Update from OE 6.0.3 > LE 8.2.x

• Hi all!

I have finally made the decision (and found time! :D) to switch from 'good-old' OpenElec (6.0.3) to latest official LibreElec, whoa! ;)

I have read and understood from forum / wiki posts, that the switch should be doable just by placing the appropriate .tar package to the OE's 'update' folder > boot > wait > done :)

However, I have a few questions in mind:

1. My current boot partition size is 254 MB (checked with parted -l), is it big enough for LE 8.2.x?
    2. My current Skin is Artic: Zephyr (with Kodi Krypton support). Upon update to LE the Skin also automatically updates?
    3. I have modified versions of mediasources.xml, sources.xml and wakeonlan.xml > in general, those are also supported in LE?
    4. As I have OE running in NON-Windows OS, am I expecting to have hassle with the SMB / my working NAS mounts?
    5. For the database files (Mymusic, Myvideos) there are several files of those in the 'Database' directory. Should I rename the old ones and just leave the latest .db ones prior starting the update process?

Thx in advance!

//Timo

Edited 2 times, last by tjsuominen (January 18, 2018 at 7:59 AM).

• My current boot partition size is 254 MB (checked with parted -l), is it big enough for LE 8.2.x?

afaik yes ? but do an backup, copy it off the box, then try an update

worst case you have to reinstall OE6x and import the backup again (OE has no protection against those kind of operations, LE offer that)

Upon update to LE the Skin also automatically updates?

yes, try to set it to the default skin before update to prevent problems (skin updates after first launch)

have modified versions of mediasources.xml, sources.xml and wakeonlan.xml > in general, those are also supported in LE?

yes, same as in OE

As I have OE running in NON-Windows OS, am I expecting to have hassle with the SMB / my working NAS mounts?

you may have to change some settings at the LE settings addon, depending if your NAS uses only the horrible outdated SMB1 or not - everything is possible but might need some setting changes (depends at versions you use)

Should I rename the old ones

just do nothing and it works

• Welcome to the other side :)

1) Nope. The size of the system partition has been increased over the years, so a full fresh installation is very much recommended. (Or you can resize the system partition manually with tools like PQmagic, if you think you can manage that)

i use a 1024mb size since all the talks about what the system partition size should be...

2) I don't know all skins that are Kodi 17 "proof", but with a fresh install you will need to install it separately anyway.

3) Basically, yes. Having a good backup is always handy.

4) LibreELEC has recently stopped using SMBv1 by default and starts with SMBv2 and up. You can still force SMBv1 support via a setting. However... In light of the worldwide WannaCry attack, you are very much encouraged to keep your network save, and set your devices/server(s) equally to SMBv2 and up.

5) You should only rename the old databases if you do NOT want to have Kodi 17 upgrade them, and want to start totally fresh. Otherwise, let Kodi do its thing (it may take some time). The old databases will not be changed and not be removed.

just do nothing and it works

If only everything was that simple :P

• Thx for replies CvH and Klojum.

1. As far as I have understood, the 254 MB boot partition should be enough. Can you chewitt confirm?

2. Isn't "default" Skin the one that is currently in use in OE? If not, what do you mean CvH ?

4. Checked from my NAS (LinkStation Mini; WS-WXL), seems that if I do not perform some tricky ssh / config for my NAS, I need to keep SMB V1 enabled in Kodi... Let's see, this is the trickiest part of all...

Thx for your great support!

• Thx chewitt - I'll take that with grin of salt ;)

2. Any comments on setting "default" Skin?

4. I'll try enabling SMB V1 in LE/Kodi, if that fails, then I need to roll-up my sleeves for my NAS

Update process is expected to launch in coming weeks (after I have collected enough courage :S)

Thx for you kind help!

• Hi,

Just wanted to pop-in to say THANK YOU and everything (updating from OE 6.0.3 > LE 8.x) went smoothly as hell.

1. Extended my /flash partition with Gparted live to ~900 Mb

2. Booted back to OE and checked everything works (and it did ;))

3. Changed to default Skin in OE

4. Downloaded the OE > LE update package and placed that to /.updates -folder

5. Re-booted OE and let the transfer begin...

6. No hick-ups >

7. Changed my Skin to Arctic:Zephyr

Everything completed in less than 40 mins

Next update to LE 9.x with Kodi Leia and the "game" interface ;)

//Timo

Edited once, last by tjsuominen (March 31, 2018 at 4:47 PM).