What is the difference between LibreElec and OpenVPN or are they the same?

• I am confused from what I understand LibreElec is a distribution built to run Kodi on mediacentre hardware. (Read it in the about section of this page).

What is a distribution built ?

And what does OpenVPN has to do with LibreElec or someone can please explain in lay man language what LibreElec is and what is the connection of OpenVPN with LibreElec.

• You may mix OpenVPN with OpenELEC.

LibreELEC is a active maintained fork of OpenELEC, and OpenVPN is

OpenVPN is an open-source software application that implements virtual private network (VPN) techniques for creating secure point-to-point or site-to-site connections in routed or bridged configurations and remote access facilities. It uses a custom security protocol[9] that utilizes SSL/TLS for key exchange. as seen at wikipedia :)

• LibreElec=Operating System=Linux (Not Android, Not Windows)

OpenVPN=Application (to connect to and use VPNs)

Jaaxx,

Am I correct in thinking that OpenVPN allows me to connect my LibreELC (Kodi) to a VPN of my choice, currently I use Avira.

If yes, would you point me in the right direction to read up on how to install/use OpenVPN

• Jaaxx,

Am I correct in thinking that OpenVPN allows me to connect my LibreELC (Kodi) to a VPN of my choice, currently I use Avira.

If yes, would you point me in the right direction to read up on how to install/use OpenVPN

This is what is connecting the dots to my question here.

So what I get from Jaaxx is, LibreElec is an operating system for Linux.

And OpenVPN is what could be installed on LibreElec? Otherwise can I not connect others VPNs on LibreElec