Quick question about usb gigabit Ethernet adapters

• I would like to get a gigibit Ethernet USB adapter for my mecool m8s pro and have a few questions hopefully somebody can answer?;

-Would there be any benefit getting a usb 3.0 adapter when the box only supports usb 2.0?

-Will any cheap generic adapter work?

-Are they plug and play?

-What speed can be achieved through the usb 2.0 port while for example transferring a mkv file over the network from laptop to mecool box?

Thanks in advance!

• Most of the gigabit LAN adapters are USB 3.0 (cannot be gigabit on USB2.0)

I bought them around 10 USD

Yes, the ASIX AX88179 and the Realtek 8153 has driver in LE for sure

300-330 Mbps

• Not sure if anybody will see this now but I thought I’d try here before opening another thread...

I’ve ordered a u-green usb 3.0 gigabit adapter but my mecool m8s only has 2 USB ports and they are both being used by my external drives.

If I buy a usb hub could I connect that to my mecool and then connect both my drives to the hub and then the gigabit adapter straight into the mecool.

If the hub would work for my drives would kodi recognise them as two separate drives and would I still be able to add content from both of them to my library?

• Not sure if anybody will see this now but I thought I’d try here before opening another thread...

I’ve ordered a u-green usb 3.0 gigabit adapter but my mecool m8s only has 2 USB ports and they are both being used by my external drives.

If I buy a usb hub could I connect that to my mecool and then connect both my drives to the hub and then the gigabit adapter straight into the mecool.

If the hub would work for my drives would kodi recognise them as two separate drives and would I still be able to add content from both of them to my library?

Yes;) But I would recommend one with external power.

• Thanks for the replies, just one more question.. 2re you said to get a hub with external power, both my drives (wd mybook 4tb) have their own external power supply so would a powered hub still be necessary? -the less plugs/adapters etc the better 😅

• Thanks for the replies, just one more question.. 2re you said to get a hub with external power, both my drives (wd mybook 4tb) have their own external power supply so would a powered hub still be necessary? -the less plugs/adapters etc the better 😅

No, as long as all devices connected to the hub has its own power it wold be ok. Connecting dongles(mouse/keyboard etc.) will also be no problem ;)

ps. I'v got 9 of them connected withe 4 HUB's serial connected to another, and I have no problems ;)

ps.ps The first HUB has a powersupply, but with only one HUB you don't need one;)

Edited 3 times, last by 2re (March 25, 2018 at 1:20 PM).

• hi there

i have a problem with a mecool m8s pro+ where the ethernet at the back does not work anymore.. only have wifi and it is so so slow.

did you manage to find a usb to ethernet adapter that works..

if so can you tell me which one

thank youi

• Apologies if off-topic(ish)

I want to use my old unused htpc as nas/media server for my s905 & s912 boxes overn LAN.

Unfortunately my mobo is old and doesnt seem to support WOL. It does however resume from USB (mouse, keyboard or ir receiver).

With this in mind, if I purchased a USB lan adapter for htpc, will I be able to use resume then (ie wake up PC as WOL)?

Thanks