Help With Krypton Fresh Install on Chromebox

• Hi all,

I apologize if this isn't the right forum but here it goes. I'm currently running Version 7 on an Asus Chromebox. When I go to upgrade to Krypton, every version of the tar file behaves similarly. It starts to download, gets about 20% complete, and then freezes and forces me to reboot. I'm told space might be the issue. If that's the case I was thinking about doing a fresh install. Before I do that, I was curious about a few things.

1. Can I back up my two profiles and their respective settings from Jarvis and have them carry over to Krypton?

2. Would I use the USB SD creator in order to create something to boot from?

3. I'm familiar with using the Chromebox automated script to put Libreelec on a stock Chromebox, but how would I boot from a USB drive with Libreelec already on it?

Thanks eveyone.

• You can backup Kodi data but if space is the issue causing download failures any process which creates an archive file of the current install will fail as the archive is initially created on the same (full) storage. So it's probably worth doing some spring cleaning before you update. Stop Kodi and nuke the contents of /storage/.kodi/temp and also remove add-on packages from /storage/.kodi/addons/packages .. and if you understand how to run the texturecache.py script from milhouse (found on Kodi forums) that can be used to prune thumbnails too.

Connect a USB drive and do a simple "cp -R /storage/.kodi /path/to/USB" (edit the path obviously) instead of making an archive backup. Then do the update to 8.2.4 and Kodi should auto-migrate settings from Jarvis to Krypton - but if something goes wrong you have a copy.

It's also worth updating the Chromebox firmware from MrChromebox.tech

• If the LibreELEC upgrade process continues to fail it would be worth posting a photograph of your TV so that we can see the errors - it shouldn't freeze or force you to reboot unless there's a hardware failure (run memtest86+ to test your RAM - two other users with similar upgrade errors had faulty DIMMs).

• Sorry for the dumb questions. I'm a Linux novice. When you are saying stop Kodi to do spring cleaning what do you mean exactly? Is that something I do as a command line function via SSH? Or do I literally open the files section and go through them deleting stuff?