Setting up LibreELEC on a Rpi3

• Hi,

For various difference reasons I'm looking to set up my Kodi install again from scratch - it runs on a Raspberry Pi3.

I set the original install up ages ago with my Raspberry Pi 1 and Kodi Frodo and have transferred it through ever since, when I set this up originally I kept receiving errors with the system becoming corrupt - I found out that this was due to issue with the Rpi1 not being able to read and write to the memory card at the same time, and so I followed an online guide to set the storage up with a memory stick as system and a flash card as system - this worked very well.

So my question is, now that I'm using a Rp3 and we're several years down the line, do I still need to set up my system with a memory stick and a SD card to avoid memory card corruption? Or can I simply run the LibreElec install as per the instructions on the Wiki and assume everything will be fine...?

Thanks.

• Official Post

As far as I know, SD card corruption caused by (our) software has come down to a very minimum. Most sd card corruptions will be caused by flaky card overall quality. Use one of the well-known sd card manufacturers and you should be fine. Another choice would be to choose a sd card which is used in dashcams or video cameras. They tend to have a better record of data retention.

The biggest user of disk access is Kodi's video library file, which is being updated with every video access, start and stop. Using an external mysql database will limit wear and tear on the sd card. Writing new log files also eats a fair number of data.

In the latest Raspberry Pi firmwares, it is possible to boot from USB media. Connect an external SSD with TRIM capabilities and you should be fine the next couple of years.