NFS IPtables Troubles

• Hello Everybody,

I am currently using an Odroid C2 running the latest LibreElec. I was looking through the forums and saw that the best way to configure iptables was through autostart.sh , otherwise it will not survive a reboot. I am currently using NFS via the storage-Disk.mount feature. It works great when iptables is not present but I cannot get it to work when using iptables.

I should let you all know that I am a noob when it comes to iptables. I have been using ufw for sometime now. My server is configured with ufw and only allows in from specific ip addresses/ports. Again, this works fine when I do not have iptables running on my Odroid.

I have tried many different iptables configurations but I have not been able to get it to work. When I try to access it through Kodi, it times out and does not show that it is mounted. On my server, I allow in on the following port:111,2049,20048

Here is my most recent configuration that I tried: .25 is the server and .40 is the client. Any help would be sincerely appreciated. I do not want to allow any incoming connections to LibreElec but realize that Iptables has to have some input ability. I was using old computers running manjaro Linux before as my media centers. On those computers, I was using UFW and it was configured as "sudo ufw default deny" and it worked great.

Edited once, last by royalapple45 (July 4, 2017 at 4:26 PM).

• I was reading about the dynamic ports a little bit but glanced over them because UFW is just a front end for iptables. I figured if those were the ports that I needed for UFW, that they would also work with iptables.

I do not have rpcbind.service going on my server as I believe that it was only needed for older versions of NFS. NFS works without iptables on Libreelec so maybe I am just not understanding something.

• That could be it though. I found this forum post which states that NFSv4 was right around the corner last January.

LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0)

I might have to configure it for NFSv3 which means I would probably have to use rpcbind.service.

Anybody know if I am thinking about this wrong? If the NFS shares worked flawlessly without the firewall, does that mean LibreElec supports NFSv4?

• Libreelec 8.0 doesn't support nfs4 (is built in, but it lacks idmap i think), which would ease your way just by using port 111 and 2049. Problem is the client (v3) opens a random port below 1024, that changes for every mount. From what i know librelec doesn't provide a way to set this to a static port. Maybe a custom rebuild?, i wouldn't know where to start looking for this configuration.

You need to relax the outgoing connections, and use an input rule for established connections.

• I appreciate the response, subzero79. My question to you would be: Why does NFS work great without the firewall if the client opens a random port below 1024? My server is only configured for 111, 2049, and 20048.

Edit: I just read the Arch wiki and I believe I understand it now. In order for NFS3 to work behind a firewall, certain things have to be tweaked. If anybody cares to elaborate further while I'm sleeping, I would appreciate it.

Edited once, last by royalapple45 (July 5, 2017 at 3:30 AM).

• Is port 20048 for the mountd in the server? if so then you should add extra options in the mount command as

mountport=20048

At least i tried in my server as RPCMOUNTDOPTS="-p 20048" for nfs-kernel-server, the mount options and the ruleset you posted and it works

• I tried that and it did not work. I also tried this:

Code
    /etc/sysconfig/nfs
    Code
    STATDARG="-p 32765 -o 32766 -T 32803"

This did not work either. My next step is to switch from ufw on my server to iptables to see if that helps. I have to admit that I am feeling pretty lost right now. I still do not have rpcbind.service running. I think I may need that for NFSv3.

• Libreelec 8.0 doesn't support nfs4 (is built in, but it lacks idmap i think), which would ease your way just by using port 111 and 2049. Problem is the client (v3) opens a random port below 1024, that changes for every mount. From what i know librelec doesn't provide a way to set this to a static port. Maybe a custom rebuild?, i wouldn't know where to start looking for this configuration.

You need to relax the outgoing connections, and use an input rule for established connections.

LE8 supports NFS4 client connections (through mount/kernel), idmap is only needed server side.

• Thanks for the response Escalade. I ran the following command to check to see that idmap was fully working:

cat /sys/module/nfsd/parameters/nfs4_disable_idmapping

It returned a Y so it is working. I am thinking that it is just my firewall configuration.

I got it to work with a basic configuration to deny incoming connections. I really was overthinking it. Here is the configuration that I used:

Edited 3 times, last by royalapple45: I figured it out. (July 5, 2017 at 7:31 PM).

• LE8 supports NFS4 client connections (through mount/kernel), idmap is only needed server side.

Seems like mount in lacking support.

Code
    beelink:~/nfs # mount -o vers=4 10.10.0.12:/videos test
    mount: NFSv4 not supported
    mount: mounting 10.10.0.12:/videos on test failed
    beelink:~/nfs # mount -t nfs4 -o vers=4 10.10.0.12:/videos test
    mount: NFSv4 not supported
    mount: mounting 10.10.0.12:/videos on test failed
    beelink:~/nfs #

Testing in debian you can mount nfsv4 with idmap disabled in server and client.