S905x support, what is needed?

• Lots of changes from Amlogic but I don't see that many improvements and there are still some old issues to fix.

That's why I don't rush it and want to fix things first.

thanx for the reply so the new build wouldnt work on s905x?

• Lots of changes from Amlogic but I don't see that many improvements and there are still some old issues to fix. :P

That's why I don't rush it and want to fix things first.

Build 005 has been excellent for me and can be used as a daily driver for the parents, I'm just hopeful the new kernel fixes or improves the ram issue so i can remove the cron job but otherwise i have very little issues.

Edited once, last by JonSnow (August 12, 2016 at 10:27 PM).

• I also bought a m8s 2 s905x TV Box just for testing (for the real deal i use my NUC boxes). I am not very happy with Android on it which has problems with surround sound and the remote control is lacking "stop" and "pause" and "info" keys for kodi and it is not even rooted to fix some issues yourself. Also it plays some wav files with a wrong speed.
    The big advantages of the box are price, size and silence.

I will happily replace the android os with libreelec when it is ready. Maybe it is possible to use a better remote then also like the Hama MCE or a logitech harmony.

I also read that libreelec 7.0.2.005 would already work on the m8s 2 - what are the drawbacks to use that release ?

• I will happily replace the android os with libreelec when it is ready. Maybe it is possible to use a better remote then also like the Hama MCE or a logitech harmony.

I also read that libreelec 7.0.2.005 would already work on the m8s 2 - what are the drawbacks to use that release ?

You can map some of the number keys on the remote to play/stop/pause on Libreelec.

I do not think that the kernel included in version 7.0.2.005 will boot on the S905X SoC.

• U-boot is not needed, this is handled by your manufacturer and my LE builds do not replace it. I guess it would be enough to provide an upadted kernel and you will probably see it in the next build. Also, I don't think that gxl is S905X, it's a slightly updated gxbb.

Hi,
    I got a crappy nexbox A95X (new one with S905X), there is not yet any official stock recovery, but there is one for similar model nexbox A5 (s905x too)
    Nexbox A5 Amlogic S905X 2G/16G TV Box Firmware 20160809 -
    So i downloaded it and extracted content with amlogic configtool.
    in the recovery partition, there is a /sbin/recovery elf, but it doesn't look for "aml_autoscript", just for factory_update_param.aml. Furthermore, it doesn't look for "updater-script" in the update zip package, just looks for "update-binary".
    I'm new to android tv stuff, so.... question: how does libreelec installation/runfromSD works usually? I suppose aml_autoscript and updater-script are 2 holes for the trick, correct?
    So, if missing, needs a look at uboot to see if there is some way to boot from sdcard instead of nand?
    In that fw package for A5, in extracted dir there are aml_sdc_burn.UBOOT and UBOOT.USB, but, aside the fact that ascii inside recalls of it being aes encrypted, what are them? Are them uboot updates or are them alternate uboots, that gets runs instead of the uboot already in nand? Is there another bootloader prior of uboot that choose which uboot jmp to?

Maybe it's time for me to hook uart and have a talk to uboot.

• I would really want to install openelec on my m8s-II too. I'll be following up on this thread. Please let us know how it goes if you ever give it a try.

Edited once, last by kszaq (August 14, 2016 at 10:21 AM).

• Just got myself an A95x (S905X, 2/8) and I was wondering if there is anything I can help you with to get LE tested and running on that box. I have started digging a little bit to get roughly familiar with the hardware and how the boot process works in general.

So far I got the S905 TWRP patched up (used kernel from the stock recovery partition, fixed usb modules) so it boots on the S905X and hooked up a serial adapter so I get into u-boot and can get you full boot logs, segfaults, kernel panics - whatever helps. Some pictures: xD5Ko9

So if you need some remote debugging, let me know. I would like to help out.

Cheers!
    Paul.

Edited once, last by pulsar (August 19, 2016 at 1:01 AM).

• I will post a new build this week with updated kernel that should run on S905X. I will then ask for testing as I don't have a S905X device. [emoji6]