Geniatech Mygica HDStar DVB-S2 USB HD not working

• now Geniatech sell update HDStar V3.0 with m88ds3103b demod. Look like same PCB, but updated demod need some driver update (some like initial clock) init diffrences

• I gotcha, so now there is another revision of m88ds3103 chip, that's gonna need among other things some updates to m88ds3103_priv.h in the sense of another table of initial register settings, etc???

ie like an additional table of init vals, and some way to trigger loading them upon recognizing a new chip id?

and guessing with no documentation, the only way we are gonna know what they should be set to is to have the newest hardware in

hand, and either do some i2c sniffing, or usb snooping of an updated windows driver that actually works?

or wait to see if dvbsky implements the new chip also, and actually contributes an updated m88ds3103 module to the kernel...

Just a guess, that we might see something from dvbsky developers before geniatech? seein as they actually went thru the hoops to implement an entire usb driver for the mainline linux kernel based on their hardware.. Assuming dvbsky has to buy the same new chip from Montage, eventually.

ughh

static const struct m88ds3103_reg_val m88ds3103b_dvbs_init_reg_vals[] = {

static const struct m88ds3103_reg_val m88ds3103b_dvbs2_init_reg_vals[] = {

Edited 5 times, last by majortom (June 13, 2019 at 12:18 PM).

• now Geniatech sell update HDStar V3.0 with m88ds3103b demod. Look like same PCB, but updated demod need some driver update (some like initial clock) init diffrences

I bought this version. Is it possible to make it work now with linux or I should just wait? Any way to help in the driver update?

• I have never read this thread from beginning to end, but I think if you do, you will find there is a solution to m88ds3103b and some folks with m88ds3103b reporting it working. I have never seen such chip so can't help...

• I have never read this thread from beginning to end, but I think if you do, you will find there is a solution to m88ds3103b and some folks with m88ds3103b reporting it working. I have never seen such chip so can't help...

I have and I think the first mention to m88ds3103b is by crazycat in this page. In other forums there are some mentions, I have tried some of the solutions but no luck. I'll keep trying and update here if I achieve something.

• It's working with the crazycat driver. But there are some bugs like continuity errors, problems with EPG and signal.

I tried the LibreELEC unofficial version with DVB drivers from here with crazycat drivers but didn't work.

Maybe you say that because of the img that is supposed to work with it but the link gives a 404 error.

• Thanks to this I got frontend with crazy cat drivers in the last Ubuntu Server version for rbpi3. The problem now is that it only finds 2 channels, and I get flooded with this message while the device is connected.

Code
    bcm2835-cpufreq:bcm2835_cpufreq_set_clock:84: Failed to set clock: 1200000 (-12)
    bcm2835-cpufreq:bcm2835_cpufreq_driver_target_index:183: Error occurred setting a new frequency (1200000)
    cpufreq: __target_index: Failed to change cpu frequency: -22
  • After that I got the same message but with different number

Code
    [  268.971808] bcm2835-cpufreq:bcm2835_cpufreq_set_clock:76: Failed to set clock: 600000 (-12)
    [  268.980421] bcm2835-cpufreq:bcm2835_cpufreq_driver_target_index:175: Error occurred setting a new frequency (600000)
    [  268.991268] cpufreq: __target_index: Failed to change cpu frequency: -22

so it worked with that number

Code
    echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_max_freq
  • I'm trying to get my new Geniatech HDStar working. It was purchased from the MyGica official Alibaba store so I presume it's "HDStar V3.0 with m88ds3103b demod" (not sure i entirely understand what that means).

So i first tried to install TVHeadend to Raspbian Lite and then update Kernel to Crazy Cats Media Build but couldn't see the device in TVHeadend, gave-up and tried LE as it's a lot more straightforward for TVH.

I'm now running LE and have activated Crazy Cats DVB-S drivers (even though it states they are for TBS). The HDStar showed up and scanned for channels fine. Only problem is that I can't watch certain BBC HD Channels as it produces continuity errors. I presume this is a driver problem from the research I've been doing.

I was considering trying to apply CvH's patch on page 4 but bit confused about how to do so and not sure it's the right course of action.

Can anyone provide any advice as to if i can fix the problems and if so how?

I've copied my dmseg to pastebin if that helps...

dmesg

Thanks in advance

• Only problem is that I can't watch certain BBC HD Channels as it produces continuity errors. I presume this is a driver problem from the research I've been doing

I had that issue as well. Can you access any of the ITV HD channels? I found a solution which appears to work. Maybe someone like CrazyCat could look at my solution, and see if the change is safe enough for other users to test? The only other issue I've had, which I think is unrelated, is occasionally, maybe every week or so, I'll get flooded with 'dw2102: i2c transfer failed.' messages and have to reboot. I'm not running a Raspberry Pi or any device which is particularly well supported by the Linux community, so I can't rule out the possibility my device just has slightly flaky USB drivers.

• Thanks for the replies.

Can you access any of the ITV HD channels?

No, I can't view ITV HD. Would love to implement your fix but not sure how I can go about it on Libreelec!?

also pls try the dvb-latest driver, they have a different version of that driver included, maybe this works better :)

Okay. How would I go about this? I've tried switching the drivers in Libreelec to the "latest" but that results in the device not showing up at all in TVH. I've also tried the alpha release of LE 9.2 but same story.

with ts_clk=16000 and target_mclk = 144000 copied from m88rs6000.c values

more channels shows up and running good but not perfect still some channels are not stable

Is it possible to make these changes in LE?

• with ts_clk=16000 and target_mclk = 144000 copied from m88rs6000.c values

more channels shows up and running good but not perfect still some channels are not stable

Any chance the channels which still don't work are on transponders with a bit rate higher than 53 Mb/s? I'm using channels available from the UK at 28.2°E, so I haven't really been able to test it with any transponder carrying more data than that, unless you count the 8k test channel, which doesn't work. I might have another go with the upstream drivers at some point, and see if they are working any better.

Would love to implement your fix but not sure how I can go about it on Libreelec!?

I downloaded and compiled the driver myself, using these instructions. If you are quite new to Linux, and haven't compiled much code before, it may be easier to wait for further developments.

Edited once, last by davidryderuk (August 21, 2019 at 9:55 PM).