Instal Libre on an Android box?

• So I just got an Android box (because I have to get all the new stuff) and because I wanted H.265 support, But I am finding that Kodi on Android is not very good.

1. Is there a way to install Libre onot my device?
    2. If so, will I lose H.265 HEVC support?

I assume this is all up to the processor. I have the MXpro 4K box. I believe it has an Amlogic S905 quad core ARM Cortex-A53

thank you

• Official Post

but I am finding that Kodi on Android is not very good

Well, Kodi/SPMC on Android 6.0 on Nvidia Shield TV is pretty good overall and blazingly fast. So there are exceptions.

Amlogic S905 hardware is already having various revisions, so that's a maze as well. S905 is on the LibreELEC agenda, but work is still ongoing in Alpha stage for only certain S905 boxes.

• Well, Kodi/SPMC on Android 6.0 on Nvidia Shield TV is pretty good overall and blazingly fast. So there are exceptions.

Amlogic S905 hardware is already having various revisions, so that's a maze as well. S905 is on the LibreELEC agenda, but work is still ongoing in Alpha stage for only certain S905 boxes.

It runs fast and the video plays sweet. Just noticing that a LOT of the addons are not available, and I have a lot of crashing issues. Just little differences that are missing and I am having a hard time giving them up. And although it is kind of fun to have Android on it, I suppose it is not really practical and I am not likely to use the Android part of it, other than for just goofing around because it is cool.

• Well, Kodi/SPMC on Android 6.0 on Nvidia Shield TV is pretty good overall and blazingly fast. So there are exceptions.

I am also out of memory on the Android. It came with 5G but Kodi takes up a LOT of space (with thinbs and such). I uninstalled EVERY app but Kodi and my storage is still full. Can't seem to find a way to expand memory in Android. With LE, I know it will be easy.

• I am also out of memory on the Android. It came with 5G but Kodi takes up a LOT of space (with thinbs and such). I uninstalled EVERY app but Kodi and my storage is still full. Can't seem to find a way to expand memory in Android. With LE, I know it will be easy.

You can stick kodi or spmc folders on an sd card in android by using xbmc_env.properties or spmc_env.properties files - see the kodi wiki.

• You can stick kodi or spmc folders on an sd card in android by using xbmc_env.properties or spmc_env.properties files - see the kodi wiki.

Thanks... So I did that. And nothing changed. Do I need to move the files? Or uninstall Kodi and reinstall? I have no way to back up the Kodi files on this Android device either. I tried the program that is supposed to let you do that.. usbtosd or whatever it is called. But it runs for a while, then says "Not all files were coppied" and NO files were coppied.

• Yes, you need to move the files. Have a read of the wiki, there are also a few good guides on the main kodi website if you search. The env.properties files are basically pointers - you edit them to point to your kodi data.
    It's way off-topic here, but there is loads of info on the kodi site - as you'd expect... 'How do I move kodi to an sd card?' is a fairly common question.

• Yes, you need to move the files. Have a read of the wiki, there are also a few good guides on the main kodi website if you search. The env.properties files are basically pointers - you edit them to point to your kodi data.
    It's way off-topic here, but there is loads of info on the kodi site - as you'd expect... 'How do I move kodi to an sd card?' is a fairly common question.

Yea, I followed the directions. Doesn't work on my system. Kodi just boots vanilla. I put the text file in the "sd card" directory (a shortcut on my system) and in the "/" path. But Kodi still looks in the normal folder.

I tried installing LE but it didn't work for me with a USB. When I do the toothpick, it just boots into recovery. If I go to "Apply update from EXT" the USB has no files that show up. I can see the files on my PC... The ones that are supposed to be there, plus a kernal.

• Yea, I followed the directions. Doesn't work on my system. Kodi just boots vanilla. I put the text file in the "sd card" directory (a shortcut on my system) and in the "/" path. But Kodi still looks in the normal folder.

I tried installing LE but it didn't work for me with a USB. When I do the toothpick, it just boots into recovery. If I go to "Apply update from EXT" the USB has no files that show up. I can see the files on my PC... The ones that are supposed to be there, plus a kernal.

You need to extract the *-update.zip file from the .zip file, then copy it to your usb stick and try it again through "Apply update from EXT". If you still don't see the *-update.zip file, you should check the filesystem from your usb stick. Fat32 should work.