Posts by mrhk13

vpeter it is this one:
    Amazon.com: 5 inch 800480 Resistive Touch Screen HDMI interface custom Raspbian LCD mini PC Supports Raspberry Pi 3 2 1 Model B B+ A+ & BeagleBone Black & Banana Pi / Banana Pro @XYG: Computers & Accessories

It shows up as "d-wav scientific co. ltd" in lsusb. dmesg also sees it "New USB device found, idVendor=0eef, idProduct=0005". A google search suggests it is a eGalax touchscreen.

Great news on the addon, I look forward to it!

Maybe I missed something but which touchscreen exactly are you using?

Btw: I send addon to libreelec repository and it will be available soon.

vpeter - still tinkering. Started with a new fresh version of 7.90.007 and installed tslib and estouchy as you suggested in post #59. The touchscreen doesn't seem to be recognised: evtest doesn't run unless I specify a device and in /dev/input there are no files called event* - the only file I see is mice. So I presume I need to activate the touchscreen using some setting somewhere? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Tried something else: fresh install of 7.90.007, set up wireless. Shutdown and reboot: get dmesg.

Change audio output to 'analogue' option - system keeps running dmesg is unchanged.

Next change audio output to 'alsa-hifiberry' - screen goes blank but system is still running. dmesg is still unchanged. tvservice -s doesn't give a response. It seems that somehow, changing audio output to alsa-hifiberry affects the screen but it is not reflected in dmesg. What other log can I use to see what happens?

Thanks!

Interim update: I have a working kodi/libreelec 7.02 on the exact same system:
    tvservice -s
    state0x120006 [DVI DMT (87) RGB full 15:9], 800x480 @ 59.00Hz, progressive

vcgencmd get_throttled
    throttled=0x0

dmesg is here: [ 0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0 [ 0.000000] Initializing cg - Pastebin.com

And it plays music!

For what it's worth, I edit config.txt with the following to enable the hifiberry and the screen:
    dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
    dtdebug=1
    and
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=1
    hdmi_mode=87
    hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0
    hdmi_drive=1
    gpu_mem=256

Thanks popcornmix - I'll try and tinker over the weekend. Essentially start with minimal components and slowly build it up.

The power supply is a 5V 4A wallwart that I split between the RPi and the USB hub. The screen and HDD are connected to the hub.

What's odd is that it all works on 7.02. And it seems to work fine in 7.90.007 - until I select the hifiberry as output. At that point I lose the screen but Kodi is still up and running. Actually, I've never checked to see if I can play music (using the remote control app). I'll have to do that, too. If it plays, it suggests somewhere, somehow, the hdmi connect or screen setting is messed up, but the rest is running.

Okay - I started with a clean 7.90.007 install on a SD card and went through the motions.

I first tried tvservice -s: it killed my ssh session. Nothing appears, no output, and hitting return or typing appears on the computer where I run the ssh from, but no response from the RPi. Nothing changes on the screen connected to RPi either. After a few minutes, still nothing so I quit ssh and started another session.

The output of dmesg is here: [ 0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0 [ 0.000000] Linux version 4 - Pastebin.com

And then I try vcgencmd get_throttled, like tvservice -s, I get nothing, no response, and a dead ssh session.

With another ssh session, I could do tvservice -o and the screen slowly went dark. tvservice -p again gave me no response and a dead ssh session.

Not sure if that's helpful at all!

After the screen has faded through ssh can you report output of:
    vcgencmd get_throttled
    tvservice -s
    dmesg

vpeter - I did some more experimenting. Starting with a clean install of 7.90.007 the screen works fine, but as soon as I change audio output to ALSA/hifiberry the screen goes white. Remote app no longer works, but ssh and samba do work at least for a while. After a hard reset the screen worked again but the audio out had been changed. Selecting ALSA/hifiberry again, the screen went white again...

I have a 5" touchscreen I'm trying to get to work. I initially had 7.02 running on RPi 1, without touchscreen support. To get that to work I followed another thread. It required going to Krypton so I upgraded to v7.90.007: the screen would work during boot (splashscreen) but then fade to white. It had worked on 7.02 and happened on a PC monitor as well, so it's not the cable/screen.

Next I installed v7.90.007 clean. I changed config.txt to include the hifiberry overlay. It booted fine and the screen worked. I set up wifi and adjusted some other settings: still working great. I rebooted: still doing fine. Next I selected the ALSA/hifiberry DAC: as soon as I did, the screen faded to white again. Remote control (official iPhone app) is unresponsive, but I can ssh and samba in.

Actually - the ssh and samba connections seemed to have died after a while. I then did a hard reset and it rebooted. The screen was working again, but the audio out had been changed. Setting it back to hifiberry, the screen went white again.

Any ideas?

v7.90.007
    RPi 1 B
    Amazon USB hub
    3.5" HDD
    Hifiberry DAC
    5" HDMI interface screen (see here; it shows up as D_WAV Scientific Co., Ltd on lsusb - HDMI for signal, USB for power and touch signals)

EDIT: found kodi.log through samba - see here. Last message is to do with being unable to load skin settings.

Hi vpeter

No luck. I copied the two files into the directory - that didn't change anything. I don't think it is to do with the touchscreen setting: the screen looks fine initially, showing the "libreelec alpha" splashscreen, but doesn't change and then fades to white. When I play with the resolution and refresh rate using the official remote app on my phone, I see a change on the screen, but still no clear image. So it seems that at some point during the boot/loading of kodi, the video settings change or the video signal is not being sent via hdmi. I've played around with the settings in config.txt and nothing seems to help. Any more ideas? Any log files I should look at?

Thanks for your help!

In that post it is written /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.system.tslib.

I hope I will finish this in next few days, commit everything and then official addon can be installed. BUt even in this case some help from users would be required - as I wrote I don't have any generic touchscreen and can't cover all possible combinations.

Okay. I understand those files are needed but where do the files need to go to? In post #59 in this thread there is a .zip file that contains both the files and quite a few other files. What needs to be copied where? Like post #59 suggested I thought I could install this using the addon from zip feature. But if I cannot see the screen, I cannot do that.

Thanks for the prompt replies!

This two files MUST be copied/edited manually. Maybe one day this could be possible from addon settings but at the moment I don't have this on my plan.
    If you don't have this 2 files then daemon is not started. I assume something else went wrong in your case for not seeing kodi. To be sure remove addon folder /storage/.kodi/addons/service.system.touchscreen.

vpeter - no I couldn't set up ts.conf and ts_env.sh. I wanted to do that using the addon-from-zip method mentioned earlier in this thread. The zip files didn't work on 7.0.2 so I upgraded to 7.90.007. That's when my screen stopped working. I checked and ts_env and ts.conf are not on the system.

mrhk13, did you setup ts.conf and ts_env.sh? And if you remove this addon folder does it start?

Hi All,

I have a Raspberry Pi B that was running 7.0.2 using a small (5") touchscreen. The screen worked but not the touch-portion. I was following a thread (LibreELEC) on how to get it to work, which involved upgrading to 7.90.007 to allow for manually loading a touchscreen library (tslib) as an addon. As soon as I did that, I half-lost the screen: I can see the "libreelec alpha" splash screen during booting, but then it fades to white and nothing shows. This even though Kodi is up and running: I can ssh in and the iPhone remote "sees" it as well! Any ideas on why the screen doesn't work anymore?

It isn't the cable: running a different SD card with a working version of 7.0.2 everything works. Or running 7.90.007 using a different cable and normal monitor I get the same effect. So clearly between the splash and kodi something happens... Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi vpeter

I was running 7.0.2 and wanted to implement the touchscreen. The screen works fine, but not the touch portion. So I followed the suggestions you made in post #59 (or see below) and downloaded the addons and tried to load them. Because I was on 7.0.2 the addons couldn't install, they require Kodi 17 so like Schorschi79, I upgraded to 7.90.007 and got stuck: when my Raspberry Pi B boots, I can see the splashscreen on my touchscreen, but it then fades to white. Kodi is up and running: I can ssh in, and my iphone app sees it, but the screen doesn't receive a signal. When I use a normal monitor, I get the same. Any idea what might have caused this? Are there log files you'd need to see to help diagnose?

Thanks!!
    Mark