitHub

• Well get valid bios files & place then in the correct diretory and it will start. But it runs like §%$§&§ for most games but blame libretro overhead for that /shrug The standalone core would maybe perform better but it's IMHO a pile of shards without a proper SDL2 implementation which allows at least an easy controller configuration :rolleyes:

SDL code completely broken · Issue #1322 · reicast/reicast-emulator · GitHub

Make SDL input usable · Issue #1371 · reicast/reicast-emulator · GitHub

I tried that, several times,unless my bios files are corrupt, but they do have the correct hashes, the standalone reicast works with my DC images, but using your build (or mine) I can't get the freaking libretro one to work, don't know why.

and I agree standalone Reicast is a mess to configure the gamepad, but its not that hard and once you do it it runs very good on the S905 (not perfect of course) which is surprising.

I am actually trying to port the script that they use in Retropie to configure the controller for different emulators from ES itself, if that works then the controller would be a non-issue :)

Edited 2 times, last by niabi (January 15, 2019 at 6:12 PM).

• I tried that, several times,unless my bios files are corrupt, but they do have the correct hashes, the standalone reicast works with my DC images, but using your build (or mine) I can't get the freaking libretro one to work, don't know why.

and I agree standalone Reicast is a mess to configure the gamepad, but its not that hard and once you do it it runs very good on the S905 (not perfect of course) which is surprising.

I am actually trying to port the script that they use in Retropie to configure the controller for different emulators from ES itself, if that works then the controller would be a non-issue :)

You placed the bios files dc_boot.bin & dc_flash.bin in the ...\bios\dc\ subfolder? Even if it runs I have some graphical glitches so I guess it doesn't link correct to libGLESv2 or something /shrug but naomi stuff like boots fine even though it's quite slow.

The whole evdev controller config is a mess so they should rework the SDL backend what's IMHO the absolut basics if you provide an emulator :/

• You placed the bios files dc_boot.bin & dc_flash.bin in the ...\bios\dc\ subfolder? Even if it runs I have some graphical glitches so I guess it doesn't link correct to libGLESv2 or something /shrug but naomi stuff like boots fine even though it's quite slow.

The whole evdev controller config is a mess so they should rework the SDL backend what's IMHO the absolut basics if you provide an emulator :/

Yep, did that, correct hashes and all, but oh well if it doesn't run well I won't bother anymore with it, I'll stick with the standalone.

Yeah I guess you are right, but I don't find evdev to be that complicated and you only have to do it once, unless you change controllers a lot. Then the emulator runs at a very decent speed, so I won't complain, I still get to play Giga Wing :D

• Yep, did that, correct hashes and all, but oh well if it doesn't run well I won't bother anymore with it, I'll stick with the standalone.

Yeah I guess you are right, but I don't find evdev to be that complicated and you only have to do it once, unless you change controllers a lot. Then the emulator runs at a very decent speed, so I won't complain, I still get to play Giga Wing :D

Giga Wing -> FinaBurn Alpha? :D

• Hey there 5schatten and guys,

First of all thanks for your hard work in making this build happen, this is exactly something I've been looking for :)

As much as I enjoy using it, I'm also facing a couple of issues which I couldn't resolve myself so I finally gave up and decided to ask for your assistance.

So here it goes:

- PSX and Dreamcast emulators are terribly laggy including crackling sound which I just can't stand, it sounds terrible and my head starts to crack the moment I hear it. I messed around with different drivers and latency settings to no avail. A very small improvement is what I managed to get. Interestingly, this does not happen with windows version of retroarch installed on the very same pc (tested with gl/d3d and wasapi for audio), so my feeling here is that it might be related to drivers. Are there any different drivers available to test? I doubt I'll be able to install them due to read-only fs, correct? :)

- Second issue I have is with PPSSPP, basically I'm not able to make it stretch to fullscreen, it takes up only around 1/4 of it in the bottom left corner. Settings are fine according to instructions I've found on the net. I also noticed that now after changing some of them, games no longer boot up, I can only see intro and then it gets back to emulationstation :( I guess removing the configuration file would resolve the issue, but it still won't utilize entire screen...

So of all the emulators I tested already, only SNES works flawlessly. I'd love to play some classic PSX/DC games so I would really appreciate some help (and my wife too, she just loves spyro :) ).

My hardware is as follows:

AsRock Q1900B-ITX (integrated Celeron J1900 and Intel graphics)

4GB RAM

Audio going through HDMI via AVR, works fine for movies/music etc.

I'll happily provide all kinds of logs if you tell me what is needed.

Thanks a lot for any help in advance!

• Check the emulator FAQ I've added some configuration details to libretro-pcsx-rearmed and change Beetle-PSX to PCSX ReARMED which should run fine. You can't install Windows drivers on Unix/Linux systems so you have to deal with it. If it performs better on Windows it's probably related to optimization issues. Anyway your J1900 is really really slow even compared to my 10W low-end HTPC j3455 UserBenchmark: Intel Celeron J1900 vs J3455 which delivers about 60% more performance.

If PPSSPP does not start in fullscreen delete the .ini files in \\yourdevice\Configfiles\ppsspp\PSP\SYSTEM\ and apply an update of my builds so the default config should be restored. The default config in ppsspp.ini should contain a line FullScreen = True which forces fullscreen in PPSSPP.

Also what resolution does your TV use? 1080p or 4k?

• I need your help. I have no sound. Neither in Kodi nor while gaming.

I changed the advanced.conf file and entered the command in putty. But I dont understand what device I have to choose and where I have to copy it. Thats how it looks like atm:

sn92oyfo.jpg

I have no extra speakers but only my TV. TV and Nuc are connected by hdmi1.

• Check the emulator FAQ I've added some configuration details to libretro-pcsx-rearmed and change Beetle-PSX to PCSX ReARMED which should run fine. You can't install Windows drivers on Unix/Linux systems so you have to deal with it. If it performs better on Windows it's probably related to optimization issues. Anyway your J1900 is really really slow even compared to my 10W low-end HTPC j3455 UserBenchmark: Intel Celeron J1900 vs J3455 which delivers about 60% more performance.

If PPSSPP does not start in fullscreen delete the .ini files in \\yourdevice\Configfiles\ppsspp\PSP\SYSTEM\ and apply an update of my builds so the default config should be restored. The default config in ppsspp.ini should contain a line FullScreen = True which forces fullscreen in PPSSPP.

Also what resolution does your TV use? 1080p or 4k?

Thanks for your response, using pcsx-rearmed instead of beetle-psx helped a tad, the sound as well as overall performance is much better now, but ti's still not at the level I'd expect it to be (it was very smooth on windows, both gfx/sound).

Yeah I know J1900 is not a performance beast, I bought it like 5 years ago and it served its purpose really well to this day, though one memory slot is now dead and I'm thinking of a replacement but not just yet ;)

Your proposed solution to PPSSSPP issue worked like a charm, thanks a lot! It's now fullscreen and very smooth at 3xPSP rendering resolution. Wish I could get similar results with other platforms.

And my TV is 1080p.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!

• And here are some further questions to retro gaming:

How can I use one of my own libretro cores, where do I have to copy them? Retroarch displays that they are located in tmp/cores. Is that the full path?

While launching the libretro cores in Emulationstation work very well I have issues with the standalone emus. If I start a game for PCSX2 the screen turns black and nothing happens. Launching Dolphin leads to a black screen for like 2 seconds before it goes back to ES. And Roms for PPSSPP start but are shrinked in TV's left bottom corner.

Edited once, last by Kupo91 (January 16, 2019 at 7:08 PM).

• 5schatten is possible to add cemu emulator in ES? It’s for Wii U games.

Btw i tried the last couple of days pcxs2, dolphin and some gamecube games, and all games played fine on my nuc.

Some games like god of war 2 (ps2), soul calibur 2 (ps2), mario kart double dash (GC), metroid prime (GC), soul calibur 2 (GC), mario kart wii played 1080p. With 3x native the graphics looks really great!:)

Thank you very much for this build.

Edited once, last by Marciano (January 16, 2019 at 7:17 PM).

• I need your help. I have no sound. Neither in Kodi nor while gaming.

I changed the advanced.conf file and entered the command in putty. But I dont understand what device I have to choose and where I have to copy it. Thats how it looks like atm:

sn92oyfo.jpg

I have no extra speakers but only my TV. TV and Nuc are connected by hdmi1.

First make sure your Kodi audio is working and this is not LE RR specific.

https://kodi.wiki/view/settings/system/audio

Audio quickstart guide - Official Kodi Wiki

And here are some further questions to retro gaming:

How can I use one of my own libretro cores, where do I have to copy them? Retroarch displays that they are located in tmp/cores. Is that the full path?

While launching the libretro cores in Emulationstation work very well I have issues with the standalone emus. If I start a game for PCSX2 the screen turns black and nothing happens. Launching Dolphin leads to a black screen for like 2 seconds before it goes back to ES. And Roms for PPSSPP start but are shrinked in TV's left bottom corner.

I guess you did not read the first post of this thread otherwise you would not ask this question or are you going to compile the cores with the latest toolchain yourself? I clearly stated that Lakka cores won't run until they rebased to LE9 or something similar. Otherwise the personal cores are stored in \\yourdevice\Configfiles\retroarch\cores but don't expect support for third party cores.

Well I guess you didn't read anything of my emulator FAQ either? Dolphin crashes because you have haven't configured your audio first. PCSX2 downloads my Docker container first as stated in my FAQ and it's about 1GB in size so yeah the screen stays black until it's done. And I've answered how to fix PPSSPP fullscreen here so straight in front of your first post.

Btw. not a single log file attached?

Well this is me while debugging stuff...

imago61210943h.jpg?itok=QdveGi-T

5schatten is possible to add cemu emulator in ES? It’s for Wii U games.

Btw i tried the last couple of days pcxs2, dolphin and some gamecube games, and all games played fine on my nuc.

Some games like god of war 2 (ps2), soul calibur 2 (ps2), mario kart double dash (GC), metroid prime (GC), soul calibur 2 (GC), mario kart wii played 1080p. With 3x native the graphics looks really great!:)

Thank you very much for this build.

Cemu is closed source windows only so needs WINE and relies on AMD/Nvidia dedicated cards to run so don't expect it in my build. Well or to be specific if they ever release an OSS version or at least Linux binaries I would give it a try. /shrug

Thanks for your response, using pcsx-rearmed instead of beetle-psx helped a tad, the sound as well as overall performance is much better now, but ti's still not at the level I'd expect it to be (it was very smooth on windows, both gfx/sound).

Yeah I know J1900 is not a performance beast, I bought it like 5 years ago and it served its purpose really well to this day, though one memory slot is now dead and I'm thinking of a replacement but not just yet ;)

Your proposed solution to PPSSSPP issue worked like a charm, thanks a lot! It's now fullscreen and very smooth at 3xPSP rendering resolution. Wish I could get similar results with other platforms.

And my TV is 1080p.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!

I've added some notes to beetle-psx you can try to run the beetle-psx hw core which supports OpenGL so maybe this speeds up things for you although I had visual glitches with it but it's maybe worth a try.

First make sure your Kodi audio is working and this is not LE RR specific.

https://kodi.wiki/view/settings/system/audio

Audio quickstart guide - Official Kodi Wiki

Thanks I got it fixed. Atleast in kodi. I will try to get it working while gaming too.

I guess you did not read the first post of this thread otherwise you would not ask this question or are you going to compile the cores with the latest toolchain yourself? I clearly stated that Lakka cores won't run until they rebased to LE9 or something similar. Otherwise the personal cores are stored in \\yourdevice\Configfiles\retroarch\cores but don't expect support for third party cores.

Its about the easyrpg core which is not included in your build. I downloaded the latest version of this core via retroarch but this core has some issues which I didnt have on my S905X box. And in the past I experienced that cores on buildbot sometimes are corrupt or dont work as they should. So my intention was to test the easyrpg core which is included in the latest version of lakka. Didnt know that lakka cores dont work fpr LE9. I also found the cores folder in configfiles/retroarch but since it was empty I assumed it was the wrong place.

Well I guess you didn't read anything of my emulator FAQ either? Dolphin crashes because you have haven't configured your audio first. PCSX2 downloads my Docker container first as stated in my FAQ and it's about 1GB in size so yeah the screen stays black until it's done.

I did. I've read the chapter Emulator section | How to's | Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ]

"PCSX2 relies ony my Docker container so you have to install the Kodi Docker addon first. It should be available in the standard LibreELEC repositories."

So what I did is opening the LibreElec repo and looked for the Docker addon what confused me pretty well because it was preinstalled. Then I installed the Docker addon from your google drive but that didnt help. So ye I tried to fix it by myself without any success.

And I've answered how to fix PPSSPP fullscreen here so straight in front of your first post.

Ye ok didnt read that.

• You can try to download the cores from the build bot but as I stated in my first post, which you should have read, those cores are build for a LE 8.2.x base so they can work but for example genesis-gx-plus failed for someone on his S905. The /tmp/cores directory is a virtual/overlay directory that combines the content of /usr/lib/libretro & /storage/.config/retroarch/cores so if you upload any core to the latter one Retroarch should recognize it at least after you restart.

Docker isn't included in my build and also not in vanilla LE but it's available in the standard repo. If you start PCSX2 it has to download my container first so do the math how long it takes to download 1GB for you and leave the system running for this time. And as always... and written in the first post... check out /var/log which contains the emulator logfiles. As long as PCSX2 downloads stuff it's logged in of the files.