At my wits end

• I have the following:

RPi3 with LibreElec Beta 8.1.1 installed on a 16GB SD card.

Avermedia AverTV Volar Hybrid Q A837 USB TV Tuner (which does function properly on a Windows 10 machine)

TVheadend v. 3.4.27.1 from the LibreElec repository

Kodi recognises the tuner attached in the boot alerts: "CEC adapter: connected TV"

The TVheadend setup at localhost:9981 sees no tuner in the list.

1. Not sure if I need a powered USB hub to supply sufficient power to the tuner, or if there's a driver issue going on.

2. I'm also curious about the configuration of the add-on for the HTSP client. For the connection settings "Tvheadend hostname or IP address" the default is set to 127.0.0.1. If this unit is the host, then do I use the IP address my router assigns or just leave it. I know the 127.0.0.1 address is the internal adapter default.

All other functions of the system work fine and as normal.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I've run through countless tutorials over the past three days with no luck. These questions are pretty much what I've narrowed the issue down too.

• Yep - that log shows that the tuner is recognised as a USB device, but nothing more than that (i.e. it isn't recognised as a TV tuner and initialised).

AVerMedia - LinuxTVWiki doesn't show Linux support for the A837 or H837 - so it looks like that tuner is a Windows device but without Linux support.

I'd always recommend consulting the LinuxTVWiki to check support before buying a device (though if you already have one - that's a moot point)

• noggin - You could try contacting AVerMedia and ask if they know of any linux driver (depends on what differences there are). There may be something already compatible with your device like the A835.

I don't have the problem! Was just trying to help the OP. I'm in DVB-land and happily running a mix of DVB-T/T2 and S/S2 tuners with no major issues :)

• Thanks all. AverMedia support responded today. They advise that said tuner is Windows compatible only. Any suggestions for a compatible tuner, or how to connect my box to a windows unit driving the tuner?

• Thanks all. AverMedia support responded today. They advise that said tuner is Windows compatible only. Any suggestions for a compatible tuner, or how to connect my box to a windows unit driving the tuner?

Make sure you go for one with driver support on the Linux TV Wiki. The Hauppauge models are usually well supported.

Most of us in these parts are probably DVB users (Europe, lots of Asia, Aus/NZ etc.) so our tuners aren't compatible with the ATSC standard, so we can't recommend particular models based on real-world usage. (I have a pile of DVB-T/T2 tuners...)