using VPN is Compulsory while streaming mvovies online?

• No. My understanding is, a VPN is used to disguise where you are in the world.

Some People using VPN's are possibly trying to stream pirated material,

Kodi, (Libreelec) is designed to stream/play media owned by you.

There is no support for illegal addons/streaming on this, or the Kodi forums.

• There is a legitimate case for using a VPN - if you have a server with your content in one location (e.g at home) and you wish to access that remotely when travelling. In that case you need a VPN service running where the server is located, perhaps in your home router, and then you'd need a VPN client within LibreELEC to access it. My preference in such a case is not to use LibreELEC, but to use my tablet running Kodi, and then also to run the OpenVPN client on my tablet.

As bubblegum57 indicates, if you wish to use a VPN to hide your location from others so that you can stream content that you are not legally entitled to, then you will not receive help in that regard.

• Piracy add-on websites profit from affiliate revenue on VPN sales from people who use their endless stream of bullsh1t guides and howto links, so nearly all of them contain some form of warning/advise text that recommends using a VPN.

• chewitt - I'm not sure if you were addressing me or the OP. To be honest, I have never looked into paid VPN sites, so that aspect was unknown to me. I only use OpenVPN for remote access to my legitimate files stored on my unRAID server as indicated, so no third-party sites are involved. I apologise if I appeared to be condoning the use of VPNs in any other context - that was definitely not my intention.

• From the Team Kodi side, it's detailed in our VPN policy - https://kodi.wiki/view/official:vpn_policy

The LibreElec stance isn't quite as restrictive as ours is, but is parallel with regard to the piracy and geoblocking aspect.

For the specific case of homebrew VPN back to your home network, it's assumed that if you're savvy enough to set the server up then you're savvy enough to set the client up as well, and issues tend to be with those (OpenVPN, Wireguard or whatever) and are often better directed at their support forums.