How to cast a screen from Mac to Kodi?

• Hi there,

I am currently trying to find a way to extend the Mac's desktop (best) or simply duplicate what's on it (good) to a LibreELEC running on a RPi B. I can't use the HDMI cable to connect the Mac and the TV since the MiniDisplay port is broken. So far I found a decent plugin for Firefox, but it only works with Youtube and other big-names video websites.

An overview of what I have on hand:

Software:

VLC on both computers

AirParrot2, trial version.

SwitchResX 4.7.0, trial version

I wouldn't mind the price of any of those if it worked.

Hardware:

Nokia N8, has a DLNA receiver and an HDMI output, capable of 720p. Runs latest version of Symbian Belle.

MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.6.8

MacBook running Mac OS X 10.11.6

I already know AirPlay on Kodi only supports audio, not video, and surely not casting a Mac's screen.

The goal is to avoid the purchase of any hardware, be it Chromecast, EZcast or Apple TV. I have a strong preference for open-source software, but don't mind a fair price for shareware.

Naively I thought someone may have found an app for Mac that would cast the screen by emulating a video stream that would be sent to Kodi on port 8080?

How would I cast what's on my Mac's screen or better yet, extend the desktop on the TV?

• VNC is about the only screen sharing thing available with LE as Airplay video hasn't worked since iOS8.x (and never supported screen mirroring) and using that (client) software you need to connect from RPi to Mac, you cannot 'cast' the other way from Mac to RPi - and the performance will be a bit sucky (probably). I'd say the least-worst solution is to find a non-current (cheaper) AppleTV on eBay. You can cast FOSS love in the direction of Apple by never renting movies etc. from them.