RPi2 usb hdd not working.

• Hello!
    I have a problem with my WD My Passport Ultra, RPi2 and LibreELEC. It's a usb 3.0 drive that does not use external power(maybe drawing too much from the RPi2? But it lights up and i use 2.5A power which i have read should be enough)
    I can't find it when it's plugged in. I am using extfat and it shows on windows.
    Any ideas?

Edited once, last by snyft (July 24, 2016 at 11:17 AM).

• USB 2.0 ports have a 0.5 amps output by design, so depending on your external drive, this could be an issue. If you see an occasional coloured square in the top right corner of your screen, then you know the RPi is having power problems. External power is very much preferred though.

As far as the attached drive goes, connect it to your RPi and reboot. Get us the outcome from the following commands via SSH:

Code
    blkid | pastebinit
    mount | pastebinit
  • Do you have

Code
    max_usb_current=1

in your config.txt?

Without that the pi 2 will only supply 600mA over usb.
    With it it's 1200mA (power supply permitting).

Edited once, last by trogggy (July 24, 2016 at 11:52 AM).

• Official Post

On a normal HTPC you get only what those USBs have. I don´t know any way how it might be possible to change the ampere at a normal PC. The RPi is different in that case as it´s a 'tool' for developers in the first glance. Thankfullly it´s very good to run LibreELEC (for example) on it. But regarding to that (that it´s for developers normally) it needs to be very flexible.

Maybe there is some way to change the ampere for USBs for a normal PC, but 1. I don´t know it and 2. I doubt it ;)