Posts by pulsar

koenkooi

Pretty much identical to the installation instructions included in the s905 release / announcement thread. Extract the contents of the .zip file onto a SD, reboot with the recovery button pressed. I did not have to do the second pass, so it was ready after that.

Edit: please note, that I have also uploaded the TWRP recovery image, Works great to switch between LE builds and "stock" andorid (via backup / restore)

No, eMMC is chip on the board that is hooked up to the second MMC controller on the SoC. The 'e' stands for 'embedded'. Have a look at dmesg:

The microSD card in the slot is 4GB, the eMMC 8GB. I suspect /dev/system and /dev/data are android-isms that are just link to paritition 13 and 14 on the emmc.

Of course both the microSD card and eMMC are created using NAND flash, but in general saying 'NAND flash' means using it without a translation layer through /dev/mtd*

I am fighting NAND flash on a different board today and wondered if I needed go through the same frustrating experience with the s905x box :/

EDIT: dmesg with linebreaks

Ah, makes sense now. eMMC then

Just installed my build on my A95X's NAND flash - working great. Did also test power off and power on via IR remote control, no issues here. So it appears to be safe (at least on the A95X) to install that build on the NAND flash.
    [hr]
    kszaq

LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20160825131726-r23297-g5b935ef from SD is working fine on A95X / S905X

For the brave ones who want to try installing my builds onto the NAND, this might come handy: http://www.memoryleaks.org/libreelec.tv/twrp/

Please be aware, that this TWRP recovery image is rather hacked together (LibreELEC). I have tested the backup feature which seems to produce correct archives but I did not actually try to restore such a backup. It could potentially have issues due to SELinux-Foo. Unlikely, but possible.

Edit: just tested backup & recovery on my A95X, works fine.

... and here it is:

http://www.memoryleaks.org/libreelec.tv/s905x/

thanks kszaq & koenkooi

Lets hope kszaq comes up with an idea how to use the same set of build options / patches etc for S905 and S905X. Diff against the "official" 006 branch: eUib - so there are mainly some additions and serial console changes to the linux kernel. Other changes are either cosmetics or not relevant for non-debug releases.

Please note that this is an experimental build and not well tested.

would creating a projects/S905x folder in LE make sense for the time being? That would give us seperate kernel configs, among other things. But since that's basically the only difference, I'm not 100% convinced it's a good idea.

This is what I did locally. And yes, I do also think this is a bad idea as it does contain lots of duplicated code / patches and config files.

Got USB working now:

Findings and changes in a nutshell:

• console=ttyAMA0 has to be used as default kernel command string. Tried to override that via platform_init and aml_autoscript with no luck. When using ttyS0 here, the kernel will stop booting up bailing out an error about ttyS0 not being available. Compiling PL011 into the kernel will give us a ttyS0 later on so the debug-console can be bound to that but it wont work to boot the kernel as the console parameter. Odd. I guess a build working for both S905 variants could be achieved when serial console is disabled entirely. This might be fine for "stable" releases but is a bit PITA for dev releases.
    • USB needs needs updated kernel configuration: <*> xHCI, <*> EHCI, <*> OHCI, <M> DesignWare USB3 DRD Core Support -> Host Only (see diff)
    • Wired Network does not work when compiled as a module
    • My previous skin and service issues were solved by moving the build host to a ubuntu machine. (Arch or zsh incompatibility, did not dig any deeper)
    • Perliminary video playback tests look fine. 4k@60hz won't work (black screen with audio), 4k@30hz works fine, 1080p content seemed also fine.
    • Using updated libamplayer library and serial-debug console as suggested by kszaq (aml 2016-08-18-builroot via surkovalex). OpenGL/ES libs were not updated in the 2016-08-18 buildroot (judging by the version name). Did not bother to update them.

As soon I finished the clean build I will post an update with the usual release files for download.
    diff: eUib

Thanks for getting back,

Serial port ttyS0 is serial console and this is a parameter passed by bootloader. Kernel tells to run console on tty0 which is screen. I don't think there's ttyAMA0 on Amlogic. If you want to have system console on serial port, you need to add a service: serial-debug.service

Apparently the S905X uses AMBA PL011. I will try take another shot at the kernel configuration here and add that as a service if needed.

To make Ethernet work you can try unsetting CONFIG_AM_PHY and changing CONFIG_AMLOGIC_PHY to "y" from "m" in kernel config.

I have used your linux.aarch64.conf and it was already set to comple as a module.

I only run PROJECT=S905 ARCH=aarch64 make amlpkg. No issues here in building from scratch.

Same here, I suspect some distribution / host quirks. Running Arch on my work laptop. Perhaps running something more common like ubuntu might be a better idea here.

I have also started digging into the buildroot image yesterday. Not working Video-Playback might be also related to the libamcodec/libamplayer library. I noticed that LE uses the WeTek sources while the buildroot environment brings theirown libplayer. At least updating the binary blobs might be worth a shot.

Again, than you for your time.

Made some progress and got LE compiled from git sources and booting.

To get the current 006 branch running one will need to change the serial port to from ttyS0 to ttyAMA0, I did that in the LE S905 project kernel config (CONFIG_CMDLINE). Perhaps it would be sufficient to do that change in initramfs/platform_init -> cmdline

This LE build is far for being usable though, so far I have identified following issues:

• USB still does not work (kernel and/or ramdisk issue)
    • Serial Console is "read-only", I presume LE does not know about ttyAMA0 and thus wont start a shell here. (root-fs and/or ramdisk)
    • Wired Network does not work (DHCP or fixed IP). Cable / media sensing works though. (kernel, PHY driver?)
    • Graphical glitches, backgrounds are not cleared / filled, buttons are missing. (qurky build-system / broken default theme maybe? gles impl incompatible? rapier theme works for instance.)
    • WiFi seems ok but SAMBA and NFS won't work
    • Video Playback (bbb_sunflower_2160p_60fps_normal, from SD) does not work and gives you audio with a black screen (opengl-es implementation not compatible? using gxbb, not aware of gxl specific impl?).

If anyone wants to give it a try, I have uploaded the SD card image over here: LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-s905x-7.0.2.006.img.xz - Right now there is very little reason to do so though.

I will do some more experiments and report back in this thread if my spare time allows it. I am open for any ideas!

kszaq - can you post some details about your build-environment / steps? Had some trouble with compiling gcc and I do really wonder why the default confluence theme has issues. Could be quirky build system or opengl impelentation. Where does "opengl-meson-gxbb-r6p1" come from?

had also a quick look (booting from SD) and can confirm koenkooi issues.

I have also noticed the ramdisk.cpio.gz not to be a gzip file but an lzop compressed one. No idea if this irrelevant or might matter. I didnt see the init process being started in koenkooi's logs. Will do some more digging if I manage to get the buildroot / LE crosscompiler-foo working.

USB not working indicates dwc3 module not being loaded. In the recovery images I "disassembled" it was done via init / init.amlogic.usb.rc IIRC. Could not verify this assumption as the serial console is disabled in the current kernel.

Just got myself an A95x (S905X, 2/8) and I was wondering if there is anything I can help you with to get LE tested and running on that box. I have started digging a little bit to get roughly familiar with the hardware and how the boot process works in general.

So far I got the S905 TWRP patched up (used kernel from the stock recovery partition, fixed usb modules) so it boots on the S905X and hooked up a serial adapter so I get into u-boot and can get you full boot logs, segfaults, kernel panics - whatever helps. Some pictures: xD5Ko9

So if you need some remote debugging, let me know. I would like to help out.

Cheers!
    Paul.