Movie not playing 8.2.4.1 through SMB

• A follow up from my last topic. I updated from 8.2.2.3 to 8.2.4.1.
    I never had issues playing through smb. Though I must say I have only used it a couple of times.
    So after updating now this share, is still accessible, however the screen will freeze for 10 seconds, then turn black for 3 seconds, and then return to Kodi start screen, after trying to start a video file. (4k HDR)

Any idea on what is causing this?

Also some questions on how to best use SMB or other network functions? I have no idea on how to use NFS, i just use SMB since i understand it somewhat.
    The process of adding a new shared folder is very tedious, especially with this stupid remote i have. Is there a way to shorten the adress you need to type?
    You can name you share something like "2" that helps a bit, but still you have to enter the IP adress each time. Also in my network share settings i have disabled the need of a password login, but still Kodi asks me for a password each time for a new share. making the process very long for a quick add.

If I try to access SMB via the network location browsing in Kodi, it will show up ZERO shares. Eventhough I have network discovery on in windows 10...
    This would make the entire thing automatic right? not having me to manually enter each share adress?

If you can tell me how achieve the same result through other means please enlighten me.

EDIT:
    I just found out something the UPNP can also be used for watching videos. at first i wasnt sure how i would get my external devices in the preset folders for upnp. Then I tried adding them as videos in the windows media player library. And tadaa the folders show in UPNP.
    I can add the folders to my Kodi library, and they seem to play!! I guess that sort of solves my SMB problem., but im still curious why I can't see any folders when I access the SMB function network browsing in Kodi.
    And why the video doesn't seem to play from SMB, but does from UPNP...

EDIT2:
    Upon reboot of system and Kodi
    Kodi says could not connect to network server..

Wtf i just connected fine.. Weird..
    So back to square 1!

EDIT3:
    If I re-add the network location that I had earlier. It will work again. Still weird that it doesn't remember the adress/bookmark correctly..

Edited 3 times, last by chrisssj2 (May 16, 2018 at 7:44 PM).

• 1. Is your source (NAS, PC etc.) Supporting SMBv3? You might want to check the forced Max SMB version in your settings in Kodi and see what your source supports (in a recent update in W10, SMBv1 was disabled. If Kodi still communicates with this protocol, it will be denied.)

2. Searching for SMB does not work in LE Kodi. You have to add it with the direct path (either //SERVERNAME/SHARE or //http://192.168.0.xxx/SHARE) And then add username/password.

Once added; Kodi will scan your source / paths and add it to the library with the help of the TMDB scraper. For instance; I had to add 3 shares from my MicroServer Gen8 running Win10 to facilitate films, animations and shows/series. Kodi does the rest.

• 1. Is your source (NAS, PC etc.) Supporting SMBv3? You might want to check the forced Max SMB version in your settings in Kodi and see what your source supports (in a recent update in W10, SMBv1 was disabled. If Kodi still communicates with this protocol, it will be denied.)

2. Searching for SMB does not work in LE Kodi. You have to add it with the direct path (either //SERVERNAME/SHARE or //http://192.168.0.xxx/SHARE) And then add username/password.

Once added; Kodi will scan your source / paths and add it to the library with the help of the TMDB scraper. For instance; I had to add 3 shares from my MicroServer Gen8 running Win10 to facilitate films, animations and shows/series. Kodi does the rest.

I have no idea what my PC is using for SMB version,
    I have fiddled witht he SMB settings yes, setting to min 1 and max1 or min 1 and max 3.
    Still won't allow me to browse dirtectly through SMB. Only if I enter the adresses manually.
    Also I have added SMB 1 in windows 10 settings program features.

Oh wait you are saying browsing SMB without entering any paths isn't working inLE kodi?

• I have no idea what my PC is using for SMB version,
    I have fiddled witht he SMB settings yes, setting to min 1 and max1 or min 1 and max 3.
    Still won't allow me to browse dirtectly through SMB. Only if I enter the adresses manually.
    Also I have added SMB 1 in windows 10 settings program features.

Oh wait you are saying browsing SMB without entering any paths isn't working inLE kodi?

Browsing for SMB shares does not work when using W10, due to the SMB version... See:

LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.1.0 BETA – LibreELEC

(Assuming you are using kszaq's build for your mediaplayer)

Also set the max SMB version in Kodi to v3 and disable V1 in Windows 10:

How to disable SMBv1 to protect your Windows PC from malicious attacks | Windows Central

• Browsing for SMB shares does not work when using W10, due to the SMB version... See:

LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.1.0 BETA – LibreELEC

(Assuming you are using kszaq's build for your mediaplayer)

Also set the max SMB version in Kodi to v3 and disable V1 in Windows 10:

How to disable SMBv1 to protect your Windows PC from malicious attacks | Windows Central

V1 was already disabled in Windows 10. I installed it because I thought it might help which it didn't.
    So yeah. And kodi was already on V3 aswell back then. Still wouldn't allow direct browsing...

I use this build:
    [8.2.4.1] LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - S912 devices

So yeah.. frankly thats why I opened this topic because it didn't make any sense to me as everything seemed setup alright.

• Then what is your current issue? Are films still not playing via SMB or...?

The limitation of browsing on SMB shares and W10 is known and means you have to place direct paths to the shares. That is it, nothing to be done about it.

• I have installed freetz to my router.

With samba-smbd and samba-nmbd.

Configured to be preferred master with os level of election value 128.

so this router is always the smb master.

Never had these can not see this or that problems again in windows networks.

• Then what is your current issue? Are films still not playing via SMB or...?

The limitation of browsing on SMB shares and W10 is known and means you have to place direct paths to the shares. That is it, nothing to be done about it.

The issue is having to type the full path, instead of using the "Direct browsing feature" through all your smb shares.

You say there is nothing to be done about it? oh ok.. atleast i know im not doing anything wrong.
    No chance of saying it will be fixed?

Another issue I have is even though I have my advanced sharing options to not require a password. Kodi will still ask a user and pw.
    Is it required to have a windows account with PW or something?

Edited once, last by chrisssj2 (May 21, 2018 at 12:33 PM).

• The issue is having to type the full path, instead of using the "Direct browsing feature" through all your smb shares.

Try to mount SMB via OS, not via KODI and add the mount command to autostart.sh

On my PC I created a special account(read-only rights) for use with SMB - Username: kodi Password: kodi

This will work with every Version of LE/CE or whatever

• Try to mount SMB via OS, not via KODI and add the mount command to autostart.sh

On my PC I created a special account(read-only rights) for use with SMB - Username: kodi Password: kodi

Hey how do you do that? mount SMB via OS? you mean windows?
    Autostarts.sh? what where? im realy confused
    Im new to kodi/linux and all this.

I created a new guest account earlier today with no password, called MEDIA. so it has only read rights.
    I tried a movie today, and it would freeze the entire time i access the share in the folder. Once I renamed folder and filename it did play. very weird. Any idea? Many other movies did not face this problem.

Edited once, last by chrisssj2 (May 21, 2018 at 8:35 PM).

• Try to mount SMB via OS, not via KODI and add the mount command to autostart.sh

? :)

• Take a look in the directory where the .mkv or witchever format the movie is. Is there a folder with subtitles?! Or is there a file with .srt? Cause i had this in 2-3 movies to, with freezes and reboot of kodi. If you delete the srt or the subs folder, you must have a go. As you know there is a bug with subtitles if they are stored within the movie or tv-series folder. If you must download subs, change the path within kodi from "with video" to a folder on your SD-Card, then it works find.

Greetz,

J

• Hi, it's possible you're having the same problem as me:

1. If you are trying to play a movie through SMB

2. and the movie in the shared folder also has a subtitle file

Then Libreelec crashes.

• Hi, it's possible you're having the same problem as me:

1. If you are trying to play a movie through SMB

2. and the movie in the shared folder also has a subtitle file

Then Libreelec crashes.

Well the video i had an issue with had a subtitle file. However when i renamed both and moved to other folder. it would play through SMB.
    So maybe thats the issue i don't know, but ultimately it still played.