Scripts clean used for busybox casuses rebuilt toolchain

• Using the clean script for busybox seem to cause a rebuild of the build environment(, and fails with compilation of e2fsprogs).

(same for using the clean script for e2fsprogs)

Initial state:

Initially I successfully compiled an 'stock' 8.0.2 image (see [Fixed] Compile error LE 8.0.1, xz: (stdin): File format not recognized), following the wiki page: index.php?title=Compile

Re-compile busybox

To re-compile busybox (e.g. without any config changes made yet) I expected the following would be the required steps:

PROJECT=RPi2 ARCH=arm scripts/clean busybox

PROJECT=RPi2 ARCH=arm make image

I hoped the script more to behave like:

cd ~/LibreELEC.tv/build.LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.1/busybox-1.25.1/

make clean

cd ~/LibreELEC.tv/build.LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.1/.stamps

rm -r busybox

Questions

1) Is it expected behaviour that 'scripts/clean busybox' cause so many packages to be rebuild?

2) What are the advised steps to re-compile busybox for the target (PRi2)?

3) Is it possible/needed to properly fix the 'Permission denied' failures for re-compiling e2fsprogs?

4) Is there a fix for the second make error "Could NOT find FreeType (missing: FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR) (found version "18.5.12")"?

Resulting steps

(long list just to give in idea how many packages are rebuild)

Error e2fsprogs:

Code
    make[1]: Leaving directory '~/LibreELEC.tv.test/build.LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.2/e2fsprogs-1.43.3/.x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/ext2fs'
    cp: cannot create regular file '~/LibreELEC.tv.test/build.LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.2/toolchain/lib/libcom_err.a': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file '~/LibreELEC.tv.test/build.LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.2/toolchain/lib/libext2fs.a': Permission denied
    Makefile:12: recipe for target 'image' failed
    make: *** [image] Error 1

Workaround for 'Permission denied' failure

Code
    ls -la ~/LibreELEC.tv.test/build.LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.2/toolchain/lib/libcom_err.a
    ls -la ~/LibreELEC.tv.test/build.LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.2/toolchain/lib/libext2fs.a
    mv ~/LibreELEC.tv.test/build.LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.2/toolchain/lib/libcom_err.a ~/LibreELEC.tv.test/build.LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.2/toolchain/lib/libcom_err.a.orig
    mv ~/LibreELEC.tv.test/build.LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.2/toolchain/lib/libext2fs.a ~/LibreELEC.tv.test/build.LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.2/toolchain/lib/libext2fs.a.orig
    PROJECT=RPi2 ARCH=arm scripts/clean e2fsprogs
    PROJECT=RPi2 ARCH=arm make imag
  • Second part

After building a lot of packages make fails while building kodi

PROJECT=RPi2 ARCH=arm make image

Failure messages

• I'm building in a vm with Ubuntu 16.04.

Ok, so the e2fsprogs re-build issues is a known/resolved issue for a future release.

(I'm not familiar with github enough to find more details about commit 14f5fef e.g. why didn't it make it in 8.0.x.)