How to Install LibreELEC to a Laptop

• I created a bootable USB with the software that comes from the homepage.

Now, what is the next step?

I don't want to lose any data. If I change the boot order, what will happen next? Just run from the USB or is there a need for format something?

• Boot from the installer USB and the syslinux boot prompt type "run" .. and instead of running the installer it will convert itself into a "LiveUSB" with persistent storage. Then configure the laptop boot order to prefer USB .. job done. We do not recommend repartitioning the HDD, although that's mostly selfish and because if/when users screw something up we have no interest in walking them through the process of fixing things.

• For the last few years I've routinely chucked libreelec (and openelec before it) on anything that runs windows by using system on sd / usb pointing to a storage partition at the end of the hard drive. That's straightforward (in that it's quick / easy / you're not messing with bootloaders / there's no (easy)way to lose windows) and has worked for me for years with no noticed errors. Subjectively it's as quick as a 'proper' install, and behaves identically (for me) in all respects.

I'm happy to write a quick guide for that, but am conscious the response may be 'We don't do it that way'...???

• Boot from the installer USB and the syslinux boot prompt type "run" .. and instead of running the installer it will convert itself into a "LiveUSB" with persistent storage. Then configure the laptop boot order to prefer USB .. job done. We do not recommend repartitioning the HDD, although that's mostly selfish and because if/when users screw something up we have no interest in walking them through the process of fixing things.

Let me ask you a question. When I go home today, I will put the bootable USB to the laptop; then I will just type "RUN" and press enter... Everything will just run fine without losing any data. Correct?

• Worst that can happen is you miss the 5-second window to type run and then it boots into the graphical installer where to actually screw things up you need to select install to the internal HDD and confirm (twice) that you want to nuke the contents of the disk. Users never cease to redefine our boundaries for the definition of stupid, but assuming you're not it's a safe process.