move tvheadend to docker

• Hi
    Nice will move Tvheadend backend to docker - then will more independent of any updates of system, depending libraries etc.

From one year im using this solution on unRAID, for using hardware from system like dvb tuner enough use
    extra parametr --device=/dev/dvb/

Its even more benefits
    I was create my dockerhub repo where Tvheadend is daily compiled at 4.0am from github source (master)
    builds

now people must wait for next addon version, must be compiled etc.
    with docker is no problem make repo with autobuild stable build, dev build etc.

Is also easy add WebGrab+ to co-operate with tvheadend - xmltv

Ohh and for me command line is ok for docker but for many people not.
    Nice will add some GUI - addon to control that

in unRAID is very nice this resolved just please look
    Dropbox - Zrzut ekranu 2016-07-16 14.24.28.png - main look - manager of containers
    Dropbox - Zrzut ekranu 2016-07-16 14.25.46.png - command for containers
    Dropbox - Zrzut ekranu 2016-07-16 14.27.02.png - editing containers
    Dropbox - Zrzut ekranu 2016-07-16 14.27.38.png - adding new from repo

this could be some inspiration
    Ping @chewiit @Irusak

Edited once, last by piotrasd (July 16, 2016 at 3:21 PM).

• How about Ubuntu Snaps? ;) It seems distro-agnostic too
    [hr]
    piotrasd, don't you think you could convert you Tvheadend Dockerfile for libreelec?

Edited once, last by bam (July 27, 2016 at 6:10 PM).

• hi guys, im a developer over on the unraid forum and have produced a fair few docker images. a while ago i spotted on the openelec forum that docker was possible via kodi addon and started playing around getting the docker images i had produced running as containers on openelec, all was good after some tweaks to allow the user to define the account the container runs as.

one of my main drivers for this was to allow me to independantly upgrade tvheadend backend by running it as a docker container, this then meant i wasn't reliant on the openelec build of tvheadend (which was out of date for some months).

so this was some months ago and i am happy to say i have been running tvheadend as a docker container on my openelec system quite happily, so i would assume this should run just as well on libreelec.

if anybody wants to take a look at the tvheadend image i have produced (or any of the other images for that matter) then please take a look here:-

arch-tvheadend

usage examples should give you a clue as to how to create the container, i have also got a systemd unit file i have created so that i can register it with systemd to start on boot, i can post this too if anybody is interested?.

i have also been toying with the idea of creating some user friendly bash scripts to make the whole pull, create, and register with systemd a simple process for *elec users, its going to be some effort to do this but if there is any interest i will take a look.