Better alternative for RasPi3b for LibreELEC - ODROID-C2?

• Hi all,

not exactly related to development of LibreELEC itself, but sort of... So I am extremely happy user of Libre with RasPi3 since like beginning of the year, but unfortunately it is not flawless experience.

I usually have problems with playback of buffering 1080p videos with some Kodi plugins. Googled a bit and everyone say same thing - RasPi3 is not a perfect device for media center /shrug

So, I started googling to find a better device so I could still remain happy user of LibreELEC. So far I am with selecting ODROID-C2 as a new base, but is it really best choice?

I would like also to stay under 80$ budget if possible.

Can you guys recommend something?

• I usually have problems with playback of buffering 1080p videos with some Kodi plugins. Googled a bit and everyone say same thing - RasPi3 is not a perfect device for media center /shrug

rapberry is a perfect media center device - 1080p videos are playing well

Buffering issues -> check network etc.

• Hi,

it is not about buffering. Problem lays within displaying partially loaded materials.

But, my question was different - anything better to recommend than odroid-c2?

• But, my question was different - anything better to recommend than odroid-c2?

It depends :)

S905x Boxes are cheap and need a little DIY

What do You want to do ?

Playing 1080p video from HDD, USB or NAS ?

Want to watch live tv or stream(netflix, amazon) ?

I´m only playing music(mp3, flac, dsd) and videos(720p, 1080p and UHD) from NAS using s905x box

Also own raspberry pi3 - not longer using the PI for watching video because I converted all my videos to HEVC(h.265)

raspberry PI -> x.265 software decoder :(

s905x box -> x.265 hardware decoder :)

• There is really no reason to go for RPI these days considering how cheap the S905X boxes are and they do a LOT more than RPI ever will.

So buy a S905X box from Ebay for 8€ and call it a day!

I was also at same point a while back, then I first stumbled upon ODroid aswell but finally found out about S905X platform, they did cost a bit more back then, like 30-40€ but they are a steal these days.

• From a AML LE developer, Kodi testing perspective:

The ODROID C2 with eMMC flash storage and Gigabit Ethernet is the fastest non HDR S905 device I have seen, because you can give it a slight tickle and overclock it. Quality internal Hardware components from Hardkernel as well. Cases are a bit shabby, but you can hide the box behind the TV or in a cabinet and use with a Wireless remote anyway.

This is my daily driver / Mini PVR LE device because I have a non HDR 10bit 4K TV.

C2 has the best HDMI-CEC of all the AML S9xx LE devices, because of custom AML LE developer work it has had done to it.

Really reliable setup.

Something like a 83,95 € C2 Kit from http://www.pollin.de is all you need for LE unless you have a massive video library.

A eMMC to MicroSD adapter is needed as well when purchasing Hardkernel eMMC flash modules.

The non HDR S905 MINIX U1 is also another quality piece of Kit. Excellent Wireless A2 remote.

The 4K HDR MINIX U9 with its S912 and Gigabit Ethernet is the fastest S912 LE setup I've tested. Quality, properly engineered hardware. Only thing that lets it down is the new A3 MINIX wireless voice remote that has a minor issue with mini delays waking from its sleep function. The older MINIX A2 lite remote has no such issues, its one of my favourite remotes and its batteries last for a good 6 months or more of demanding use.

There is very little speed wise between these two devices when LibreELEC is running from eMMC flash storage using a Wireless remote.

9 second ODROID C2 LE booting from eMMC is the quickest I've seen.

I do not use WiFi for LE use at all. Everything is hardwired for superior LE Kodi responsiveness and reliability.

RPi3 was old, slower hardware when it was first released with a bunch of carry over limitations from the RPi2.

It has been optimised impressively as far as it will go. RPi's have a modern Linux Kernel compared to AMLogic devices if you need comprehensive external USB connectivity to work out of the box with virtually everything.

• There is really no reason to go for RPI these days considering how cheap the S905X boxes are and they do a LOT more than RPI ever will.

So buy a S905X box from Ebay for 8€ and call it a day!

I was also at same point a while back, then I first stumbled upon ODroid aswell but finally found out about S905X platform, they did cost a bit more back then, like 30-40€ but they are a steal these days.

Where in eBay is it possible to buy a s905x bBox? do you have any model Name?

• What about LePotato S905X ? (C2 out of stock and no HDR support)

LePotato seem support all formats H264/H265 HDR and 4k but 1 or 2GB memory for only read movie from network ?
    4k hdr and h265 can use more than 1GB memory ?

Thank you

• I ll take that Rpi3 if you don't need it :)

If you r having buffering on 1080p videos don't blame your rpi...but blame whatever plugins you'r using..

I think the Rpi is a good choice for a media player and I blame buffering mostly on slow sources feeding the Rpi either on local network or plugins you use..

If you think it's too slow check your sd card or overclock/cooling or better still run Libreelec from HDD or SSD..

• RPi2/3 was good for 1080p and h264 but I can trash them in a short time because not support h265 hw decoding and 4k/HDR.
    I want something capable of hw decode H265 and support 4k/HDR. LePotato seem the best/cheaper device for this usage no ? :)

If you speak about my problem of pvr on the rpi3, it's not the plugin or sdcard but only the wireless. No 5ghz embedded on the rpi3 and too far from the AP so it's almost good but a little too slow. Sound cut some ms each 10/15s. Buffering is the best thing even for good connection/storage, the movie is delayed from some seconds but solve all I/O problems (storage or link without put QoS on your shared link).