Wifi Dongle not remembering password

• Hey Guys

I'm trying to get my PI3 to log on to my wifi through a wifi dongle automatically.

I'm using Libreelec as the OS

I have black listed the onboard wifi.

And the wifi dongle works great, however the problem is that it doesn't remember the password and I have to enter it every time I

turn on the Pi

I'm familiar using SSH to access the PI but I'm unsure of what file to edit or create?

Any help is appreciated.

• Hey guys thanks for the replys.

So will i need to edit a file in the connman directory or create a new one?

I found this page :

External Content gist.github.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Which seems to be on the money but is obviously a guide for open elec not the libre elec im using.?

• lrusak no i just black listed the wifi, It didnt seem to change anything when I did that however, so perhaps if I did it as your saying that would be different.

Any advice on how to do that?

After accessing /storage/.cache there are dozens of directories there all with different hex numbers looking litke this :

Code
    wifi_0013ef20018a_564944454f54524f4e32313838_managed_psk

, but the setting files of these directories are

all the same, they are all storing the wifi details, ssid password etc.

So it seems every time I reboot the wifi is assigned new set of numbers for the fist lot Ie:

wifi_00e04ccfc2b4

Every time I reboot this number is changed there for the settings file created by connman will not execute!

Any ideas?

• Official Post
    Code
    RTL871X: ERROR invalid mac addr:00:00:00:00:00:00, assign random MAC

The connection manager (connman) caches configurations in a structured format keyed on the connection type and MAC of the interface so ^ that's the problem. It doesn't forget.. it's just (correctly) presented with a new randomly generated MAC on each boot.

Code
    echo "options 8812au rtm_initmac=00:e0:4c:37:67:35" > /storage/.config/modprobe.d/8812au.conf
    or
    echo "options 8812au mac_addr=00:e0:4c:37:67:35" > /storage/.config/modprobe.d/8812au.conf

^ this is a complete guess based on 60 seconds of non-specific Googling, so I make no guarantees it will work. It is technically possible to change the MAC via ethtool commands, but really it should be done at driver load time which is what we're trying to achieve.

I don't have the code knowledge to spot if this is an issue with the driver code or not, but the lack of general comments in Google search makes me suspect it's a manufacturing issue where a blank/null MAC address is set in the device. You can argue whether that's a fault as it wouldn't cause an issue in Win/macOS, but it does here. It probably indicates a cheap device where the manufacturer hasn't been assigned unique hardware ID ranges for their devices.