Update Samba and support DisplayPort

• Hello,

i was testing Libreelec after using Openelec. I was not able to browse the Network shares in Libreelec, but in Openelec.

After some testing, i found that Libreelec must use a old samba version. Because i had disable SMBv1 on my windows machine, i wasnt able to browse.

Microsoft recommend to disable SMBv1 because its old, slow and insecure, you may heard about Wannacry Ransomware.

Stop using SMB1 | Storage at Microsoft

So if someone use and unpatched/infected windows machine, this machine is able to encrypt Libreelec shares. Im not sure if old samba is an issue itself or can be an infect host, but i think is not a good idea to use such old version.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My other request is to support DisplayPort, as far as i know its not possible to use DisplayPort with any type of machine with Libre or Openelec. In my case i use a Zotac Zbox ci323 nano. It works with VGA and HDMI, but no chance with Displayport.

best regards, and thanks :)

• Official Post

Samba update is tentatively scheduled for an 8.2 release we'll do over the summer after Linux 4.12 ships. There are some issues with SMB browsing via Kodi with newer version(s) of Samba that we are still trying to understand.

The version of Samba we use is not vulnerable to the SMB exploit as compile options we set disable the vulnerable code path.

NB: DisplayPort has been supported for a long time and works - on latest generation NUC device it's the only way of getting HD audio to work. If it does not work for you it's down to a combination of your hardware, BIOS firmware, bad connectors or PEBKAC.

• Displayport must be a problem with drivers for this devices zbox ci323 nano, because it works without problems in bios and windows. only when libre or openelec are booted, the signal goes away. its the same with latest linux mint and ubuntu, only windows works.

• The version of Samba we use is not vulnerable to the SMB exploit as compile options we set disable the vulnerable code path.

The issue is not so much that people are worried about the LE machine being exploited.

People are nervous about leaving SMB v1 enabled on their Windows machine. For some time it's been highly advised to disable it (and these recent exploits show why). Right now Kodi (on linux) users can't do that or they'll lose access to their shares.

• Official Post

You're preaching to the converted. The difference between OE and LE is that one-man-project OE enabled Samba 4 without testing first. LE likes to test and so far we noticed some issues with Kodi (which depends on the OS libsmbclient implementation). We are still investigating some changes and dead code clear-up in Kodi, e.g. removing incorrect smb.conf configuration and hacks that date back to Xbox days.