Intel UHD 630 graphics support?

• Hi All. I’ve just put together a new HTPC using the following CPU\MB combination:

Core i5 8400 (with UHD 630 graphics)

ASROCK Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX

I’ve tried 8.2.3 and the latest Milhouse build but the Coffee Lake graphics do not appear to be supported (xorg fails to start). Does anyone know a build that will support the above configuration or is it back to Win10? Thanks.

• I have the same issue with a new Gemini Lake board (Asrock J4105 with UHD 600 graphics), and the response I've got (see hardware section) was to run a LE9 alpha build from Milhouse. This kind of works, but has some issues. If you can live with them, then for a stand-alone client (no shared mysql database) it might be worth to try...

• There will be an 8.2.4 release in the future but there is no way we will contemplate a major kernel bump to support new Intel hardware (esp. with Intel drivers being oh-so-reliable) in a long-released branch. LE9 dev builds are the only option.

• Many thanks for the replies - I have to confess I didn’t expect support would be quite so far in the future. I suppose I have two options: stick with Win10 or add a supported graphics card (which would have to low power and passively cooled).

I would be most grateful for any graphics card suggestions.

• wow... 2019 :huh:

that's kind of shocking. i didn't expect this as well, i.e. as the apollo lake graphics did work immediately in LE8.

lokks like I picked the wrong board :(

• Historically we have used a common kernel for all pi and x86 things but the team is currently split between the desire to use an LTS kernel which benefits pi hardware (a huge portion of our userbase) and to track mainline which would benefit new x86 hardware. There are benefits (and cons) to both. I personally hope we end up using LTS (4.14) for pi hardware and track mainline kernels with x86 stuff - the current 8.2 release has pi on 4.9 while x86 is on 4.11 so there is a precedent, although it's not been without issue.

• Official Post

A year isn't too long to wait on the Linux route. It always takes a while for the drivers to become available (and working). Even Ubuntu 18.04 is "just" a possibility for coffee lake. So 2019 isn't that far away.

I was going down the i3-8100 or J4105 route also, so I can understand the frustration.

• Looking around, this seems to work on Ubuntu 16.04 - not too sure if possible on LE. From Here

• Step 1 - Copy & Paste the following: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.alpha_support=1"
    • Step 2 - Open Terminal - Ctrl + Alt + T
    • Step 3 - Edit your Grub file! - sudo gedit /etc/defaults/grub
    • Step 4 - Find GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" AND REPLACE with what you Copied from Step 1.
    • Step 5 - Save the grub file
    • Step 6 - Update Grub! - sudo update-grub
  • Getting the graphics version recognised would be a big step forward. However, is there a version of LE that handles HDR10 correctly and forwards the required flags to the display? If not, there's little point in taking things forward when there are more established solutions around.

Edited once, last by MadScientist (April 2, 2018 at 9:15 PM).

• Getting the graphics version recognised would be a big step forward. However, is there a version of LE that handles HDR10 correctly and forwards the required flags to the display? If not, there's little point in taking things forward when there are more established solutions around.

If you want HDR10 support under Linux, you are currently pretty much limited to ARM solutions.

The AMLogic S912 and S905X both support HDR10 flagging and up-to 2160/60p HEVC decode and output.

For x86 HDR, at the moment you are stuck with Windows, and it's not as straightforward.

At the moment I've not seen anything that flags HLG HDR output over HDMI, though hopefully as HLG takes off this will change.

The BBC iPlayer is doing a number of 2160/50p HLG HDR shows this year I believe, and have already shown Blue Planet II and a minor live Rugby League match (as a quiet test) this year.