[8.2.3.1] LibreELEC 8.2 for S905/S905X

• S905X this device is:

cat /proc/cmdline

Code
    rootfstype=ramfs init=/init console=ttyS0,115200 no_console_suspend earlyprintk=aml-uart,0xc81004c0 ramoops.pstore_en=1 ramoops.record_size=0x8000 ramoops.console_size=0x4000 androidboot.selinux=permissive logo=osd1,loaded,0x3d800000,576cvbs maxcpus=4 vout=576cvbs,enable hdmimode=1080p60hz cvbsmode=576cvbs hdmitx= cvbsdrv=0 androidboot.firstboot=0 jtag=apao androidboot.hardware=amlogic mac=D0:76:58:0B:A8:60 androidboot.mac=D0:76:58:0B:A8:60 androidboot.slot_suffix=_a bootfromsd console=tty0 systemd.show_status=auto noswap BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=LABEL=LIBREELEC disk=LABEL=LIBREELEC_DISK
  • New test build: Index of /s905/8.2/test/20170817/

Things to test:

• patched platform_init in hope to fix no LE splash screen
    • added 1360x768 HDMI resolution (not tested, no screen with that resolution to test)
    • non-linear stretch for hardware decoded videos.

I will test it when I will come back home, I have a TV with the native resolution of 1360x768, actually where I also have the no splash issue :)

But I can only check if it fix the problem, when I upgrade starting from this build right? If so, can I test upgrading from this build to itself?

kszaq Can you please also help me with a question I placed yesterday: if I have a box without the reset hole, how can I recover from SD if I semibrick it loading a corrupted or buggy image in internal NAND?

• I will test it when I will come back home, I have a TV with the native resolution of 1360x768, actually where I also have the no splash issue

1360x768 support is only added in Kodi to confirm whether it works or not, 1360x768 splash resolution is not yet supported.

But I can only check if it fix the problem, when I upgrade starting from this build right? If so, can I test upgrading from this build to itself?

Upgrade from any other build.

kszaq Can you please also help me with a question I placed yesterday: if I have a box without the reset hole, how can I recover from SD if I semibrick it loading a corrupted or buggy image in internal NAND?

I don't know.

• Menion

In some boxes,

the "reset" function is hidden at the bottom of the AV jack.

For example:

M8_S-_II.jpg

Test if you'll hear/feel the micro button click by inserting a toothpick in the AV jack hole VERY GENTLY, when the device is completely off the power grid, of course.

If yes - proceed forward with the "normal" reset procedure...

However,

is some "karate" boxes,

"vendors" "cost-efficiently" have not installed a micro button

HTB1WWeRRpXXXXa7aXXXq6xXFXXXA.jpg_220x220.jpg

right behind AV,

No_Button.jpg

and you have to open the box and short-curcuit the empty socket pins on the bread-board to reset the device... :)

Edited 2 times, last by ChimeyJimmey (August 17, 2017 at 11:59 AM).

• Ah, I have read that some A95x have it and some not, I will check if I am lucky or not.

But what if I install TWRP? Is it possible to force reboot in TWRP in case, let's say, I brick the libreelec in nand and then reboot from SD?

• I am not acquainted "in-depth" at all what the installtointernal procedure actually does,

and if LE installation is overwritting the Android recovery partition,

but, according to section from the [HOWTO + FAQ] Install community builds on S905/S905X/S912 device

for the revert procedure you'll need the Android recovery image, so I guess it does.

Probably, for the revert procedure - you can use the TWRP image, instead of the "original" ROM recovery one...

• I am not acquainted "in-depth" at all what the installtointernal procedure actually does,

and if LE installation is overwritting the Android recovery partition,

but, according to section from the [HOWTO + FAQ] Install community builds on S905/S905X/S912 device

for the revert procedure you'll need the Android recovery image, so I guess it does.

Probably, for the revert procedure - you can use the TWRP image, instead of the "original" ROM recovery one...

No, my builds don't replace recovery. They replace device tree, that why you need recovery + dtb on SD card.

• Yes but the problem is the following

As far as I understood, the a905x uboot boots from SD only when the board is reboot in recovery mode

So, if you install Libreelec in internal NAND, you actually are exiting from recovery mode, so uboot will always try to boot from the internal NAND (application partition and not recovery partition where you have the original recovery or where TWRP will get installed eventually).

If it happens that the internal NAND (now containing Libreelec) gets corrupted (wrong, buggy, Libreelec update) then to recover (regardless if you what to reinstall Android or a working Libreleec) you must reboot in recovery again.

But since now NAND cannot boot, you cannot do any "reboot recovery", or other methods except of the toothpick method, but if you don't have the reset switch, you have to open the case and solder a short on the pad...

My doubt is about the entire boot process: in case of TWRP, will it start regardless id we are in recovery or not mode? If so, maybe it can be used to switch in recovery again and boot from a working SD card to recover everything, but I cannot find an answer on this

kszaq do you have any docs explaining in the details the boot sequence of the a905x as implemented in these Android TVs?

• As far as I understood, the a905x uboot boots from SD only when the board is reboot in recovery mode

So, if you install Libreelec in internal NAND, you actually are exiting from recovery mode, so uboot will always try to boot from the internal NAND (application partition and not recovery partition where you have the original recovery or where TWRP will get installed eventually).

Not true. You need to make your box boot once into recovery/update mode to execute aml_autoscript that modifies "normal" boot procedure and makes the box go back to "normal" mode. The script makes your box look for kernel and dtb on SD card before booting from internal. If you install LE to internal, the box keeps doing that, so if anything goes wrong with internal installation, you can still boot from SD card (unless you reset uenv). I will try to add this explanation to HOWTO at some point.

kszaq do you have any docs explaining in the details the boot sequence of the a905x as implemented in these Android TVs?

None that I know of.

I'm not sure how I do that. Does it require soldering something to the board?

You don't have to solder - I am using a "pogo" cable to connect a USB-to-Serial adapter: