feedback for test build LibreELEC-RK3328

• kostamanI have uploaded test .http://img.gz/.tar files for rock64 and box-trn9 at Index of /test/ built from my latest rockchip-part6 branch.

It includes RendererDRMPRIME: release video buffers after flush by Kwiboo · Pull Request #13978 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub that should make playback a little bit more reliable.

Please report new issues seen on these images compared to latest nightly.

Nice! Everything (still) working nicely. I will test this build a bit more, but I don't presume I will find more errors. My personal highlight is still the 10bit thingy running.

Something else that caught my eye tho: While digging trough my media library for things to test, I actually found a (1080p) VC-1 movie file. It runs in SW, and rather bad. The video playback to slow, and not in sync with audio (just like 4k BBB). Two things to note: While the RK3328 should be able to decode VC-1 in hardware - I presume LE integration will not be feasible soon? Nevertheless, I would have been under the impression that the RK3328 would be able to decode VC-1 in software sufficiently. Maybe this is worth taking a look at (I think I read somewhere that the RaPi 3 can decode VC-1 in software - hence the thought).

• Please report new issues seen on these images compared to latest nightly.

eMMC Inserted with android-7.1-rock-64-rock64_atv-v0.3.13-r115-raw.img

Booting Via SD Card (LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.0-devel-20180606204626-0267cea-rock64)

Kwiboo Very good results with development image using .tar to update.

The strangest thing is that i was not expecting anything to be fixed with the eMMC and SD Card LE inserted at the same time.

I thought i would give it a shot and was pleasantly surprised when the Rock64 booted up and did not freeze.^^

The first time i tried the box booted into LE and rebooted itself TWICE before becoming stable and usable.

I have turned off and on at least 10 times with a 99% successful boot up without freeze.

Sometimes it will boot up to the Leia splash or the home page and reboot to a black screen then continue to boot from the start of a boot with LE Splash / Leia splash / and Home page and freeze no red light just white light. Have to power off with power button and turn on again for a successful bootup.

This is the only version i have ever used that has booted up and not frozen with LE on SD Card and Android TV eMMC inserted at the same time.

It's not perfect but is working at a 9 out of 10 power ups. ;)

I have had the odd time when the box is just idling dim screen then it suddenly rebooted itself through the bootup cycle. /shrug

Black after Stop is fixed. 1080P 50hz now available in whitelist and i use that as GUI .

Playing TV Headend Client channels at 50hz i can now stop and no black screen going back.

I've noticed Live TV Mpeg2 SD channels are now Hardware Decoding.

Noticed after playing Mpeg2 for a while the picture freezes and a repetitive sound continues with both red and white lights gone out.

Have to power off to reboot.

These tests are done with SD Card and eMMC installed at the same time. I will monitor and report back with results using SD Card only to compare.

You are now Officially the Rockchip King:thumbup:

• Kwiboo Do you know an easy way to get the SHA hash values of a specific commit of a package?

Eg. if you change a package commit eg. mpp to 89a1fd3, how do you calculate the hash value?

I can only get it for downloaded files, not whole github repo's at a specific commit.

LibreELEC's build process seems to calculate the correct ones and tell you if it doesn't match.

Thanks

• These tests are done with SD Card and eMMC installed at the same time. I will monitor and report back with results using SD Card only to compare.

OKAY I thought i would do a Fresh Install LE SD Card to eliminate variables.

Fresh LE Vanilla.

eMMC Inserted with android-7.1-rock-64-rock64_atv-v0.3.13-r115-raw.img

Booting Via SD Card (LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.0-devel-20180606204626-0267cea-rock64)

Well this did not go well as far as results with playback and freezing goes.

For some reason the fresh install made things worse even before scanning library and install TV Headend Client.

Loops on start up with freezing. Scrolling library files froze box.

I also had a soft bootup come up after kodi crashed too many times. Never seen this before.

I took the SSH Log just in case it helps.

Anyway the SD Card only inserted works a treat at the moment so we'll wait for the eMMC installed with SD Card LE simultaneously.

Code
    LibreELEC (community): devel-20180606204626-0267cea (RK3328.arm)
    LibreELEC:~ # paste /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log
    http://ix.io/1cAg
    LibreELEC:~ # dmesg | paste
    http://ix.io/1cAh

http://ix.io/1cag

http://ix.io/1cah

• Nice! Everything (still) working nicely. I will test this build a bit more, but I don't presume I will find more errors. My personal highlight is still the 10bit thingy running.

Something else that caught my eye tho: While digging trough my media library for things to test, I actually found a (1080p) VC-1 movie file. It runs in SW, and rather bad. The video playback to slow, and not in sync with audio (just like 4k BBB). Two things to note: While the RK3328 should be able to decode VC-1 in hardware - I presume LE integration will not be feasible soon? Nevertheless, I would have been under the impression that the RK3328 would be able to decode VC-1 in software sufficiently. Maybe this is worth taking a look at (I think I read somewhere that the RaPi 3 can decode VC-1 in software - hence the thought).

10-bit H264 Level 5.2 videos also run in Android Kodi 18 on RK3328 hardware accelerated if you use firmware with the latest code from Rockchip and disable the 10-bit H264 blacklist in Kodi code. I also have VC-1 hardware accelerated playback with MediaCodec in Kodi 18 with 30% CPU usage instead of ffmpeg with 100% CPU usage you would have. But it seems VC-1 videos still play a little slower than other videos, you need Oreo instead of Nougat for it to work better. Rock64 Android Nougat firmware code is now almost 10 months behind RK code and that causes problems.

I don't think VC-1 LibreELEC support would come soon since VC-1 is a patented codec from Microsoft and difficult to play software decoded, unless Rockchip finds a way to decode it with mpp in Linux to access the VPU directly and not use ffmpeg which the CPU can't handle.

If only someone could find a way to dual-boot Android, LibreELEC on RK3328 with petitboot, it would make things very interesting.

GitHub - omegamoon/petitboot-rkbin

• Thanks all for testing the devel build and reporting mostly good results, it may take some time for current work-in-progress to fall into the regular LE nightly builds (sending pull requests to Kodi and wait for the bimonthly Kodi package update in LE).

I will continue to upload new builds to Index of /test/ once there is something significant that has changed or improved.

Do you know an easy way to get the SHA hash values of a specific commit of a package?

Easiest is to set PKG_SHA256="" and then run scripts/get rkmpp and it will show the sha256, no need to set PKG_SHA256 unless you want to commit and push code. I use projects/Rockchip/tools/update-package-version.sh to update packages but seem to have missed the tools folder in latest part6 push, will include next update.

Also regarding the absolute latest mpp that enables post-process support seem to have a 100% cpu when opening a video and hevc not working issue, I went with the commit before post-process was enabled, [h264d]: remove build warnning · rockchip-linux/mpp@3f57e7b · GitHub for devel image.

I've noticed Live TV Mpeg2 SD channels are now Hardware Decoding.

Noticed after playing Mpeg2 for a while the picture freezes and a repetitive sound continues with both red and white lights gone out.

Hardware mpeg2 decoding is using my experimental ffmpeg rkvpu hwaccel that does not check on errors from VPU, I will activate mpeg2/4 hw decoding from rkmpp decoder once deinterlace support is working properly. Should hopefully fix these kind of issues.

VC-1 is supported by hw but not by mpp library, unclear if it will be added as it is a proprietary video format from Microsoft.

• Hardware mpeg2 decoding is using my experimental ffmpeg rkvpu hwaccel that does not check on errors from VPU, I will activate mpeg2/4 hw decoding from rkmpp decoder once deinterlace support is working properly. Should hopefully fix these kind of issues.

VC-1 is supported by hw but not by mpp library, unclear if it will be added as it is a proprietary video format from Microsoft.

Hi

These changes to add support for mpeg2/4 & h264 to ffmpeg for Rockchip can't perhaps help you, or you already know about it?

Not sure if it's for Android, Linux or both.

But maybe it's better to wait for a working mpp that also handles h265 together with all the other formats.

Commits · JamesLinEngineer/FFmpeg-RK · GitHub

• Kwiboo:

I have any Testfiles:

Tesfiles without HDR now Running:

Astra-SES_Demo_UHD_satellite_end-of-2015.mkv

Eutelsat.Demo.HEVC.ts

Hisense_Curved_4000R.mp4

Philips_UHD_supershopdemo_1.mp4

Not Running, the Screen is black:

ARTE_UltraHD_trailer_carnival.ts

Tesfiles with HDR now Running, but not HDR is activ:

Life_of_ Pi_draft_Ultra-HD_HDR.mp4

The World in HDR in 4K.mkv

Samsung Wonderland Demo.ts

Tesfiles with HDR and not Running (Stuttering and Audio drops)

LG Daylight 4K Demo.ts

Samsung Chasing The Light Demo.ts

• feedback for TRN9:

23,976fps:

-still audio drop outs with DTS, AC3 i have to test

-no more kodi issues, smooth handling now.

Edited 2 times, last by muya (June 7, 2018 at 6:41 PM).

• The black screen on boot issue is now resolved on the test build. From good things:

* DTS pass-through seems to be working fine with my Yamaha AVR.

* The overal UI and video playback seems to be more smooth (compared to the Raybuntu's release from couple of months back).

Next problem:

* Cannot add the Docker addon (no where to be found). I need to add other home services here (openHAB, syncthing)

* Also going into Addons > Browse Repositories > LibreELEC Repository gives some error and shortly after entire OS reboots

Edited once, last by zarusz (June 7, 2018 at 9:22 PM).

• These changes to add support for mpeg2/4 & h264 to ffmpeg for Rockchip can't perhaps help you, or you already know about it?

Thanks, we did some testing with mpeg2/4 using rkmpp some time back but there was some smaller issues at that time, been on hold since.

Not Running, the Screen is black:

ARTE_UltraHD_trailer_carnival.ts

Any link to where I can get hold of this sample?

Tesfiles with HDR and not Running (Stuttering and Audio drops)

LG Daylight 4K Demo.ts

Samsung Chasing The Light Demo.ts

Kodi / RK3328 is having issues with some/most 4K@60fps HDR files and will drop some frames, I will test these two samples and see if it can be improved. Also disable debug logging and do not have Kodi OSD showing for best video performance. Code to activate HDR on TV is still missing in Kodi.

23,976fps:

-still audio drop outs with DTS, AC3 i have to test

Do LPCM work without drop outs? pass-trough is still not complete, only works because TV/AVR is detecing the LPCM audio samples as NL-PCM.

Cannot add the Docker addon (no where to be found).

I just noticed that I was building this image with a custom ADDON_SERVER_URL, will use the default LibreELEC addon server url in next test image.

• Hmmm, thats strange. Considering that the Pine64 webpage advertises the Rock64 (with RK3328) as "64-bit 4K60P HDR Media Board Computer". Well it does not mention with what encoding, tho :D

Will do

Kwiboo

This video causes the device(trn9) to completely freeze and shutdown on both Android Kodi 18 and LibreELEC.

The World in HDR in 4K (ULTRA HD).MKV

I hope this is the correct link, I can't remember where it was downloaded from.

Video is 2.34 minutes long using the VP9 codec.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0bxj6tuym3nwjwhu5zjmzlufpofe

• Hi

Here are new images with the latest mpp deinterlacing support and high cpu usage/HEVC problem fixed I built with Kwiboo's changes.

Will try to make Rock64 and Ugoos dongle images later if needed.

I don't know if deinterlacing will work since Kwiboo uses ffmpeg for mpeg2 playback, maybe that needs to be disabled first?

I will do some tests later.

MVR9 - (With numbered ir remote, same used as in Rockbox RK3328)

MEGA

HPH NT-N9 - (With Orange/Red D-Pad ir-remote)

MEGA

• The cpu usage issue on latest mpp is fixed by this patch:

[mpp_dec]: Fix dead loop on output frame block

Thanks for this, I made new test builds with latest mpp at Index of /test/, I am still seeing some issue with opening hevc files, need to check what is going on (could be my kernel or ffmpeg patches that is at fault).

I don't know if deinterlacing will work since Kwiboo uses ffmpeg for mpeg2 playback, maybe that needs to be disabled first?

Yeah, the --enable-rkvpu ffmpeg flag needs to be removed to disable my experimental mpeg2 hwaccel, unclear if Kodi will select rkvpu hwaccel or rkmpp decoder if both are enabled.

does someone have a test file with LPCM, duration longer than 10 minutes?

As long as you disable PT in Kodi any file with AC3/DTS will be played with LPCM, just select 2.0/2.1/5.1/7.1 channels depending on what your TV/AVR supports. I use 7.1 channels even if I only have 3.1/5.1 speakers as my soundbar can do downmix if needed.

When activating HDR in in Kodi?

Thanks for video sample links. HDR will be activated as soon as possible (I want a good and stable ground before fancy features is enabled) ;)