Changing from RPi 2/3 to RPi 3B+, FIRST upgrade to 8.2.4 (including NOOBS instructions)

• For those users with a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 who want to transfer their SD card to a new RPi 3B+ device,

please FIRST upgrade to LibreELEC 8.2.4, otherwise your new Raspberry toy will simply not boot properly.

Yours truly can confirm this user experience, the RPi 3B+ will need the latest firmware. :cool:

• There is be a problem if you are using NOOBS. Updating LibreELEC is not enough, you also have to update NOOBS before the SD card will boot in a RPi 3B+.

I've found instructions how to update NOOBS here Updating Raspbian on your microSD for the Raspberry Pi 2 – The Pi Hut and successfully tested this with a NOOBS 2.4 installation.

1. Download NOOBS LITE v2.7 (not the full version, the LITE one) from Download NOOBS for Raspberry Pi
    2. Extract the ZIP file and copy all files EXCEPT recovery.cmdline to the first partition of the SD card

You can either do this on your PC or with the following commands from within LibreELEC:

so long,

Hias

• One other issue I had moving an existing Libreelec sdcard installation from an RPi3 to an RPi3B+ was that I couldn't get the wifi to connect without following Chewitt's instructions from post #20 here:

Invalid argument

The error message was "Network Error Invalid Argument".

Cheers

• I maybe missing something, but when I upgrade to the new version with support for the B+, the B+ firmware is not present. Specifically the file bcm2710-rpi-3-b-plus.dtb that is present with the raspbian and milhouse updates are not present. Can anyone shed some light for me?

Thanks

Edited once, last by cabrio (March 25, 2018 at 6:59 AM).

• The dtb file forces some defaults; but if absent the firmware changes currently result in the same defaults, so its missing but not essential. There will be an 8.2.5 release to bump firmware in the near future (we found some issues, they are being resolved) and it can be included then.