Wetek Play 2 (S905) - HDR or no HDR?

• Hi,

I have a Wetek Play 2 (S905) which until now has been connected to a Sony Bravia Full HD (1080p) Smart TV (2015 model) and I've run various "flavours" of LibreELEC (and CoreELEC), both Krypton and Leia Alpha with no problems - it really is a good, responsive box.

I've now upgraded to a Sony KD-55XE596 4K Smart TV, which is capable of displaying full 4K HDR 60fps/HDR10 signals and will auto-switch to HDR10 if it detects this (works great on Netflix). The Wetek Play 2 is connected with a 4k compliant HDMI 2.0 cable.

Of course, I am now wishing to watch 4K HDR10 media/movies via LibreELEC.

If I watch HEVC/x265 4K HDR contentt with LibreELEC on Wetek Play 2, then the media plays OK (smooth with no stutter) but the TV does not auto-switch to HDR10 and colours are "washed out". If I manually select HDR on TV, then the image is glorious. If I watch the same content via the TV's built-in Android Kodi/SPMC via a USB HDD (all my media is on 2 5Tb powered USB HDD - the Play 2 has no issues with this), then the media plays perfectly and the TV auto-switches to HDR10 mode.

The box will not play full 4K HDR 60fps media (like these demos -Sony: Mont Blanc HDR & Sony Bravia OLED HDR10) the image stutters and the TV reports the fps is only around 13-15fps and there is no HDR auto-switching. Again, playing this same media directly via the TV's built-in Android Kodi/SPMC via a USB HDD, then the media plays perfectly and the TV auto-switches to HDR10 mode.

I was under the impression that S905 boxes with LibreELEC can play/output HDR content via conversion, so why is the TV not detecting the HDR signal?

As the box cannot play full 4K HDR 60fps media without stuttering, then would it be worth me investing in a S912 box (Minix neo u9-h, MECOOL M8S PRO, Beelink GT1 Ultimate, H96 Pro +) and if I did, what LibreELEC would you recommend; official or kszaq ??

Many thanks and apologies for the long post!

• what LibreELEC would you recommend; official or kszaq ??

I use the last stable build from kszaq as my daily driver, I own three boxes(2X905X & 1XS912)

Did somes tests with pre alpha versions, if You want to spend much time give it a try, but this early 8.9 versions are not very stable

• I use the last stable build from kszaq as my daily driver, I own three boxes(2X905X & 1XS912)

Did somes tests with pre alpha versions, if You want to spend much time give it a try, but this early 8.9 versions are not very stable

Thanks Tim_Taylor

I've been "experimenting" with CoreELEC just for Netflix, but I use kszaq stable build as my main daily usage.

Any thoughts on upgrading to a S912 box? Is is worth it for 4K HDR10 playback and if so, does anyone have a suggestion for what box to get?

Thanks

• Any thoughts on upgrading to a S912 box?

For watching 4k HDR You can use a simple S905X box.

In my case, I use S905X in my living room every day, running 24/7 without any issue,

my S912 is for testing only - I am an IT prof and interested in playing around ....

But my boss(Jill) wants a stable box in our living room - no "experimenting" otherwise I have to sleep on the couch :shy:

• For watching 4k HDR You can use a simple S905X box.

In my case, I use S905X in my living room every day, running 24/7 without any issue,

my S912 is for testing only - I am an IT prof and interested in playing around ....

But my boss(Jill) wants a stable box in our living room - no "experimenting" otherwise I have to sleep on the couch :shy:

Thanks.

Sorry to flog dead horse, but as you say it's all about that important WAF (!!). So a S905X box (like your Beelink) will suffice and allow me to watch 4K HDR10 60fps content and my TV should auto-switch with this?

• So a S905X box (like your Beelink) will suffice and allow me to watch 4K HDR10 60fps content and my TV should auto-switch with this?

I don´t know if Your TV will - my TV(Philips OLED) just do it.

But I´m not looking for errors with the magnifier like many people do.

BTW:

Most 4k HDR videos(films) are 24fps

• I don´t know if Your TV will - my TV(Philips OLED) just do it.

But I´m not looking for errors with the magnifier like many people do.

BTW:

Most 4k HDR videos(films) are 24fps

Thanks Tim_Taylor

I'll take a hunch that since the TV auto-switches with content played directly from android Kodi and Netflix it will do same on S905x or S912!

Thanks for your support...just want a "perfect" setup and no complaints from my boss!!

• Official Post

S905 does not support HDR. S905D/X support HDR via an 10-bit to 8-bit conversion process (internal to the SoC). S912 also handles proper 10-bit HDR but won't be supportable on the next generation Kodi video pipeline (Kodi v19). S905D2/X2 which appear soon (and S922 later in the year) support 10-bit HDR and will be supportable on the next-generation Kodi video pipeline.

• And by Kodi v19 release time (maybe 1 --> 1.5 years) - HDMI 2.1 will also very likely be a known standard, so we go around again on the upgrade TV / AVR / media player Hardware merry go round ;)

The S905 D/X boxes are going to seem pretty slow by the time we get to the future with all manner of 4K HDR hardware choices then likely being compatible with Kodi v19. We may not even favour AMLogic hardware by then. 8|

Ultimately it's up to each individual how often they upgrade Kodi hardware and what their actual need are.

• Official Post

Some users expect to replace their box(es) every two years. Others expect their investment to last longer. Since we know today that those boxes are currently (sadly) a technical dead-end, we should be clear about it so users can make an informed choice. For the record, I am still petitioning Amlogic to license the Linux libs that would guarantee S912 a better future.

• And on behalf of AMLogic S912 users we thank you for your lobbying efforts to get Mali-T820 GPU Linux Libs.

Maybe you should make a sticky in this Subforum detailing your AMLogic (insider) info above and then users can make up their own minds about which S9xx Hardware to purchase if they are concerned about long term support.

Even if LE S912's only last till Kodi v19, for a device like the - USD$55 Tanix TX92 (S912) it's still great value for a quick - HD audio and 4K HDR capable media player.

At those prices those types of AML S9xx boxes are throwaway items.

• And on behalf of AMLogic S912 users we thank you for your lobbying efforts to get Mali-T820 GPU Linux Libs.

Maybe you should make a sticky in this Subforum detailing your AMLogic (insider) info above and then users can make up their own minds about which S9xx Hardware to purchase if they are concerned about long term support.

Even if LE S912's only last till Kodi v19, for a device like the - USD$55 Tanix TX92 (S912) it's still great value for a quick - HD audio and 4K HDR capable media player.

At those prices those types of AML S9xx boxes are throwaway items.

thanks wrxtasy .

As you say, these boxes are quite inexpensive(!) so I've purchased a S912 box for around €50. Hopefully this will suit my needs.

I'n not really interested in thinking 2-3 years ahead; else I'd never but any tech!!