2TB HDD mounting

• Hi Guys,

Boy, am I on a learning curve! I've installed LibreELEC v8.0.2 JeOS on my htpc onto a SSD. With the help from some very informative members it is now working very well thank you all.

It's installed on a previous windows 10 pc, I kept my ota tv recordings on a seperate 2TB hdd, which I can't see how to mount using LE, I thought it might be automatic recognition for the drive which is the ntfs file system. I've read various threads here and in other areas that I could use ssh for be-bugging logs but it seems I didn't enable ssh via the wizard when I first installed LE. Is there another method for doing this or am I buggerd and need to re-install. Thanks for you time.

• Hi kszaq,

Yes I found the toggle to enable ssh but how do I open the terminal/console. Not sure how you describe the place you go to use ssh or how to get there or what 'commands' to use to check to see my hdd. HELP!

• You need to SSH from another system - there is not a terminal addon for kodi.

username is root password is libreelec

Then run

Code
    df -h

and see if your harddrive is actually mounted. You may need to change permissions to write to existing folders - you can check permissions with ls

In case you need reference to commands: Common SSH Commands - Media Temple

• Hi edit4ever,

Well what do you know, I read on one of the forums including this one, looked at so many forgot where I saw it that sometimes a hard drive wouldn't be recognized by libreelec or even openelec if "safely remove hardware and eject media " wasn't adhered to, or if there was a problem with the hdd file system or something even though I removed it when windows was turned off, so I pulled it from the htpc and connected it to my other pc and did a 'Auto fix file system errors' and Scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors'. After it successfully completed I then correctly removed it from windows first by changing it to 'offline' in the right click mouse of computer to 'manage' section.

Then connected it to my LE htpc, went into system info and there it was.

All I have to do now is try to configure the tv recordings to use this hdd instead of the system one.

Didn't need the ssh after all.

Maybe somebody could advise me on the changing of the recording path for tv please.

Thanks

• Hi edit4ever,

Thanks for that will try using ssh in case of future need. If I enable ssh in the services section then is that all is required.

Would the access be http:// ip address:22 in the browser.

• putty is easy to use for ssh from another pc - i don't think you can open a terminal in a browser.

For the recording path - if you're using my addon - the setting is in the DVR configuration section

If you're using the tvheadend web interface - it's under the CONFIGURATION > RECORDING tab

you will see a Recording system path: section

Just put in the path - so for example, I have a USB drive named REC - so my path is: /var/media/REC/

LE should mount your drive to the /var/media/NAME OF YOUR DRIVE path

If you want timeshifting to work (pause live tv) - then you need to enable and set a path on that tab as well.

• Hi edit4ever,

Got putty working and the hdd is mounted as per /var/media/TV

If I want to use a particular folder that exist's on the hdd would it be ....media/TV/Recorded TV

What would the command be for viewing the folders on the hdd. Also would the whole path in putty to the particular folder be the one that I put into the tvheadend configuration-recording tab.

• through putty - you can change directory with cd - so:

cd /var/media/TV would switch to you your drive

then type ls to list all the folders/files on the drive

But here's a better tip - if you just want to browse the drive - if you enable samba in libreelec - you can browse the drive over the network from windows (or another os)

As for the path in tvheadend - yes it would be /var/media/TV/Recorded TV/

please note the last slash and for linux - upper/lower case matters :)

• If you enable samba - just browse using whatever file manager you normally use. In my case - windows explorer (not internet explorer or edge)

The system shows up on the network as whatever system name - default was LIBREELEC

If you can't see it - yes you can just type in \\your.ip.address

• HaHa I was using firefox or internet explorer, went to windows explorer and there it was-so easy when you know how.

Thanks for your patience edit4ever will try putting the info in tvheadend configuration now. Thanks a mill.

• Hi edit4ever,

Spoke to soon, thought I had it sorted. Using the tvheadend web browser I changed the recording folder to /var/media/TV/Recorded TV/ and also the default timeshift path to /var/media/TV/timeshiftbuffer/ also on the same hdd from previous setups.

changed some settings in Tvheadend setup dvr configuration from true to false for individual folders for recordings.

Trouble is when in livetv - tv recordings in the UI it doesn't show anything. The recordings are TS-MPEG2 Transport video files so shouldn't they be seen and played. It does show the hdd size of 1.7TB and also the space available.

What do you think?

• tvheadend will not be able to show previous recordings that were made before this installation. It will only have a database for recordings from this point on.

To solve combing the two - you want to setup your /var/media/TV/Recorded TV/ folder in your Kodi library.

From thej Kodi homescreen:

• select Videos
    • select Files
    • select Add videos
    • click browse
    • You may have to select Root filesystem to navigate to /media/TV/Recorded TV/ (unless TV shows up in your Home folder
    • Once you navigate to /media/TV/Recorded TV/ selectr OK - then go down and select OK
    • Then change "This directory contains to TV Shows and select OK
    • Say yes to refresh the library

This will now add all your previous (and future) recordings to the Kodi TV Shows menu item

• Hi edit4ever,

Done as you describe and it works beautifully, I really like tvheadend as well as there are lots of configurations.

Fantastic job with your guidance edit4ever, thanks heaps. live long and prosper.

Best Regards.