Please allow LibreELEC server to share media and libraries

• Kodi allows a sharing media / libraries between devices by hosting the library in MySQL and using NFS to share media.

It would be great if LibreELEC could act as an NFS and MySQL server to allow it to act as a server for other LibreELEC installs.

We just need to add the MySQL server, and mysql command line client (for setup/debugging), and NFS server.

• No. The more 'junk' that is being put into the LibreELEC installer, the bigger the bloat will be on the overall installation. We like to keep LibreELEC as slim as possible. And really, not every Kodi user will use NFS server and MySQL by default. Plenty of them are happy using external USB storage, use UPnP or the already built-in SMB server.

You can use Docker for setting up your additional server demands, personally I would use a separate RPi3B+ box with Ubuntu Mate as a small server.

• We like to keep LibreELEC as slim as possible. And really, not every Kodi user will use NFS server and MySQL by default.

I still hope that at least an NFS server will make its way into LibreELEC. The "bloat" really is neglectable and there is also a political/philosophical dimension: Without Linux and Open Source there would not be a LibreELEC at all and so it is sad to see Linux users being treated as second class citizens :(

If being "slim" is really the top priority, then LibreELEC should drop support for ext4 and use NTFS for storage :)

(Yes, I know that at least user space nfsd is available as an addon...)

• there is also a political/philosophical dimension: Without Linux and Open Source there would not be a LibreELEC at all andso it is sad to see Linux users being treated as second class citizens

Like you said yourself in the vdr plugin thread: But fortunately we have the choice.

Indeed, and Team LibreELEC chooses not to add every little addon for reasons already outlined. Even if non-arguments and a lack of braincells are involved as the LE Team is being accused of treating certain people as second class citizens. I suggest you choose your next words on this forum very wisely.

• I still hope that at least an NFS server will make its way into LibreELEC. The "bloat" really is neglectable and there is also a political/philosophical dimension: Without Linux and Open Source there would not be a LibreELEC at all and so it is sad to see Linux users being treated as second class citizens :(

If being "slim" is really the top priority, then LibreELEC should drop support for ext4 and use NTFS for storage :)

(Yes, I know that at least user space nfsd is available as an addon...)

Feel free to make use of a open source project:

Fork A Repo - User Documentation

There are plenty of custom builds so if you need something that's not suitable for every user feel free to fork and add the stuff you need by yourself.

• I still hope that at least an NFS server

an build in kernel nfs server is tricky and we need some proper implementation (like out samba server) and basically nobody wants to touch the settings addon in its current form (messy)

But an userspace server is no problem at all, see CvH/LibreELEC.tv at 9.0-nfs-ganesha

currently not yet running, still prints some errors at the log that wasn't fixed yet - but basically it is working.