No HDMI out when Upgrade

• Below is my post from OE forum. Sorry if that is offends or anything...
    I was hoping trying LE would be different but no dice. Same result
    I have tried to drop the LE .tar file to upgrade folder and exact same result... So I am concerned there must be some issue w/ my HTPC and driver support.
    I also tried a couple Millhouse builds but same result.
    Even when I write an image (again w/ OE) w/ 7 I do not get any HDMI out.
    I did not try a clean install w/ LE but I dont see that will make any difference. And I will have to roll it back w/ live boot from 6.03 OE and that is a pain enough...

This post below from OE forum has been up for a day but no reply.
    I just really want Jarvis up and going on my main system. I have it going on 2 RPi3 w/ used the .tar updagrades perfectly.
    - DW

I have been trying for a week to get OE to update so I can play w/ Jarvis... I really love OE and got my Pi3 working great on OE7 w/ a fresh install.
    I have 6.03 working fine and sharp but no matter what I try I can not get any output from PC to TV or monitor when I boot.
    I know oE is running b/c I can SSH and Kodi Remote on Iphone in via network. And Samba working fine...
    So It is just not recognizing any output for HDMI. No Signal at all... I have tried live booting into a USB image but same thing. No video
    I have been reading for ever tonight on any clue or how to SSH in there and change the output... AT A LOSS!!
    So if anyone can provide guidance.
    Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz
    GPU: Mesa DRI Intl G45/G43

Is it a problem w/ Driver Support for my PC?

I restored back to 6.03.w/ live boot image and then restored .tar back up. Back to normal and working fine... But I'm still on Isengard 15.2 and a bit limited. I cant set up a mysql server to my RPi till I figure out how to get this onto Jarvis.
    ANY guidance and help is appreciated!!!!

Edited once, last by CvH (April 13, 2016 at 8:19 AM).

• I have tried installing the current 6.90.005 LE build using an image on USB and booting live to it. I am still getting no video output.
    As soon as I boot to USB disk there is a splash of some text that looks like command line then it goes dark. No signal.
    When I use the .tar file to upgrade my OE 6.03 build it works. I can SHH in there, can SAMBA, KORE remote. It seems to be working fine but no video output via HDMI. So I am sure its running background.
    I am not familiar enough nor have I found any post to tell me how to see the video output settings via SSH.

I would like to just fresh install and just rebuild as I do have a lot of junk on my KODI build (some stuff that will not be supported). Its been a couple years so could use a fresh install.
    So any help out there? Any post or forums anyone can point me to?

Any info I can provide to see if there is driver support for my hardware? Other than:
    Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz
    GPU: Mesa DRI Intl G45/G43

At a loss...
    [hr]
    Completely fresh install of OE 6.03 using .img file on usb.
    Dropped the LE 6.90.005 .tar file and updated. Same thing. No HDMI signal. there has to be something I can do.
    Any suggestions?

Edited once, last by dwkodi15 (April 11, 2016 at 7:49 AM).

• The G45 should be fine. At least the "Kodi supported hardware - Wiki" says so: Supported hardware - Official Kodi Wiki

If you have a lot of junk installed on your machine, I would recommend a fresh install or remove the .kodi folder and reboot. That would be like a factory reset.

If it still doesn´t work then we might need some more info....

output of:

Code
    dmesg
    Code
    xrandr

The link you will get from:

Code
    pastebinit /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log
  • David,
    Thank you very much for your response and willingness to help me out.
    I am still no closer to knowing what is causing all this headache!
    Here is a link to a google drive w/ the information you asked for.
    I deleted the .kodi folder and then I pulled the logs and xrandr and dmesg from OE 6.03.
    I then dropped the .tar file for LE 6.90 into the update folder and rebooted... No HDMI output
    I then got the xrandr, dmesg and log.
    All 6 files are in the google drive.
    Please let me know if there is anything further you need and what you think of this issue.
    Thanks again!!

gdrive files
    [hr]
    Ok... So I didnt really read the difference in the xrandr but I think its obvious...
    So the OE6.03 has HDMI1 connected and the LE6.90 show HDMI1 as disconnected.
    So how do I get this to connect?
    I am not changing anything physically when I do the update.
    I also tried to reboot plugged directly into my TV and made no difference. I am plugging the HDMI inot a pioneer VSX-60 reciever.... And I see that listed under device 4 in the LE6.90 log

Edited once, last by dwkodi15 (April 12, 2016 at 6:31 AM).

• Not sure that is going to make a difference. I can't even get a splash screen. The HDMI is just not being detected. I was checking out xorg.conf file set up but not sure how to configure that. Tried a couple configurations but could get HDMI1 to show connected in xrandr

I did go in and play w/ some settings on the kodi iphone remote about video acceleration (VDPAU & VAAPI) turned them off and on and rebooted and nothing made a difference. Thanks for the tip josefelix but didnt do anything.
    [hr]
    @ David
    You know the Live USB boo for OE 6.03 works but not OE 6.95 nor the LE 6.90
    Im sure it loads in background but no HDMI outuput. I have to believe G45 had to drop support or something... Just a thought

Edited once, last by dwkodi15 (April 12, 2016 at 7:30 AM).

• Could you do me a favour...I see, that you have an amp between your HTPC and your TV. At least that is show in your OE installation, that a Pioneer VSX-60 is connected. Could you please try to connect the HTPC directly to your TV? Like this:

HTPC---HDMI---->TV

There are some known bugs with Intel and Pioneer and I want to rule the Pioneer out probably being the culprit. My guess is, that the HDMI handshake doesn´t work because the Pioneer sends shitty EDID informations.

We can workaround this later, not a huge deal, but I want to be sure first.

• Could you do me a favour...I see, that you have an amp between your HTPC and your TV. At least that is show in your OE installation, that a Pioneer VSX-60 is connected. Could you please try to connect the HTPC directly to your TV? Like this:

HTPC---HDMI---->TV

There are some known bugs with Intel and Pioneer and I want to rule the Pioneer out probably being the culprit. My guess is, that the HDMI handshake doesn´t work because the Pioneer sends shitty EDID informations.

We can workaround this later, not a huge deal, but I want to be sure first.

Thanks David. I did do this. Both with LE and OE versions after they were up and running. Also with the live boot USB image before install when I wiped the hard drive.
    Didn't seem to matter.
    I have an LG 55UF6450

Is there a way to force HDMI like on the pi. Obviously way different with bios vs config.
    [hr]
    Quite a pain in arse as well with tv wall mounted and the painstaking cable management i implemented. Lol.
    But to clarify i tried it in multiple HDMI ports on TV and witha couple cables.
    [hr]
    I tried turning HDMI control via amp on and off as well as i saw that on some post as solution.
    Quite odd that it works flawless with OE 5 through 6.03. Been running fine for couple years.
    I know the PC is getting dated...

Edited once, last by dwkodi15 (April 12, 2016 at 9:02 AM).

• Do it as following:

- power down the HTPC
    - connect the HTPC directly to the TV
    - be sure, the TV is switched on and you are on the correct source
    - power up your HTPC

Normally you should get a screen. If not, don´t power down or reboot or anything else...just SSH in and get me

Code
    xrandr

and a new debuglog:

Code
    pastebinit /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

The difference is:

"Thanks David. I did do this. Both with LE and OE versions after they were up and running."

If you connect an already running HTPC to a TV it probably won´t get the EDID and therefore you don´t get a screen. So the HTPC has to be ALWAYS the last device in chain that has to be powered on. So please try it again the way I explained above.

If you have a screen, please get me xrandr and the kodi logfile, too.

What we will do after you have a screen?....we will hardcode your EDID to your HTPC. So it won´t need the info from the connected device anymore. Probably we need openelec for this, as we might need the EDID from the Pio. But let´s get a screen first with the TV directly connected to your machine ;)

• Still no dice w/ TV. I can see the DELL splash screen w/ bios/boot options but nothing else.
    I deleted the .kodi folder to fresh install OE 6.03 and then dropped the LE 6.90 .tar file in.
    I have hooked the directly into HDMI2 (the hdmi one port has the 4k ability so thought maybe the HDMI2 would make a difference, nope). The xrandr is still showing HDMI disconnected.
    I attached xrandr directly in the forum (is that ok or upload to gdrive?)
    Here is my log w/ debug logging turned on:
    Debug Log

Let me know what you think? I would very much like to keep the HDMI feeding through my stereo if possible. I read a little about downloading the EDID from the vsx-60 but couldn't figure out exactly how or to apply it.

Thanks again for all the help and troubleshooting this with me.

• Puuuh...tbh, I'm out of ideas now. Let me sleep over it...maybe I might have an idea tomorrow.

I guess I'm stuck w/ OE 6.03... There has to be some reason or driver support or something.
    It works like a charm so I wonder what changed??

Any other DEVS out there w/ ideas or pointers?

• Could I get the EDID off right now as I have OE 6.03 up and running and then code that into the LE 6.95 build. Advanced settings or config file.
    There must be a way. Going to post over at the Kodi Forum maybe get some other ideas.

• Thanks David.
    I saw that... Was thinking of trying that but was unsure since was not getting anything at all from xrandr when connected to TV on LE6.90
    I would assume I could create the EDID from my current build then just drop the Firmware folder in new location w/ SMB and mount it to boot w/ new build like instructions say...

Will try this tomorrow night and report back. Thanks again!

• I GOT IT TO WORK! Thanks for the help David1977!
    The Custom EDID file worked great following the instructions for INTEL on OE wiki. I first created the firmware folder in .config folder from with the OE 6.03 build and then configured to boot w/ it after update using tar file.

That JARVIS splash screen was AWESOME!

So here a few things if it would help anyone out or identify what the problem is w/ build reading my EDID as I'm sure my Pioneer AVX-60 is putting one out since OE 6.03 can read it. not sure all were necessary. If something else could be helpful let me know.
    Log w/ Debug on
    xrandr
    dmesg

I will post this at my other post on the kodi official forums as well just for anyone looking for help...