INTEL NUC - problems correctly connecting to NAS

• Hey Guys,

Completely new to the world of KODI, purely because I have to find an alternative to WMC as it's at end of life, and so are my HTPCs....

Anyway, started experimenting with KODI under windows and everything works great, really happy with it so far.

I decided to make use of an NUC 2830 I have, and installed LibreELEC on a stick to try it outside of Windows, the installation went without a hitch and was up and running within half an hour.

Coming from WMC - MY MOVIES, all my library is either in DVD - VIDEO_TS structure or ISO, or BLU-RAY ISO, ( Not interested in ripping to *.MKV or the like as the library is far too big and I like all the extras.) after adding some titles to the library (which in itself was a battle, a question for another day) I tried to play one of them. Absolutely nothing..... No playback at all, it seems like it does not even attempt to play anything....

Is there something basic I've missed? Is there a config. or add-on I need to install to playback TS structure or ISO?

Not being at all familiar with anything outside of Windows, I may well have missed something dumb. I have scoured the WIKIs but cannot find anything relating to it. I believe the BLU-RAY ISOs may need more fiddling to get working, but figure it should play decrypted TS or ISO DVD content out of the box?

On a side note, one reason I tried using the NUC outside of windows is that under windows this processor will not do HD audio passthrough, and I believe under this config it will??? If I'm completely wrong about that, I'll give up now and foot the bill for an 'I' series processor and stick with Windows, as I know that works.....

Any advice appreciated

Regards,

Steve

• OK,

It's got the better of me, looks to be a connection issue with my NAS. Although I can navigate to the source and see all the files, KODI beleives the directory does not exist. I just tried resetting the system and started fresh, added the source location again and it's the same. It explains the difficulty in scanning for content too. Does anybody have any ideas? I'm trying to use SMB which works under windows without issue, maybe a different protocol is needed for libreELEC??

Log attached.

TIA

Steve

Log.txt

• I can navigate to the source and see all the files, KODI beleives the directory does not exist. I just tried resetting the system and started fresh, added the source location again and it's the same. It explains the difficulty in scanning for content too. Does anybody have any ideas? I'm trying to use SMB which works under windows without issue, maybe a different protocol is needed for libreELEC??

I seem to have the same issue.

• I had all sorts of problems with running Libreelec on a NUC. It wouldn't resolve domain names properly (

DNS issue - Plz help me understand) and I wasn't able to get PVR WMC to work. It would either fail to connect to the server or if it did it couldn't find the recording share. Changing to IPs didn't help. I could mount the share from the command line but Libreelec wouldn't from Kodi.

I finally fixed it, but not by using Libreelec. Went with Openelec instead.

• Libreelec seemed to be ok as far as using a simple share for media. I pointed it to my Synology NAS for movies and it found them without an issue (I did use the NAS IP though). I spent about 10 hours over several days trying to get it to work with PVR WMC. It took about 10 minutes to get PVR WMC to work with Openelec. I also use Emby for my server (I have several Kodi based HTPCs). That too took just a few minutes to set up (longer for it to scan in all the movies/tv shows/music). I didn't try to set up Emby on Libreelec.

If you do decide to go with Openelec be aware there is a problem in the current release and it won't install on a NUC. Install v8.02 and then let it upgrade itself to 8.04.

• So far only one person posted a debug log and that shows nothing to do with pvr.wmc (doesn't even look to be installed) which means we're not going to be much help. NB: LE 8.1.0 was released this morning with SMB2/3 support and Samba 4.x is (or was) the only major package difference between recent OE releases and LE. We've been slower to bump Samba version because it needed changes in Kodi too. OE ignored that part.

• If you do decide to go with Openelec be aware there is a problem in the current release and it won't install on a NUC. Install v8.02 and then let it upgrade itself to 8.04.

Also be aware that OpenELEC is pretty much dead at this time and the forum is a ghost town. Just look at the commit logs for each project they speak for themselves.

• Thanks for the responses;

So far only one person posted a debug log and that shows nothing to do with pvr.wmc (doesn't even look to be installed) which means we're not going to be much help. NB: LE 8.1.0 was released this morning with SMB2/3 support and Samba 4.x is (or was) the only major package difference between recent OE releases and LE. We've been slower to bump Samba version because it needed changes in Kodi too. OE ignored that part.

It was my log attached, I don't have pvr.wmc installed. I am, at this stage, only concerned in the issues in connecting to my NAS correctly.

Was there any clues to why this could be happening in the log??

As I know absolutely nothing about LINUX(?) Is it preferable to use NFS?? Or should SMB work as described in the WIKI's??

Looking at some of the other responses;

I had all sorts of problems with running Libreelec on a NUC. It wouldn't resolve domain names properly (

DNS issue - Plz help me understand) and I wasn't able to get PVR WMC to work. It would either fail to connect to the server or if it did it couldn't find the recording share. Changing to IPs didn't help. I could mount the share from the command line but Libreelec wouldn't from Kodi.

I finally fixed it, but not by using Libreelec. Went with Openelec instead.

Libreelec seemed to be ok as far as using a simple share for media. I pointed it to my Synology NAS for movies and it found them without an issue (I did use the NAS IP though). I spent about 10 hours over several days trying to get it to work with PVR WMC. It took about 10 minutes to get PVR WMC to work with Openelec. I also use Emby for my server (I have several Kodi based HTPCs). That too took just a few minutes to set up (longer for it to scan in all the movies/tv shows/music). I didn't try to set up Emby on Libreelec.

If you do decide to go with Openelec be aware there is a problem in the current release and it won't install on a NUC. Install v8.02 and then let it upgrade itself to 8.04.

I will first update to the latest version of LIBREelec, if still no success I will try using the NAS IP instead of the NAME using SMB protocol.

If still no success, I will configure NFS and try it out. Although the option for SMB exists so it should work right?? And configuring NFS looks a bit daunting to me on the NAS end?? (At least how it's described in some of the KODI WIKI's for QNAP...)

Thanks again guys,

Will let you know the results.

• OK,

for those that are interested, I found time to to try these things today.

I installed LE 8.1.0, added a movie library using 'SMB://NAS_IP/HD_Movies/....' LE discovered the library of BLU-RAY ISO and played the titles without issue.

I then tried 'SMB://NAS_NAME/DVD_Movies/....' LE discovered the library of DVD (Video_TS structure) and played the titles without issue.

So the last update seems to have resolved the issue with using the host-name instead of IP. I would never have thought to try IP instead of host-name, so thanks for the hint. But it seems it is all sorted by the later version anyway.

I also moved on and installed the NextPVR add-on and connected it to my server. Apart from an error message during instalation (although it still installed) This too works well for live TV and recording.

So, two wins in one evening. Next is to connect to AVR and see what sound we can get from it.

Thanks again to those who commented.

• Thx Steve. Since you were able to get PVR working I'll give the new version of Libreelec another try.

Setting up NFS on a Synology is pretty easy. It's been a while since I've used a QNAP and I don't remember what was involved. Regardless if you have SMB shares working there's no reason to change.

• Hello,

My NUC has also the Samba Share problem, also whit a Synology NAS.

I see the movie in the libery but when a push play the dont play..

Lates updates dont work .

• Kodi settings > services > smb client > set max client protocol version to SMB2 .. it will prompt to reboot. This should prevent Kodi attempting (and it looks like failing) to autonegotiate SMB2 connections. Or update the software on the NAS and enable SMB3.

• I have the NAS now enable SMB3 and LE 8.1.0 BETA on the NUC and it is working fine.

I had to set lirc off i had also 2 kliks on my remote.

LE 8.1.0 BETA is working fine.

Thanks for now Chewitt