Posts by Cubytus

Hi there,

I have the latest stable LibreELEC version 8.2.5 running on an RPi 3. I often use it with the iPhone app as a remote, but would rather use the Bluetooth keyboard because I prefer having physical keys. It's a Zoweetek keyboard-trackpad combo.

Problem is, is takes a very long time to wake up from sleep state (about 30 seconds), at least compared to my Apple Magic keyboard (1 to 2 seconds at most). Timeout occurs after 10 mins. Since it doesn't seem to have an adjustable timeout period, I'd like to know if there would be a way for LibreELEC to periodically "ping" the keyboard so as to keep it awake. I don't mind the increased power consumption as it uses rechargeable batteries.

Thanks,

Hi there,

I have the latest version of LibreELEC running on RPi3. I started from a clean install, then restored the backup from the original RPi B+ it was running on previously, Of course a few addons were incompatible and LibreELEC on RPi3 properly detected so.

However, I'm not sure when, but Kodi stopped updating the "Recently viewed" list a while ago.

Was it a built-in function of Kodi, or a plugin that left this orphaned folder hanging at the top of the "Movies" pane?

Hi there,

I am currently trying to find a way to extend the Mac's desktop (best) or simply duplicate what's on it (good) to a LibreELEC running on a RPi B. I can't use the HDMI cable to connect the Mac and the TV since the MiniDisplay port is broken. So far I found a decent plugin for Firefox, but it only works with Youtube and other big-names video websites.

An overview of what I have on hand:

Software:

VLC on both computers

AirParrot2, trial version.

SwitchResX 4.7.0, trial version

I wouldn't mind the price of any of those if it worked.

Hardware:

Nokia N8, has a DLNA receiver and an HDMI output, capable of 720p. Runs latest version of Symbian Belle.

MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.6.8

MacBook running Mac OS X 10.11.6

I already know AirPlay on Kodi only supports audio, not video, and surely not casting a Mac's screen.

The goal is to avoid the purchase of any hardware, be it Chromecast, EZcast or Apple TV. I have a strong preference for open-source software, but don't mind a fair price for shareware.

Naively I thought someone may have found an app for Mac that would cast the screen by emulating a video stream that would be sent to Kodi on port 8080?

How would I cast what's on my Mac's screen or better yet, extend the desktop on the TV?

Hello to the community,

when a movie or other media sits on a NFS elsewhere on a LAN, would there be a plugin that would allow for easy caching files on a locally-connected hard drive? I know this was a feature of a now-discontinued media box (can't remember the name)

Intended usage: small LibreELEC box, source media sitting on big, fat HDDs in a NAS. Get a few movies and bring the LibreELEC box to a friend's house without moving the NAS.

I know one can manually copy files to local storage, but this requires going back and forth between the media view and the raw list view, which is not practical. Would there be such a plugin?

Hi there,

I have quite a few data-filled DVDs. I connected an external DVD drive to the RPi, powered it, inserted a DVD filled with movies. But it doesn't appear, not even in the file browser in the rightmost, bottom tile in the parameters.

Where do data DVDs actually mount in LibreELEC?

I tested the overclcok with two different power supplies, a generic USB charger rated at 1A, and a Samsung USB charger rated at 2A. I plugged a USB voltage / intensity monitor and measured without load, and with the Pi. The generic showed a large voltage dip when under load, but the Samsung charger increased from about 5.01V to 5.23V@800mA. How is this charger property called?

I still don't get why the measured current so much greater when the Pi runs off 5.23V than from 4.65V.

Since then, I overclocked to 950MHz, no issues except a high pitched hiss coming from the TV speakers that changes when I select a different movie. Don't know how to solve it.

Playing a large movie stored on the SD card, CPU temperature shoots to 68º, the RPi B sitting in an enclosure with no special cooling enhancement.

Hi there,

I got LibreELEC on a RPi1, and, while it's functional, using the extensions or simply navigating folders is painfully slow. It's not unusual for a simple Youtube request to take one or two full minutes. Now, I get it, running a 2017 OS on 2012 hardware is bound to be slow. But switching to a RPi 3 is not an option at the moment due to the high price tag ($50+).

As I understand, LibreELEC was first meant to be stable, and thus does not allow for easy overclocking.

But the slowness…

I attempted to modify the /flash/config.txt following these instructions (meant for OpenELEC, but both systems are quite similar in this regard), trying the "medium" settings, plus some overvoltage so as to allow for more stable operation.

Code
    force_turbo=0####################### Overclock mode settings.## default recommended values are: arm_freq | core_freq | sdram_freq | over_voltage# no overclocking : 700 | 250 | 400 | 0# mode 'Modest' : 800 | 300 | 400 | 0# mode 'Medium' : 900 | 333 | 450 | 2# mode 'High' : 950 | 450 | 450 | 6# mode 'Turbo' : 1000 | 500 | 600 | 6# mode 'Pi2' : 1000 | 500 | 500 | 2
    arm_freq=900core_freq=333sdram_freq=450over_voltage=2over_voltage_sdram=4

But it doesn't hold after reboot. Although LibreELEC does boot, it appears unable to latch on the network and keep its DHCP-assigned IP (Ethernet, not WiFi). CPU temperature is normal, around 57C with no heatsink under medium load (never goes below 25%), just naturally vented open-top case. Seldom freezes or crashes.

It is currently running off a slightly modified power supply previously used for an old external hard drive. It has both 12V and 5V rail, able to push 2A on both. The 12V rail had no load, and when the RPi is running, a USB voltage/ current monitor records about 180mA drain on the 5V rail, but only 4.64V. When I load the 12V rail with a small 12V LED bulb (around 190mA drain), the 5V climbs to 4.77V, and I can reach 4.85V if I plug a DVD drive (idle). Thus, the 5V real voltage seems dependent of the 12V load.

Is the 5V rail voltage too low to ensure stable operation with overclocking?

What is the maximum real voltage an RPi 1 can take without damage? 5.1V. 5.2V?

Is my /flash/config.txt missing parameters to ensure stable overclocking?

Is the CPU simply too hot at 57C?

Or some other reason why it fails?

Cable. No video is stored on the RPi.

Buffer appears necessary locally as on movie pause, the server hard drives go to sleep after a few minutes, but need time to resume. I just don't like the accelerated or image skipping frames during these few seconds. It reminds me of this pesky bug where a backgrounded video resumes playing while I try to launch another. The main server itself isn't to blame. It can push more than 60MBps from its external HDDs without effort, and I already saw a sustained 88MBps under different conditions. Aggressive standby is necessary because of the noise generated.

The RPi has a good GPU, but still can't handle a 25GB/2 hours of movie over a network. I believe the limit is even lower. It's rather easy to reach its limit. Plus, only the playback is good, navigation in LibreELEC is slow. One must think in advance where he wants to click. I get it, the RPi B was a revolution when it first came out. Still, I can't see any justification to replace the RPi B. This box is rather expensive, and the RPi 3 is even more expensive! I still remember the price I paid 3 years ago for the RPi B: $50 before taxes and shipping, and it was a deal!

Bitrate being variable, buffering larger amounts of data before playing would greatly help those files being played at the limit of what the RPi can do.

And even over the Internet, one has to keep in mind the pipe is relatively small (50Mbps) and gets a lot of use besides Kodi. So, yeah, it can easily stutter on HD video. I think more aggressive buffering would help smooth everything,

Hi again,

I use LibreELEC 8.0.2 stable on a RPi B. Files are spread among 3 NAS using NFS protocol. Most of the time I play 1080p video files that can be pretty heavy, or 1080p streaming from Youtube or others.

I'd like to know if there would be an easy way to manage buffer size so the playback doesn't stutter too much.

Also, what would be an optimal setting for buffer size for all media so it fits entirely in RAM?

Hello there,

not sure if it's a known issue of Kodi or if it's LibreELEC-specific, but here it is.

When I pause a video and put it in background to select a new one, when I select "Play" for the new video stream or file, the backgrounded one resumes. Not a deal-breaker, but nevertheless a bit annoying on my platform: RPi B (1st gen), LibreELEC 8.0.2, Kodi 17

Is it a settings issue or something else?

Hello there,

I've got a Banana Pi M1, and want to compare its performance with the Raspberry Pi when using LibreELEC. The RPi is usable, but rather slow.

However, no official build or generic ARM build of LibreELEC seems to be available for the BPi. So I wrote a Bananian image on an SD card, but how do I install LibreELEC from here?

Strangely, I couldn't find a repository address that could be used with apt-get.

Also, what are the keyboard shortcuts for Kodi?