Advice on AMlogic "TV stick/dongle" hardware

• You do not need any glue of clips, just wiggle the heatsink on to the thermal paste to smooth out any air bubbles.

The dirt cheap heatsinks usually weigh sweet F.A.

Pushing down too hard on the heatsink runs the risk of Silver, conductive paste spilling over on to adjacent electrical components and frying something when power is applied.

Then I usually run the box for a while and then unplug power over night and the paste cures.

• Nah, the whole idea of using the box is ... to enjoy the fanless silence, I dont like the idea of putting a fan. Though I can dry to box. Adding superglue to my CPU, so it wont be a "next time" replacing thermal paste, I guess...

For now I just plan to put some kryonaut grizzly and use the old sink, but no usb fans, unless there is something really, really quite but I doubt it.

Did you mod your boxes in that way, if yes, what fans are you using?

• Heavily modified TTC-CUV2AB/RHS(DIY)

I am not using the fan, which comes in the kit, but a smaller heatsink+fan (5V), which fits entirely in the Titan copper heatsink. Costs less than 2 euro.

It's even more effective than TTC kit. And much more silent. ;)

Note that this won't fit neatly inside the H96Pro+ (Alfawise) box (worst thermal designed chinese crap I've seen)...

• Hi guys,

started to mod my box, drilled some holes on the top and the bottom.

No difference (as I expected) - still idle at 55-61 C in LibreELEC and 70-75 C during playback and 80 during library update.

It requires a good thermal paste at least + a nice heatsink and a fan for optimum result.

I really hope that with the kryonaut grizzly I will get at least 5 C down :)

• You do not need any glue of clips, just wiggle the heatsink on to the thermal paste to smooth out any air bubbles.

Pushing down too hard on the heatsink runs the risk of Silver, conductive paste spilling over on to adjacent electrical components and frying something when power is applied.

Then I usually run the box for a while and then unplug power over night and the paste cures.

Gee, made me revisit urban dictionary re "sweet F.A. "got it now :)

• Heavily modified TTC-CUV2AB/RHS(DIY)

I am not using the fan, which comes in the kit, but a smaller heatsink+fan (5V), which fits entirely in the Titan copper heatsink. Costs less than 2 euro.

It's even more effective than TTC kit. And much more silent. ;)

Note that this won't fit neatly inside the H96Pro+ (Alfawise) box (worst thermal designed chinese crap I've seen)...

Did you solder the fan to one of the USBs or use directly USB? There is a 3 pin connector on the board, looks like cpu fan?

• It's seems like this thread is hijacked... :D

Looks like CPU fan connector, but it didn't do me any good, powering my type of fans, so - power feed to the fan has been soldered on USB port pins at the breadboard. :)

• Yep, sorry bout that, last post - I discovered that the 3 pin on the board apparently provide 3V, that`s why it cannot power up a 5V fan. So let`s see. Soldering to USB or USB direct is the decision.

Now back to the original thread, how about cooling the stick? :))) Does not look so easy.

I have succesfully applied some Kryonaut thermal grizzly to the S912 SoC and inserted again the stock heatsink. Yoi may or may not believe it, but the stock "solution" was rather a simple thermal pad... haha, that`s a joke.

So I stitched back the stock heatsink and you were right, this thing weighs nothing, it stuck perfectly. Now immediate switch on - I would say I can see some improvement probably with 1-5 Celsius.

Running/playback ~58-61 Celsius - update library up to 70... I ran it for a while, now it`s switched off, hope that after the paste cures I will get even better drops. If not I have to look for a bigger heatsink, but even and 60-70 Celsius - I believe it`s still okay, isn`t it?

In Android it went up to 97 Celsius before the mod :) Just using LibreELEC drops by 10-15 Celsius.

• So as you can imagine, I was not happy with the temp drop the grizzly thermal paste gave me with the stock heatsink.

So I did this:

Aaand that`s better. 45-50 idle. 50-61 max 65 playback. I used a copper plate on the main S912 chip, another copper plate on one smaller chip and the heatsink for 2 other chips.

Think this is the best I can go without adding overseized heatsinks and still be able to close the box.

I just pray that over night the paste will harden, cause now... the copper just weighs more :)

• So what?

H96Pro+ nominal operation position by design is NOT like many other "karate" S905/S905X boxes - processor hangs upside down... :)

In other words - "'eavy's good, 'eavy is reliable." here. :D

• Ok, cool.

I have some Noctua NT-H1 lying around here.

Would that be good to apply?

Btw what temps did you have before and after you applied the paste?

At the moment I'm running a x265 file (1080p) from USB stick and I'm around 46 Celcius (without applying new paste).

wrxtasy

Could you please let me know?

• Most heatsinks look like they are just fixed on with some sort of Silicon which makes for pretty bad heat transfer.

My Rock64 came with a Heat Sink for PINE A64 Using 3M 8810 Thermal Conductive Advise tape for effective heat transfer
    I've seen the Temp at 75c at one point which is something I'm not used to seeing in my TX7.

I did get a freeze just before checking on reboot.

I haven't installed the heat sink yet but ask if anyone has used a heat sink with 3M tape before.?

• My Rock64 came with a Heat Sink for PINE A64 Using 3M 8810 Thermal Conductive Advise tape for effective heat transfer
    I've seen the Temp at 75c at one point which is something I'm not used to seeing in my TX7.

I did get a freeze just before checking on reboot.

I haven't installed the heat sink yet but ask if anyone has used a heat sink with 3M tape before.?

I have the ROCK64 board for over a month. I installed the heat sink (with conductive tape) that came with the board. Even with the tiny heat sink installed, the temperature is still very high (up to or exceed 70c), which is unusual when compare with other S905x TV box. I cut a square hole on the chassis (it fits perfectly with Raspberry Pi), hope to help lowering the temperature. Right now, it is used as TVH server and so far so good (no hang, no freeze). Guess temperature would go much higher if playback mainly uses software decoding. I planned to change to a bigger heat sink and employ thermal conductive paste but have not set a time yet.

• I installed the heat sink (with conductive tape) that came with the board. Even with the tiny heat sink installed, the temperature is still very high (up to or exceed 70c), which is unusual when compare with other S905x TV box. I cut a square hole on the chassis (it fits perfectly with Raspberry Pi), hope to help lowering the temperature.

I use the ROCK64 ACRYLIC OPEN ENCLOSURE

I've just installed the heat sink and the temperature's have dramatically dropped.

Before installing i browsed through my movie library at insane pace to see the temp go to 80c.

What i saw was a slow decrease in temp when i stopped.

When the heat sink was installed i repeated the library scrolling and could not get past a momentary 70c spike followed by a rapid decline to low 60c. Playback stays high 50c to low 60c. The heat sink is a must have. Really fast cooling after stress testing. Instant decline in temp.

and I use this for the GPU:

I get nothing in terminal for GPU on my rock64 ?? Not sure why.

The CPU ssh command works. Thanks for these great tips. :)